Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Default Cellulite - AARRRGGGHH!

I'm working steadily toward goal, and actually look pretty OK in clothing now. My big problem is lots of cellulite on my thighs. My dreams of wearing cute shorts and bathing suits are flying out the window because my thighs look so bad!

I've read that women who are "pear" shaped like me are the ones who get cellulite, vericose veins, etc. vs the "apple" shaped women who don't carry a lot of weight on their thighs and butt. Any advice on how to rid myself of cellulite on thighs?
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/TICKER/150

Height: 5'10

I will be eyeing this thread very closing, because my cellulite is the worst! It's not as bad now that I'm losing weight, but I am unable to wear anything that shows my theighs comfortably. From what I heard, working out your legs helps minimize the appearance of them. As far as creams etc i haven't heard any that are really sucessfull
dazzlemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #3  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

The only way to get rid of cellulite is to reduce your body fat percentage levels. The best way to do this, as you probably know, is to focus on fat loss (not just weight loss)-- do strength training to ensure that you retain muscle while dieting, and eat enough protein, for the same reason.

I am currently 5'6" and 125 lbs. I suspect that my body fat % is somewhere around 22-24%. I had a ton of cellulite when I began at 168lbs. I still have plenty on my upper thighs and butt, but the cellulite on the lower part of my thighs has gone away as I lost the fat there. I don't know that I'll ever be able to reduce my body fat levels to a point where all the cellulite is gone, but it has improved, anyway.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Cellulite doesn't "go away". It's just fat, but a particular kind of fat, having to do with your "skin" more so than your weight. I've seen completely skinny girls who look great! - but still have cellulite. The reason for this is that while fat deposits do exacerbate the condition, fat itself is not the primary cause. I've also seen way fat women who have completely smooth skin - no cellulite! -and you'll notice men rarely if ever get it - because it's partially hormonal, and as you know, us women are loaded with the hormones. Ah, lucky us!

Underneath the skin lies a layer of fibrous connective tissue that is responsible for adhering the skin to the muscle beneath it. In most men, this connective tissue is arranged in a criss-cross or diagonal manner, in a smooth and continuous pattern.

The connective tissue of women is another story, running vertically (perpendicular to the skin). Because of this, these fibrous bands (called septae) tether the skin to the underlying tissue at certain points, essentially creating discrete “fat chambers” to push up on the skin while the bands pull the skin downward.

This difference in connective tissue arrangement (coupled with the fact that men usually have thicker skin than women) explains why far fewer men have cellulite than women.

There are ways to DEAL with cellulite, drastic forms such as surgery (liposcution) or less drastic like massage techniques and the use of creams, etc. These can work somewhat, but NOTHING will remove it completely, not even surgery.

Combining a weight loss, weight training, and massage techniques is usually the most helpful thing, but remember - nothing will get rid of it completely. Not even surgery.

I suffer from it too. Plus, mine is accompanied by tons of "knee wrinkles". Ugh.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-13-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #5  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I know what you mean! I have the cellulite. I am a super pear. I am almost completrely skinny on the top of my body but when I wiggle my legs it's just one big jello. I am gonna work super hard to get a low as possible body-fat percentage and hope it goes away on my legs eventually. I've never had thin legs and I really want them!

The worst is that I am already getting varicose veins. They started to get visible when I started running and slimming down, which is weird because the increased bloodflow to the legs should prevent them..

Sucks to be a pear!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Completely agree with Beach Patrol. I used to be a size 2, in pretty decent shape fitness wise, and I still had cellulite. Not nearly as bad as now, but still had some. Weight lifting did help, and massage, but it never completely went away. I just lived with it, learned to accept it and wore my shorts anyway.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

As part of my exercise routine, I bike and while I've lost a decent amount of weight, I still have cellulite. Having said that, quite a bit of it has gone and it's definitely a lot less noticeable, so it will depend on your body at the end of the day.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I can't see it when I'm busy looking ahead. Even some of the supermodels have to get it airbrushed. Wear the shorts and keep on keepin' on.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #9  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
The only way to get rid of cellulite is to reduce your body fat percentage levels.
Yes!

Dropping your body fat (but maintaining your muscle mass, this is important) is the only way to look "tight" and smooth. Nothing else works.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #10  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
I've read that women who are "pear" shaped like me are the ones who get cellulite, vericose veins, etc. vs the "apple" shaped women who don't carry a lot of weight on their thighs and butt.
First, whoever told you that is WRONG, lol... this apple has some on her legs, lol...

However, I have noticed that as I work out more, my legs are toning up and its WAY WAY less than it was. Keep toning and doing some strength traininig... and it won't ever go away, I'll just be less noticable.

And if those people at the beach are so concerned with your cellulite, they have WAY MORE PROBLEMS than you can fix.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #11  

I agree with the poster who advised reducing your body fat to get rid of cellulite, but to be frank, I think a lot of it is just genetics. I'm one of those apple-shaped women you mentioned, and you're right: Even at my heaviest, I only had a small bit of cellulite, and since I've lost weight, I have none. (Of course, I have other problems---like a big, flabby tummy).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #12  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

I feel your pain!

I am (relatively) close to goal and my measurements of body fat (from electrical impedance & measurement; nothing as accurate as the hydro test) are in a "athlete/fitness" range for a female. I have a flat stomach and wear a size 2 in most pants... I have a smaller derriere compared to when I started, but I still have noticeable cellulite It's mostly on the upper thigh region and has been incredibly stubborn. I'm slowly starting to just accept that it's always going to be around, but it is incredibly frustrating.
pavvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #13  
threenorns

yep - it's the skin, not the fat (strictly speaking): oldest was five-five 83lbs on her wedding day at 17yrs of age.

that's five foot five inches tall and 83lbs. her wedding dress was a size MINUS 2.

and cellulite!??? omg, she had it so bad at the top of the back of her thighs!

second daughter - "pleasingly plump" through childhood and teens, then shot up to 200lbs at five-seven.

not a dimple to be seen.

in their swimsuits, oldest daughter's thighs "jiggled" and rippled - like half-set jello. second daughter's skin thrummed like it was a drumskin.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.