Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Why, oh why, do you get so bloaty when start to eat right and exercise?!

Hi, everyone,

After a couple false starts, I am finally eating right and exercising and drinking lots of water during the day. Can anyone tell me why you retain so much fluid when you start doing that? I am more bloaty and have more bags and dark circles under my eyes than I did when I was eating like crap and sitting on the couch! Ideas? Thanks!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Are you drinking enough water? I retain mega water when I am working out but not drinking enough.

Bloaty can also come from suddenly upping your fiber intake (i.e. vegetables). Stick it out, it'll go away!
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 314.15/289.9/150

Height: 5"8

debigulating - I have to agree with you there. Fibre is really bloating if too much too quick.

Our bodies are animals of habit. As soon as we switch it up, our bodies FREAK OUT!!

Rebecca8 - I know it's irritating feeling bloated when you know you're doing everything right. The bloat, I've found, subsides after a couple of weeks as your body starts to understand what's going on. But keep drinking water. I should take my own advice but I do struggle with the boringness of it. So i sometimes put a splash of squash in to give it some substance lol.

Keep going, it will get better xx
LozzCowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

Actually there is a thread at the very top of the forum that explains water retention and exercise and other reasons for water retention. The name of the thread is "Fluctuations in Scale Weight and Water Weight". I actually found it helpful because I recently started exercising and I am SERIOUSLY bloated-
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the insights. Also, thanks, MOLE, for the tip on the thread - this was all very helpful. Now that I realize this is normal, I'm not going to give up, just keep going and let my body get used to this new way of being over the next few weeks!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca8 View Post
Thanks for the insights. Also, thanks, MOLE, for the tip on the thread - this was all very helpful. Now that I realize this is normal, I'm not going to give up, just keep going and let my body get used to this new way of being over the next few weeks!
Rebecca8...YES...your right....NEVER give up--weight loss can be SO frustrating. Especially when you start to change your diet for the better and exercise and BLOAT up and even gain weight!!! I have been on a long journey for OVER ten years with the weight issue....and it has NEVER been easy, but I truly am glad I made the changes now looking back!! Best of luck to you! Keep me posted on your progress if you would!!!?
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #7  

I get a lil gassy cause I find onions and broccoli filling and I eat those, oh and eggs. But a big part of the bloat and gas was reduced when I quit whole grains and beans.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote