3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tomorrow starts my 2 weeks fruit/veggie/bean only diet, anyone else done this? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/256316-tomorrow-starts-my-2-weeks-fruit-veggie-bean-only-diet-anyone-else-done.html)

sunshauna 04-05-2012 03:22 AM

Hi Tiff,
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't see a problem with your new plan. :) (But that's because I've been a vegetarian since I was 13 and now I'm 51) and raised two (thin/fit/athletic) kids that way as well. Although, we ate cheese and other milk products. Now I have to kick the sugar/cheese habit that I have. Everyone believes differently, but I personally believe you can receive all your nutrition on that plan, but you need to make sure you are getting full and satisfied, otherwise it will be difficult not to binge. I believe the doctors in the dvd "Forks Over Knives" when they say the body doesn't need as much protein and fat as what we are told, because they cite numerous studies. Everyone believes differently, and I respect that. But I don't see a problem with your diet, because basically, you are becoming a vegan for 2 weeks. One trick for you when preparing your childs meals.....I've found that if I eat my meal before I prepare my teenagers meals, then I'm not tempted to eat any of their food. They still eat their pizza or mac and cheese crap, but I'm entirely eating veg/fruit/legumes/grain. Good luck....hope it works out for you.

Porthardygurl 04-05-2012 05:07 AM

From experience..for exactly one week, i lived off of veggies and fruit through juicing and i can say two things about it.

1) I never made it to the second week because i felt so deprived and so sick of just fruit and veggies and nothing else

2) I barely lost any weight..There was enough sugars that i was ingesting naturally that it was actually starting to store as fat in my body cause my body could not handle the high sugar content in my diet due to all the fruit i had to consume just to feel not hungry and feel better...

Its like..eat fruit..sugar crash..eat fruit..sugar crash..So inless your fruits are low glycemic...you could have a lot of ups and a lot of downs.. If your really going to do this..you really need to pull up your bootstraps and eat the green leafys that dont taste good juiced and you are going to need to eat those veggies you hate..cause odds are..you might not like some of the healthiest ones out there..

My point: Its hard...BUT if your doing in short term..then i dont see any harm..just dont expect to gain weight or have your weight loss issue solved

ELBS717 04-05-2012 08:14 AM

I've done this sort of thing before, but did not include sugary fruits like pineapple or banana.... opted for apples because of the fiber. I found that the first 3-4 days are ROUGH, and then a lot easier after that. But after about a week of no meat or dairy, I started to get cold sores, and was told to work a little bit of lean meat back into the mix.
Good luck!

TiffNeedsChange 04-05-2012 12:43 PM

Sunshauna-thanks for your support! I will look into that book. I have always admired vegetarians/vegans because of their discipline. You actually made a good point about eating before my son! I know our lowest protein requirements so I will make sure to get that amount.
Porthardygurl-i definitely couldn't do juice only. I am going to do veggie based meals with some fruit in the side and tempeh/quinoa for protein. I don't know how you even did that for a week, I enjoy chewing lol! I will definitely be juicing more greens than anything which I enjoy. Thanks for the heads up too :)
Elbs717-i definitely will make sure I am getting.g protein., I do not want any cold sores for sure!! Definitely going to eat more apples and watermelon than bananas and pineapple. Thanks for the tips!

wannaBfitnessbuff 04-05-2012 01:08 PM

TiffNeedsChange- I understand what people are trying to say about being sure you arent trying to do some crash diet. But I want to say that even though this seems extreme for some people, changing to a veggie emphasized diet doesnt mean you are jumping on the crazy train! I say go for your modified plan. Many people live very healthy (and usually healthier than most) lives abstaining from meat and dairy and wheat.

Have you ever read Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live". If you haven't check it out. The kind of diet you are talking about doing is defineitly going to be packed with nutrition and when you look at the nutrient density of foods then veggies and fruits truely are the best thing you can do for your body.

For the naysayers I think you totally are giving adviced with real concern and the best of all intentions. And it looks like many of you have found something that really works for you, but that doesnt mean this cant work too. 2 cups frozen spinach has 0 g fat, 6 grams carbs and 5 grams protien(and only 30 calories). Many green leafy vegetables have almost a 50/50 ratio of protien to carbs. If you are eating large quantities of greens and getting healthy fats from other sources you really can abstain form meat and get all the protien that you need. Is it easier to do so from meat? Absolutely. But as long as one is being aware of their macros then they can really eat this way and be very healthy.

valalltogether 04-05-2012 01:19 PM

as someone who has done the 10-day master cleanse, this sort of thing can be a good short term boost to get your "head in the game", start a new beginning, etc...

it's a jolt..but it can go either way for people. you'll either feel envigorated and excited to eat healthy nutritious food, or you'll be so famished that you'll grab for a box of oreos the second you're "done". don't let the latter happen!!

i did the master cleanse because my boyfriend at the time wanted to do it. so i joined in as support. it was hard. i cried. but i feel accomplished for having done it and i do like to tell people that "i did the master cleanse".

just my 2 cents.. good luck to you!

freelancemomma 04-05-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4281271)
It's a free country but the simple fact is the body does not need to go through any detox. There has never been a scientific study done that has shown any health improvements made through detoxing.

I agree. Dr. Ben Goldacre covers the topic very well in his hilarious bestselling book Bad Science.

F.