3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   NSV...holy ****! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/258903-nsv-holy-%2A%2A%2A%2A.html)

Snoofie 05-12-2012 03:41 PM

NSV...holy ****!

Last night at work, it was ridiculously slow (I work at the local Y) and so, at a particularly boring time of night, I decided to bite the bullet and get the head trainer to redo my body composition analysis (the last one I had done was in late February.)

I set my goal BF% at 28% (since the last time, it was at 34%) and we put in my gender (female), my age (32), my height (5') and my body type (athletic).

When the results came out, the trainer went, "Holy....****."

And I was standing there going, "What? WHAT?! Oh my god, it's horrendous, isn't it? I'm half fat, aren't I? WHAT?!"

And he says, "In order for you to get to 28% body fat....you'll have to gain eleven pounds."

.......Pardon me?

But he was right. As of last night, I am at 22.4% body fat. And yeah, yeah, I know....those body fat analyzers are not as accurate as being measured with calipers. I know that. But there's no way they're that far off-base. Like, I doubt that I'm really at 40% body fat or something.

I'm just amazed, because on my last analysis, I was at 34%. I guess that weight training is paying off! And I guess that explains, too, why no one ever believes that I weigh as much as I do....because I don't have that much fat. (According to the analysis, out of my 140 pounds of total weight, only 32 pounds is fat.)

Let me tell you, I have been on cloud ten ever since last night! *L*

JossFit 05-12-2012 03:43 PM

Congratulations! :cheer:

LockItUp 05-12-2012 04:02 PM

That's awesome! I have one of those hand held ones, it has me at 38%, I had my body fat done at the gym with calipers, 7 spots, and it was 33.6%! So yes it was off, but it was higher than the calipers.

So even if it's off by a little bit that's seriously so freaking great! Good going!

irishcanary 05-12-2012 04:02 PM

Thats awesome and you are inspiration :)

rainydays 05-12-2012 04:25 PM

That's great!

JohnP 05-12-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoofie (Post 4330927)
As of last night, I am at 22.4% body fat. And yeah, yeah, I know....those body fat analyzers are not as accurate as being measured with calipers. I know that. But there's no way they're that far off-base.

For your edification BIA prediction has a margin of error of about 8% so the most you could be at is around 30%.

KittyKatFan 05-12-2012 05:47 PM

That's tremendous. Congratulations.

WildThings 05-12-2012 06:14 PM

Yay!!!

Snoofie 05-12-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4331024)
For your edification BIA prediction has a margin of error of about 8% so the most you could be at is around 30%.

Well, actually, I'd be pleased enough with 30%. I also realize that because my analysis was done pretty much at the end of the day (I hadn't eaten in about six hours, but I *had* consumed about 3 cups of water an hour beforehand) it may have been off by a bit. But if you don't mind, I think I'll go with the 22%. In addition, what I've read has BIA at a margin of error of +/-3%. Of course, my sources may be wrong, but that's the most prevalent number I'm finding.

We did a second analysis, using the ridiculous goal BF of 15%, and according to that, I'd have to lose 10 pounds to reach that goal. But, I have no desire to bring myself down to that level....15% body fat just sounds way too low to me, and I've got enough hormonal problems without dropping that low.

JohnP 05-12-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoofie (Post 4331095)
In addition, what I've read has BIA at a margin of error of +/-3%. Of course, my sources may be wrong, but that's the most prevalent number I'm finding.

I've never heard BIA had a 3% margin of error. Perhaps that information comes from the manufacturer?

Here is my source.

Here is another study showing similar results.

And another.

By the way - I am in no way trying to invalidate your results. The point is that BIA is not accurate. I wish it were.

As for the 3% figure ... even a DEXA scan has a margin or error of 2% so I find it incredibly difficult to believe BIA could have a 3% margin.

caramelkitty 05-12-2012 09:27 PM

WOW That's amazing!!!! Good for you snoofie!! I'm gonna go into my local gym to see a buddy and have him do my Body Composition Analysis too!! :)

twinieten 05-12-2012 11:02 PM

Now that's a great NSV!! :trampo:

Snoofie 05-13-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4331193)
I've never heard BIA had a 3% margin of error. Perhaps that information comes from the manufacturer?

Here is my source.

Here is another study showing similar results.

And another.

By the way - I am in no way trying to invalidate your results. The point is that BIA is not accurate. I wish it were.

As for the 3% figure ... even a DEXA scan has a margin or error of 2% so I find it incredibly difficult to believe BIA could have a 3% margin.

No, my numbers did not come from the manufacturer.

Dude, seriously? For someone who's "not trying to invalidate my results", you're doing a damn good job of it -- and getting on my damn nerves in the process. I AM HAPPY WITH MY RESULTS AND WOULD BE EVEN AT 8% HIGHER. There is really no need to go citing sources to try and prove that you're right, because I don't give a ****.

lm3898 05-13-2012 08:19 AM

Congrats Snoofie that's an awesome accomplishment!!!!

nelie 05-13-2012 08:25 AM

In doing most any body fat analysis, the change is generally what matters, not the actual number and you've had a huge change. Congrats!

JohnP 05-13-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoofie (Post 4331378)
No, my numbers did not come from the manufacturer.

Dude, seriously? For someone who's "not trying to invalidate my results", you're doing a damn good job of it -- and getting on my damn nerves in the process. I AM HAPPY WITH MY RESULTS AND WOULD BE EVEN AT 8% HIGHER. There is really no need to go citing sources to try and prove that you're right, because I don't give a ****.

An 8% margin of error means you could be at most 30% or you could also be as low as 16%. I really don't see how this takes anything away from your accomplishments. It simply means that BIA is not an accurate way to measure body fat. If you want accuracy you have to pay for it. Hydrostatic weighing or dexa scan.

The only reason I'm posting in this forum at all is because when I was new I read a ton of stuff that was completely inaccurate, misleading, and confusing. If I can help other people sort out fact from fiction than they can speed up their journey.

Here is the problem with BIA even as a tool to measure progress over time. Someone can use a BIA scale and have it read 35%. They can lose 4% body fat, jump back on the BIA scale and have it read 39%. If they think BIA is accurate they would be devastated.