Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb It's simple but it's not easy

I've come to this conclusion that the reason I try to over think this whole thing is because it seems too simple in relation to how difficult it is to actually do. Does that make sense?

Eat less, move more. Wow, that's it? Ya, basically, except depending on what you struggle with, that doesn't mean it's easy to actually do. I think this is exactly why it can mess with our minds so much.

I can't tell you all how much coming back to 3FC has helped me! The perspective I get helps me every day. Makes me feel confident when I'm unsure of my abilities.

I guess there's no real point to my post except to say thanks and that I swear I have these very obvious epiphanies daily.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Exactly right.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 128lbs/99/99

Height: 5' 2"

Its easier said than done, which a lot of people don't understand. There are processes in our body that fight weight loss, along with things that give us cravings.

I think the harder part for some is that we need numbers to work with, and little rules that aren't specified in little sayings like that. Things like work out X minutes a day at Y heart rate, or eating foods with X% fat or X% sugar or less. Those minute things just trip way too many people up, and leave people feeling hopeless.
Moonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #4  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Very well said
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #5  

Very True !!!!!
sara145wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It's funny, so many people don't believe me when I tell them that I did just that: ate less and moved more.

I think it's like anything in life. It's simple, but it's not easy. We often know what we need to do, but actually doing it is another story.

Congrats on your successes so far
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

If it was easy, none of us would be here!

You are exactly right that it's not easy at all. There are so many mental and physical obstacles that we have to push through to succeed.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #8  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I've come to this conclusion that the reason I try to over think this whole thing is because it seems too simple in relation to how difficult it is to actually do. Does that make sense?

Eat less, move more. Wow, that's it? Ya, basically, except depending on what you struggle with, that doesn't mean it's easy to actually do. I think this is exactly why it can mess with our minds so much.
I've thought about this topic a lot over the past year. Why do we find it so appealing to over-complicate the process? I don't have an answer, but this seems as good as any.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

"Simple, not easy" - I've been saying that for yearsssss. Cause it's true!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #10  

YUP. Thats why I get annoyed if people who have never even tried it just say "all you have to do is just walk around a little more" or if they notice that I lost, theyre like "you need to try this this and this" and im like uhh this is enough on my plate and what I am doing is working out for me! lol

All those "girly exercises" in women's mags that get teased about btw-I tried them this morning. They are HARD. I used to read em and think hmmm I can do them I think, I def need to work on a few of them at a time!

Proof that you really never know unless you give it a good shot!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
It's funny, so many people don't believe me when I tell them that I did just that: ate less and moved more.
I tell people the same thing when they ask how I lost weight. They get sort of a strange look when I tell them this and ask if I am on a program or something. It has been my experience that when they ask, they are looking for something easier to comprehend then this, like a diet pill or replacing all the food with nutrition drinks or something. I think a great deal of people don't have the self confidence to do it on their own or think they need to pay someone to figure it out for them. It is a simple concept but hard to do unless you are determined, motivated and willing to change your life forever.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #12  

LOL
I think its because its all about the "How" you manage to eat less and move more (cal counting/cutting out trigger foods/having all foods in moderation/doing htis or that etc)-its good to be aware that you are finding a way (the "how) to achieve that "what" (eat less/move more) and a lot of diets promote the "how" without explaining that it inadvertently just causes you to eat less and move more, so I think that sometimes people get caught up in the "how" or a specific method by thinking that it will cause them to lose weight, without having to do the "what" which is eat less and move more. I also think that people just can't fathom the idea of eating less and just dealing with cravings, well not all dieters go through that, but I did and still do as a sugar addict.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, it irritates the crap out of me when I see people saying "oh just eat less and move more!" Well YES, duh, thanks for that. That strategy has occurred to me. We all know rationally what needs to be done but doing it is another matter.

I love "Simple, not easy." That is a great summation. I am going to remember that one for next time!
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I think part of the "misunderstanding" of the "Simple, Not Easy" attitude is because so many people equate simple & easy to being the same thing. They're so not!

For instance: a man is trapped underneath a car, and 10 young studly college students decide to lift the car off him so the man can crawl out from underneath the wreckage. Simple! - just lift, & crawl. BUT NOT EASY! - it takes 10 of those young studly students & they all have to lift at the same time & keep the car above a certain level for a certain amount of time so that the man can get out from underneath it.

Ever shoot hoops? Throw the ball into the basket - simple! - easy? Not so much!

Crossword puzzles! - Simple! just take the clue & write in the word. Easy? Hardly!

I think pixelllate had it nailed - it's the "how" (how many calories do I eat? how many weights do I lift? how many miles do I run? how much carbs to protein to fat? how do I stop the sugar cravings? how do I handle great aunt Jenny's 90th birthday party with all that cake & ice cream & .....) and the "what" (what kind of diet do I use? what kind of exercise do I attempt? is walking better than running? life weights before or after a meal; does it matter? etc etc.) that confuses so many people. I know I've tried many different diets throughout my dieting career, and different kinds of exercises, but finding what it is that WORKS BEST FOR YOU (each individual) is the "right diet" and the "best exercise."

Losing weight IS simple. It's a calorie deficit - created by diet, exercise, or a combination of the two. But it is, by far, NOT easy. Neither is maintaining!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

I wonder how much money diet and exercise industries make saying in order to lose weight you would have to buy their products. but it's as easy as reducing your favorite cookies and putting on a pair of shoes to walk.
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote