3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   NSV...holy ****! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/258903-nsv-holy-%2A%2A%2A%2A.html)

Snoofie 05-12-2012 03:41 PM

NSV...holy ****!

Last night at work, it was ridiculously slow (I work at the local Y) and so, at a particularly boring time of night, I decided to bite the bullet and get the head trainer to redo my body composition analysis (the last one I had done was in late February.)

I set my goal BF% at 28% (since the last time, it was at 34%) and we put in my gender (female), my age (32), my height (5') and my body type (athletic).

When the results came out, the trainer went, "Holy....****."

And I was standing there going, "What? WHAT?! Oh my god, it's horrendous, isn't it? I'm half fat, aren't I? WHAT?!"

And he says, "In order for you to get to 28% body fat....you'll have to gain eleven pounds."

.......Pardon me?

But he was right. As of last night, I am at 22.4% body fat. And yeah, yeah, I know....those body fat analyzers are not as accurate as being measured with calipers. I know that. But there's no way they're that far off-base. Like, I doubt that I'm really at 40% body fat or something.

I'm just amazed, because on my last analysis, I was at 34%. I guess that weight training is paying off! And I guess that explains, too, why no one ever believes that I weigh as much as I do....because I don't have that much fat. (According to the analysis, out of my 140 pounds of total weight, only 32 pounds is fat.)

Let me tell you, I have been on cloud ten ever since last night! *L*

JossFit 05-12-2012 03:43 PM

Congratulations! :cheer:

LockItUp 05-12-2012 04:02 PM

That's awesome! I have one of those hand held ones, it has me at 38%, I had my body fat done at the gym with calipers, 7 spots, and it was 33.6%! So yes it was off, but it was higher than the calipers.

So even if it's off by a little bit that's seriously so freaking great! Good going!

irishcanary 05-12-2012 04:02 PM

Thats awesome and you are inspiration :)

rainydays 05-12-2012 04:25 PM

That's great!

JohnP 05-12-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoofie (Post 4330927)
As of last night, I am at 22.4% body fat. And yeah, yeah, I know....those body fat analyzers are not as accurate as being measured with calipers. I know that. But there's no way they're that far off-base.

For your edification BIA prediction has a margin of error of about 8% so the most you could be at is around 30%.

KittyKatFan 05-12-2012 05:47 PM

That's tremendous. Congratulations.

WildThings 05-12-2012 06:14 PM

Yay!!!

Snoofie 05-12-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4331024)
For your edification BIA prediction has a margin of error of about 8% so the most you could be at is around 30%.

Well, actually, I'd be pleased enough with 30%. I also realize that because my analysis was done pretty much at the end of the day (I hadn't eaten in about six hours, but I *had* consumed about 3 cups of water an hour beforehand) it may have been off by a bit. But if you don't mind, I think I'll go with the 22%. In addition, what I've read has BIA at a margin of error of +/-3%. Of course, my sources may be wrong, but that's the most prevalent number I'm finding.

We did a second analysis, using the ridiculous goal BF of 15%, and according to that, I'd have to lose 10 pounds to reach that goal. But, I have no desire to bring myself down to that level....15% body fat just sounds way too low to me, and I've got enough hormonal problems without dropping that low.

JohnP 05-12-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoofie (Post 4331095)
In addition, what I've read has BIA at a margin of error of +/-3%. Of course, my sources may be wrong, but that's the most prevalent number I'm finding.

I've never heard BIA had a 3% margin of error. Perhaps that information comes from the manufacturer?

Here is my source.

Here is another study showing similar results.

And another.

By the way - I am in no way trying to invalidate your results. The point is that BIA is not accurate. I wish it were.

As for the 3% figure ... even a DEXA scan has a margin or error of 2% so I find it incredibly difficult to believe BIA could have a 3% margin.

caramelkitty 05-12-2012 09:27 PM

WOW That's amazing!!!! Good for you snoofie!! I'm gonna go into my local gym to see a buddy and have him do my Body Composition Analysis too!! :)

twinieten 05-12-2012 11:02 PM

Now that's a great NSV!! :trampo:

Snoofie 05-13-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4331193)
I've never heard BIA had a 3% margin of error. Perhaps that information comes from the manufacturer?

Here is my source.

Here is another study showing similar results.

And another.

By the way - I am in no way trying to invalidate your results. The point is that BIA is not accurate. I wish it were.

As for the 3% figure ... even a DEXA scan has a margin or error of 2% so I find it incredibly difficult to believe BIA could have a 3% margin.

No, my numbers did not come from the manufacturer.

Dude, seriously? For someone who's "not trying to invalidate my results", you're doing a damn good job of it -- and getting on my damn nerves in the process. I AM HAPPY WITH MY RESULTS AND WOULD BE EVEN AT 8% HIGHER. There is really no need to go citing sources to try and prove that you're right, because I don't give a ****.

lm3898 05-13-2012 08:19 AM

Congrats Snoofie that's an awesome accomplishment!!!!

nelie 05-13-2012 08:25 AM

In doing most any body fat analysis, the change is generally what matters, not the actual number and you've had a huge change. Congrats!