Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Make him stooooppp!

So, my brother is constantly trying to help me lose weight by giving me advice. I know he means well, but it's like... I already know what to do. I know how to burn calories, I know how to exercise, I know what exercises I like and what ones I don't, etcetcetc. I don't want advice unless I ask for it. I don't know how to tell him that without hurting his feelings. How do y'all deal with people like that?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

My parents are like that..

And to be honest.. I just agree with them.. and then ignore it as best as possible. Probably not the best way to deal with the situation... but.... I cant really do much about it.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #3  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Imnotperfect24

I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

Most of the time, they only mean well. So don't take it personal. I know it can be annoying; I hate when people do it too.

But I tend to just think of it as motivation to keep going.
And also that they're trying to motivate us to continue.

Look at it on the positive side, at least he's not being negative about your lifestyle change!! xoxo
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

Try changing the subject to something he's interested in. Sports, current events, etc.
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Ditto. Grin and bear it. I will listen and then blow it off. Hopefully it's short and sweet. Or you could start saying, "oh yea, you told me that last week."

However, men seem to respond well to directness, not hinting, and are less offended by it than women can be. It might work just as well to thank him, tell him you know that he means well, but you will ask him if you want advice from him.

I had one friend, a man, keep telling me, don't diet, just eat healthy and exercise. "That's what I do," he'd say. I'd just nod and agree, and just let him give me his advice. Finally I told him, "First of all, you're a man. You can probably change what you eat and lose weight a lot easier than I can. It's not as easy for me. It takes 3000 calories to lose a pound, and my goal is to reduce my calories by 500 calories a day and lose about a pound a week." When I spelled out what I was doing and demonstrated that I have a few functioning connections in my brain, he backed off. People must think that as soon as you say the word "diet" you're doing some crazy crash dieting stuff.... He really annoyed the heck out of me with his advice until I said that.

Last edited by twinieten; 05-27-2012 at 08:44 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #6  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm guilty of doing this to my husband. He finally straight up told me to stop obsessing and talking about it all of the time. I still talk about calories and weight loss etc. with him, but not like I used to.
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think you should tell him that it makes you feel like he thinks you don't know what to do, which you do.

Personally, I'm for standing up for yourself when something bugs you, even if it is something small.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #8  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

I agree, maybe tell him that you appreciate that he's in your corner, but his constant advice makes you feel criticized, and that's an emotional trigger for you, and its having the opposite effect that he wants. I'd tell him that you'll definitely come to him if you need advice.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9  

Height: 5'1"

I'm sure he just wants to help. Is there some way he CAN help you? Make him a part of your plan. Maybe go for a walk with you, or exercise? Try not to get annoyed, he loves you and wants what's best for you.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #10  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybunny29 View Post
I agree, maybe tell him that you appreciate that he's in your corner, but his constant advice makes you feel criticized, and that's an emotional trigger for you, and its having the opposite effect that he wants. I'd tell him that you'll definitely come to him if you need advice.
DITTO this!!
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #11  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybunny29 View Post
I'm in this camp. He's being a douche: why should our OP smile politely and nod?

If it were me, I would tell him thank you for his concern and then explain that I am not an idiot and that I know what I am doing and have no need for his opining.

I cannot stand it when people who know less about something than I do try to school me in that subject and talk to me as though I'm a moron. I put the kabosh on it in very direct language.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #12  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

You could politely point out that men and women lose weight differently, which they definitely do! That could open up discussion for healthy and effective ways he can support you...maybe he can be your kickboxing dummy or something
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote