3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tomorrow starts my 2 weeks fruit/veggie/bean only diet, anyone else done this? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/256316-tomorrow-starts-my-2-weeks-fruit-veggie-bean-only-diet-anyone-else-done.html)

TiffNeedsChange 04-04-2012 09:33 PM

Tomorrow starts my 2 weeks fruit/veggie/bean only diet, anyone else done this?

So I have done a lot of reading on fruit/vegetable cleanses and determined that I must have some sort of protein so that is why I am including some beans. I plan on eating some raw veegies and some cooked, probably all raw fruits, and maybe some lentils and beans. I have a juicer and will be juicing some veggies with a little fruit in the mix. Cutting out dairy, meat, wheat/grain products. This is going to be HARD!! I have never done anything like this before, I am fully anticipating a carb withdrawal period but am looking forward to overcoming that. I need this boost, all of my temptations are tied to meat and carbs-so not being allowed to eat them at all will hopefully click something in my head when I reintroduce them.
I have read that technically you're not supposed to season your food while doing a typical cleanse but I just cannot go for that. I will use some seasoning but try to use mostly veggies and fresh herbs.
Has anyone else done this? Any tips/pointers?

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY 04-04-2012 09:58 PM

on board with you ! and im as excited as ever ...
:carrot:

TiffNeedsChange 04-04-2012 10:12 PM

:) So glad to have a partner!! Breakfast tomorrow is going to be pineapple, and a tomato and mixed green salad with some black beans on top!

debigulating 04-04-2012 10:55 PM

I don't know about carb withdrawal..... All fruits, veg, and beans have carbs! You won't be getting much protein and you will be doing very low-cal so that will probably make you feel crummy.

But hey, to each her own ;) And you say it's only for a short period of time, so if you think it will help you, go for it. Good luck!

TiffNeedsChange 04-04-2012 11:53 PM

It is going to be interesting! I have emergency sardines if I get too weak :) Also, I'll be eating more leafy green veggies and a lot less of the starchy ones, also a lot less fruit than veggies... as opposed to my usual over-abundance of carbs, that is why I am thinking I am going to experience a withdrawal :) Thanks-we will see how it goes... I may be incorporating some soy as well. Basically just doing this to limit calories and experiment with a new way of eating, until now I have been very carb/protein focused(I do eat veggies/fruits but they are more of a side usually).

TiffNeedsChange 04-05-2012 12:01 AM

debigulating.. so I just did some research and it looks like Quinoa and tempeh are better protein sources... might had to work those in, less on the beans

Demosthenes 04-05-2012 12:07 AM

I'm not an advocate of these sorts of extreme short term diets. Since most of your calories will come for carbs you are most likely not going to experience 'carb withdrawal', although you might have some psychological withdrawal symptoms if you are dependent upon eating junk food to regulate your emotions. This diet will most likely be low protein/low fat which is not healthy. Beans/veg/fruits contain some natural fat and protein but not enough to satisfy your hunger for any length of time.

I realize you didn't ask for help or advice, but here it is: try adding more vegetables and fruits to your diet and limiting meat, dairy, and grains (especially red meat). These shock diets are not sustainable, not healthy, and lead to yo-yo weight-loss/gain.

ValRock 04-05-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demosthenes (Post 4281239)
I'm not an advocate of these sorts of extreme short term diets. Since most of your calories will come for carbs you are most likely not going to experience 'carb withdrawal', although you might have some psychological withdrawal symptoms if you are dependent upon eating junk food to regulate your emotions. This diet will most likely be low protein/low fat which is not healthy. Beans/veg/fruits contain some natural fat and protein but not enough to satisfy your hunger for any length of time.

I realize you didn't ask for help or advice, but here it is: try adding more vegetables and fruits to your diet and limiting meat, dairy, and grains (especially red meat). These shock diets are not sustainable, not healthy, and lead to yo-yo weight-loss/gain.

I agree!!! Girls, this is a LIFETIME journey. Don't go all crazy and ruin it for yourselves by inventing crash diets. Find something you can do for your entire life, and do that!

ETA: This is a lowfat/lowprotein diet. Most of your calories will come from carbs. If you are in ANY way sensitive to carbohydrates you will probably feel like Shiz. I eat TONS of veggies, they are amazing. But you need to balance them with healthy fats and proteins.

Demosthenes 04-05-2012 12:58 AM

Oh, and watch out for binges on these sorts of diets, too. I've done diets like this before and ended eating things I'd never have eaten on a moderate diet (ie a whole package of hot dogs). I was once on a low fat/low protein vegan diet quite similar to what you are doing and I ended up eating a jar of peanut butter because I was so starved for fat and protein. Even if you've got sardines standing by they can trigger a binge and just totally wreck what you are working towards.

JohnP 04-05-2012 01:00 AM

It's a free country but the simple fact is the body does not need to go through any detox.

There has never been a scientific study done that has shown any health improvements made through detoxing.

If you want to go on some kind of extreme diet you should at least follow one that has some science behind it such as a PSMF. Not that I am reccomending people do that but it sure makes a lot more sense than juice fasting, or juice + veggie fasting, or Juice + veggie + beans diet.

Frankly I think you would be better off just consuming a can of vegtable broth every morning and eating nothing for two weeks.

Educate yourself people!

TiffNeedsChange 04-05-2012 01:51 AM

I am incorporating quinoa and tempeh for protein so it is more like a vegetarian shift. I am trying to get away from the junk, show myself that I can make yummy veggie laden meals, and healthy fats. I did read that a lack of fats/protein can be an issue which is why I will use avocado for healthy fat/olive oil, and veggie based protein. I don't think it will be a problem as far as a "crash" diet. Just trying something new, and healthier. I have portion control issues when eating breads and meats-eating something new and less habitual will hopefully help me be more aware. I only have 1 can of sardines as a back up. I am being mindful, so I doubt this is a worrisome diet. Short term because 2 weeks is about as far ahead as I can look. Then reassess what I want to reintroduce.
EDIT: I'm not doing the over-the-top cleanse as I know that isn't sustainable.

Demosthenes 04-05-2012 02:00 AM

I guess when you state in the title of a post that you are starting a fruit/veggie/bean only diet you run the risk of people thinking you are starting a fruit/veggie/bean only diet. :)

TiffNeedsChange 04-05-2012 02:08 AM

I am not sure if I can change the title.. at first I was planning on that but realized beans were not a great source of protein... found tempeh and quinoa and it makes me happier :) I am hoping this helps me with my eating habits, I think the hardest part is that I have to cook for my son and I will be serving and cooking things that i am not allowing myself to eat. I really need this extra push into the direction of healthier eating. One unhealthy bite turns into 20 with me :) I appreciate the input from everyone, it is all in good intention.

JohnP 04-05-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange (Post 4281285)
I have portion control issues when eating breads and meats-eating something new and less habitual will hopefully help me be more aware.

I get this but why not just eliminate the junk and the bread? Protein/meat is very satiating.

What purpose does it serve to go on a two week diet that you already know is not sustainable.

Ultimately establishing good dietary habits is how you lose weight and keep it off. So rather than doing something odd for two weeks how about you just make some simple changes like eliminating most of the junk and bread from your diet?

TiffNeedsChange 04-05-2012 02:24 AM

I was't saying that the diet I am doing is unsustainable (the normal cleanse is unsustainable), which is why I am doing a diet with the tempeh and quinoa. For me, getting away from those things completely for a while seems to be a tactic that may work. I have tried the moderation, I have even tried eliminating the junk and bread alone but I need a plan to change my way of eating completely. So, the veggie dishes with alternate protein sources will be nutritionally complete, lower calorie, and I am hoping to continue eating this way for a portion of my meals once I do it exclusively for 2 weeks. I live in New Orleans and was raised on fried seafood, ribs, comfort foods, mac-n-cheese, bread (po-boys). For me going completely out of my comfort zone, learning new recipes, and having a goal of 2 weeks will be my motivator. I am a very stubborn stuck in her ways type of girl, and small changes aren't always enough.
I see your point John, I am basically trying a unique way of getting out of my mindset. I guess I can say it like this.
Last week I wanted catfish, when faced with the decision, I made the bad choice-the choice that I always made what was familiar. Fried catfish, with fries(coated with lemon/garlic butter, and hush puppies). Knowing that catfish is healthy when not fried is fine but for some reason I am "afraid" to try the alternate preparations such as grilled even though i know I like them. I can't even really explain it to myself. It is like I go on autopilot even when I am trying to consciously make a different decision. If this doesn't help then so be it, but as long as I am getting my nutrition and don't feel sick from it I will stick to it as long as I can, after 2 weeks I am planning on reintroducing eggs, fish/seafood, and whole grains in moderation. I've just never made myself go without these thing, just ate normally within(and a lot of times not) my calorie range.