Old 08-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #1  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

Post New to 3FC.com

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to 3FC.com but not to being a FC...lol. I've been struggling with my weight since my parents split in 1993. It was the start of a long line of emotional eating. (blah!) I struggled through high school with the whole feeling like I wasn't normal because I was overweight. Since high school... I feel much more normal these days even though I weigh so gosh darn much! My highest weight of all (some time last year) was 308! I weighed in on 01-01-05 @ 292. When I went back up around 302 I decided it was time to make a change. I decided the perfect start date for me would be my 23rd birthday. I'd give myself until my 25th b-day to reach my goal weight of 140. So on 4-13-05, I weighed in @ 296. Blah... Time went on and I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be... I gained only two more pounds... Finally I thought, I'm not getting any younger. I'm coming to an age where marriage and kids are high on priority list and I'm not going to do those things being overweight! After doing a lot of research... (I found out to maintain a weight of about 300 at my height of 5'8" with no exercise I had to consume over 4000 cals a day... GOOD GAWD!) So on June 2nd, 2005... I stepped on my new BF% scale and weighed in. 298.6 40% body fat... Since then, I've been doing Taebo M-F and eating lean cuisines for lunch. I try to make sure I eat at least the minimums from the food pyramid and eat around 2000 cals a day since that's what someone my goal weight could eat. I also started a weight loss jar that I put $10 a week into for getting up and exercising @ 5:30 am before work (so hard for me... I'm not an early morning person!) And, for every 10 pounds I lose, I am going to do a weight loss gift (i.e. CD's or movies) For every 50 pounds something bigger like a spa day or something. And, when I reach my goal weight, for every 6 months (?) I maintain give or take 5 pounds... I'll do something big for myself too like go on a weekend get away or something. Anyway, I weigh in on the 13th & 26th of each month. So, on July 26th... I weighed in at 286 and 39% BF.

I joined 3FC because who can't use support from other people who are going through similar things!? Since I've been losing weight, I feel like I am even more aware of my size and it's kind of depressing! Does anyone know if 12 pounds in about two months is good? I feel like it is because from my research 1-2 pounds a week is recommended. But since I am SO overweight, should I be losing more at first? Also, does anyone who has lost a lot of weight have any tips for avoiding loose hanging skin... Call me petty but I am deathly afraid that I'll get it. And, while it would be awesome to not care what I look like and only want to lose weight to be healthy... let's face it... I want to look as hot as I'll feel when I reach 140-ish!

Finally... I want to say, that I was reading a lot of these posting prior to doing my own and to anyone who doesn't feel normal... What's normal!? Is it normal to weigh 100 pounds, get full from a stick of celery, and be the snobbiest person alive? I don't think so! From what I read so far... you guys are awesome! I'm glad to have joined 3FC... So, now that I have wrote a mini-novel... I'm going to go! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by SnShn13; 08-08-2005 at 09:56 AM.
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #2  
One pound at a time...

Good Morning and Welcome! I am a newbie myself, but have found the support here fantastic. It is so nice to read postings of people going through the same thing that you are. I find you also learn a lot from other people in the forum, which for me is a morale booster! There are some great threads that help you hold yourself accountable, the weekly weigh in as well as the Journel Buddy thread where you can detail what you eat every day. Post often!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #3  
Downsizing Dee!

Hi Sarah,
Welcome the 3FC community. You've certainly come the right place for support.

I'm not sure exactly what advise I could offer about how much weight you should be losing, but it sounds like you're well on plan so far. It certainly doesn't seem like you're losing too quickly, seems about right to me.

Post often and ask lots of questions - everyone here will certainly support you and help you in any way they can!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Welcome .::s.a.r.a.h::.
I think you did a wonderful job planning your weight loss and rewards.
As far as weight loss per month that depends on the person. I tend to be a snail when it comes to monthly loss. I average 5 lbs a month.
As far as hanging skin you can do a seach on that question here I'm sure you'll find your answer.
Noticing my size was also a big Shock to me! I'm now working on healthy habits. Had I stayed in my bubble I don't know how unhealthy my weight would have become. When I do get upset thinking on how I let myself go. I think how much I have learned from that and how far I have came in my food/workout knowledge. You've lost 12 lbs, you have a wonderful plan that is working great for you. Pat yourself on the back your doing it!!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome! Your doing great. 12 lbs in two months is awsome. Some lose quicker some slower but as long as your going down your doing great. What you have lost goes right along with your two year plan also. 6 to 8 lbs a month would have you at your goal in 2 years.

As for the lose skin sorry to say that does not go away so easy. It does tighten up some but it's still there. I've heard some say that after seven years of maintaining a lower weight that it will tighten but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. I've also heard that if you take your plan to were you should be body fat wise that it will tighten. Again no proof. I can say that no matter how much skin is there you are going to feel so much better and be so much more healthy that it's well worth it. You are younger too so that will help you.

Keep up the good work.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #6  

Hi .::s.a.r.a.h::. and welcome! I like how you've got your goals and rewards set out too, it sounds like an awesome plan! As for the skin issue, well that's a tough one. A lot of people believe that if you take the weight off slowly, keep yourself well hydrated and keep the skin well moisturized, that it will go a long way in reducing the amount of excess skin you will end up with. I tend to think that if you're gonna have it, you're gonna have it, and there's not a whole lot that can really be done about it. Some people are blessed with naturally youthful, elastic skin that can bounce right back after weight loss. I, unfortunately, am not one of them. It has a lot to do with your age and how long you've been overweight (I've been obese my entire life). You should definitely check out Weight Loss And Skin FAQs in the maintainer's forum to learn all you could ever want to know (and then some!) about excess skin.

Again, I want to say welcome and good luck. This is a great group of people so make yourself at home!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #7  

Dear Bev,
I have been a lurker here and have enjoyed all of your comments and you all have encouraged me by your postings. But had to respond Bev to your post here such great info. I went to the sight about skin questions a fear I am now sure I will have to face. I love your blog and can't wait to go purchase Tales from the Scale. Thank you Thank You Thank You. You give me such motivation. Happy for you in the thin world. Please don't stop posting I love the prods!!!!
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #8  

mezermerize can't tell you how much your quote has helped me. Numerous times it seems so overwhelming and I think hey just ten more times of this ten pounds
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome, Sarah.

12 pounds in 2 months is a great rate. You've made a cracking start!

As for loose skin, after dropping just 36 pounds I can already see I'm going to have a fair amount of it. I've been obese for most of my adult life (I'm 39) and have lots of stretch marks on my tummy and the backs of my upper arms. The elasticity in my skin simply isn't there now. Being a lump younger than I, you might be luckier in that respect. Whilst I'd love not to have the loose skin, it's infinitely preferable to being massively overweight, so I know I can live it.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #10  

Wow, thanks luflic that just made my day!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #11  
undeniably moby

Welcome .::sarah::.! You definitely came to the right place. The people here are kind, funny, supportive, and non-judgmental (something I haven't seen on a whole lot of other message boards of this nature).

I love your $10 a week for getting up and exercising reward. Is it okay if I steal the idea? Because I think I just did!

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you around.
satylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #12  
Tenacious

Welcome to the forum Sarah! I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss goals and I have to say that I am so impressed that at 23 you've already set such impressive goals for yourself! I wish I had been that focused about changing what needed to be changed when I was your age. As far as your weight loss - I think you're doing wonderful. Of course everyone wants to lose weight fast - but you're doing it the healthy way. Loose skin - it happens. But you're young so you have that going for you.
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #13  

Hey Sarah,

Welcome to 3FC, you have come to the right place, the best inspiration i have had i have absorbed from the people in this community. It's always easier to be succesful at something when you surround your self with likeminded people.

paul
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #14  
Laura

Welcome!

I'm so glad you found us and I think 12 pounds in 2 months sounds AWESOME! Keep up the great work!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hello!! Ok, so I am late...but Welcome anyways!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote