Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

Default Will I ever be able to be the size I want to be?

For all of you trying to lose weight and for those of you that have, I have a question. I love my mother to death, but whenever I tell her that I'd love to be a size 2 (it's mainly just a joke), she says, "now don't take this the wrong way, but i doubt that will happen for you". I played soccer growing up, so i have athletic legs, and with all this extra fat, they're pretty much thunder thighs. I don't want chicken legs, but i would love to be able to fit my butt and thighs into skinny jeans (if i wanted to) WHEN i get down to a reasonable weight. I've said the same thing about being 120 pounds one day. I'm 317 now. I hear from everyone that i'll never be 120 and i'll never get to wear skinny jeans. Are they just trying to save me from the heartache if that day never comes for me? Should I stop thinking like that and just settle for something more realistic? :/

Has anyone said the same to you and you proved them wrong?
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #2  

That is so far away it seems unrealistic to me at this point. (me being that small, not directed at you )My suggestion is take mini goals. I can't lose 140 lbs. but I can lose 5 lbs. then I can lose 5 more pounds.. I can do that 28 times. Don't focus too far ahead because you will frustrate yourself.

Last edited by Neast; 06-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Neast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #3  
Golden Goose

I do have mini goals, but in order for me to keep up with something, i have to have this big picture in mind, you know, something to look forward to when it's all said and done. I'm not frustrated with it either, it's everyone else around me that is. And that is what's frustrating me.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Don't settle, but also don't hold yourself to an impossible standard. Your body is unique to you. Me, I don't think I could ever rock a skinny jean. Even at a lower weight, I'm still pretty pear-shaped. The point is that no matter what you weigh, you'll get a better result if you focus on dressing YOUR body in the most flattering way - not necessarily trying to make your body shape conform to the current trend.

At 5'10", 120 isn't a normal weight - it would be pretty underweight for that height. But you don't really care about the number on the scale - you care about how you look! With each inch of height, you can weigh a bit more and still look great. Don't hold yourself against an ideal weight for someone 6 inches shorter than you.

I'm trying to make sure you don't take this in a discouraging way -- don't stop envisioning your future success. Just be open to revisiting that final number as you progress.

Last edited by Desiderata; 06-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #5  
Golden Goose

"The point is that no matter what you weigh, you'll get a better result if you focus on dressing YOUR body in the most flattering way - not necessarily trying to make your body shape conform to the current trend."

I totally understand what you're saying here. I've never dressed myself sloppy, i've always chosen things that complimented my body. My goal is 150, because that's ideal for my height, but I do like to wonder what it'd be like if I could ever wear the things that "skinny" girls wear everyday. I'm still young, so maybe that's why i think that. I honestly can't see myself wearing any of that stuff or even having a super flat stomach, so i'm not going to get my hopes up, but i'd rather dream big and only get halfway there, because then i'd know i didn't limit myself and gave it my all.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ok, please remember that I'm a lot shorter than you, but...

growing up I was always told that I wasn't built to be a size 2, I wouldn't be able to get down to the small sizes, etc. I can actually wear a size 0 (and I could even at the weight I want to gain back up to) and I didn't starve myself or anything to get down this low—actually I can't seem to eat enough!

I almost felt like saying "HEY EVERYONE SUCK IT" when I slipped on my first pair of size 0s.

That said, I'm glad you seem to realize that 120 is a bit unrealistic for you. **** even size 2 might be because you're quite tall, but it all depends on your build. Just be careful
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #7  
Golden Goose

The main reason it bugs me, is because of my legs. I don't want "big" legs. My mother says i'll always have big legs. The size 2 really was just a joke. I don't want my bones popping out and I want doctors off my back for my weight, so i wouldn't want them complaining that i'm underweight, lol.

My main goals are to look good in a swimsuit (whether that be a one piece or not), the ability to wear skirts and shorts that don't go to my knees, a little above, but not crotch riders, lmao. I just want to feel normal. Now, i only wear shorts that go to my knees. I NEVER wear skirts because my thighs rub together and it hurts. Those are my REAL goals, so don't worry, i'm not in la la land. It's just going to be very upsetting if i lose all the weight and my thighs still rub, so i can't wear skirts and the few things that i want to. Yes, i'll be healthier, but i won't be much happier. My goals aren't unrealistic in my opinion. I honestly just want to be normal and not feel like a fat girl.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I have relatively big thighs for my height and weight. I have always been built like a sprinter, and even though my legs are big, they are meaty! It used to bother me, and I definitely do not rock the skinny jeans well, but screw it!

I found ways to embrace my super thighs! I can do the most amazing squats and maintain difficult moves in dance class much longer and much deeper than anyone else. No one is probably actually jealous, but I feel darn good about it every time I squat almost to the floor and keep it there while rocking out to Zumba moves with my arms! My super quads do allow me to accelerate very quickly when I do run, so even though I stink at distance, I can still outrun men and women who are technically more athletic than me for short distances.

So I cant wear certain styles on the bottom, so what? Weight loss is a huge mind makeover, especially how we view success and accepting our bodies...along the way and at goal!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

It is my prediction that being as young and being as tall as you are, if you do weight training along with the other things you are doing, that you will look fantastic even before you hit your goal of 150.

If you ever watch The Biggest Loser, those women really start to look great well before they ever are done on the show, and it is due in large part to all the weight training they do.

There is nothing stopping you from going as far as you wish in this weightloss journey, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to discover you don't have to be 120 lbs to be smokin' hot.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Slush, when you say you want to be a size 2 your mother probably has no idea of what a size 2 looks llike the same with the number on a scale , I would say many people don't have a clue what a 120 pound person looks like, as a matter of fact 120 pounds on me may look completely different on some one else.
If I were you I would stop mentioning a number either of a clothing size or of pounds you want to weigh, keep that your secret. If anyone asks how much you want to lose say something like"I'll see when I get there" or some other vague answer.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #11  
Golden Goose

Thank you all for the advice. gardend1va, I never looked at it that way before, and you're right about the people from the biggest loser. I saved a video of these sisters when they did the show. They looked AMAZING after.

"If anyone asks how much you want to lose say something like"I'll see when I get there" or some other vague answer." I think i'm going to do this from now on. The less people know, the better. :P
Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I just want to interject that you do not have to be stick thin to rock some skinny Jeans. I'm 189, 5'6 and I wear skinny Jeans. I think I look fabulous in them. I think you'll be in skinny Jeans long before you hit 130. I know I am, and I'm living every minute of my new (though still overweight) bod.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

We're about the same height and I've always thought of my thighs as irremediably large. (A former boyfriend called them piano legs.) I'm now able to fit into a size 4 and nobody's calling my thighs thunderous anymore. At 55 I have several pairs of skinny jeans, including a bright fuchsia pair.

If you lose enough weight, eventually it'll come off your thighs. Just don't get obsessive about the skinny-jeans goal. Go slow and steady and enjoy the scenery along the way!

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 06-26-2012 at 11:08 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I am very short and have thunder thighs. I always had them (I'm 47 now) and hated them all my life. Now that I am getting to my goal, I notice the proportions in my body are the same: I am skinny from the waist up, practically skin and bone, and I am still a little chubby in my hips and thighs. In spite of that, people tell me I look great, and ask me to stop losing weight. Some of them really look worried! And I know my thighs are big in comparison to the rest of my body, but I am the only one that seems to notice. Probably in a swimsuit everbody would notice this, but I don't wear swimsuits to work or to go out with friends... So, my piece of advice is that you learn to love your shape and make the best of it, now and later. Your legs may be thick, but they can get muscular if you train a lot, and many men love muscular legs! So go for the muscles and stop thinking about fitting in somebody else's clothes. Find your own style and rock it!

Last edited by inglesita64; 06-26-2012 at 11:18 PM.
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't know, how much does height play in jean sizes?

If you are healthy and have no medical issues (PCOS, thyroid, etc) and you work hard enough eating the right foods and working out then you can probably reach your goals. There's a fitness model named Jennifer Nichole Lee... she's 5'9", started at 200+ pounds and now weighs in the 120s and looks great, so it is possible for some people
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote