Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Default very hungry after donating blood

I have been donating blood every 8 weeks for years, but this is the first time I have actually been dieting while giving blood. I always notice the fatigue during exercise for a few days afterwards, and usually the evening of the donation I am very lethargic, but I guess I never noticed being hungrier than usual before. Maybe it is because I never really paid close attention.

I donated blood yesterday, and today I just feel ravenous. I am a calorie counter, and it is driving me crazy. I have already eaten most of today's calories because I have a huge appetite. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know why I never noticed that donating blood had this effect on me before. I have decided to give myself a little bit of slack and eat a bit over budget for a couple of days because my body must need it to build back up again. I am just curious whether anyone else gets really hungry after donating blood.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, your body is feeling it's missing something and less blood is carrying everything it needs - nutrients, oxygen, etc. Definitely keep rehydrating and eat really clean and if you are really hungry, then eat - especially foods that will help the body build more blood cells.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #3  

I would just be sure to eat foods that ar a good source of iron. Like meat and green leafy veggies. I would worry too much about going over budget for maybe today, as long as its very sensible choices that will help your body replenish that lost blood.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

It makes sense that you'd be hungrier. It takes energy to rebuild the blood.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

gardendiva,,after you donate blood are you offered a cookie or juice ? Are you eating the cookie or drinking the juice ? This is not offered to be hospitable but to get your blood sugar up .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #6  

Yes Bargoo, I had some water and a small packet of pretzels when I was there, but this is the day after, and I've been walloped hard by my appetite. I just never noticed this particular effect before and was wondering if others also got really hungry following a donation.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sometimes when I think I am hungry I am really bored. I know when I go and stand in front of the open refrigerator door and stare inside that I am really not hungry.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Sometimes when I think I am hungry I am really bored. I know when I go and stand in front of the open refrigerator door and stare inside that I am really not hungry.
Gosh, I think you might be onto something there, Bargoo. It has been a chilly, grey day, I spent the whole day inside, and I am a bit grumpy and maybe bored.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

I too have noticed that I am hungrier. It makes sense. Your body is noticing the deficit, and will need more amino acids and iron, as well as other minerals to make up for the loss of all those cellular components of blood. We have smart bodies, even when they seem to be working against us. The advice to stick to really nutritious foods seems best, as well as lots of water for volume replacement. I find that helps me alot, especially with feeling so fatigued. For people that are more symptomatic with whole blood donation, the alternative could be platelet donation. You can do this more often, with less side effects. And the need for platelets is enormous. (Or just enjoy eating a bit more!)
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #10  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

My husband always feels lightheaded after donating - but he's scared of needles.

I never notice feeling one iota different, and the last time I donated I hadn't eaten a single thing yet and it was 11:30am. Nor did I accept the sugary juice they offered for afterwards. My appetite was the same afterwards and I exercised per normal.

But I'm 6'1" so presumably have more blood to share??
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #11