Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #1  

Default Bottling Motivation

Hello!

Right now, I am feeling very motivated. I make going to the gym a priority, don't consider not eating cupcakes a sacrifice, and am in general, feeling really good and very in control of my life.

A month ago? Not so much.

I expect this motivated feeling will not last. I started my journey in September and i had mid level motivation, high motivation by November and low motivation in December and January.

How do you push through the low and mid levels of motivation? Do you just power through it? Is it natural for it to ebb and flow?
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/136/120

Height: 5'5"

I've been feeling highly motivated for the 3 weeks I've been on a diet. I think it's because I noticed an improvement in my energy immediately, and because I've already lost some weight. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to keep this up!
JoJoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I think it's natural and unavoidable for motivation to ebb and flow. I don't think I will EVER completely get rid of the inner demon whispering things like, "It's not worth it, eating what you want is better" in my ear. But I know that's just my "short-term gratification drive" talking.

Just taking a few minutes to reflect on the benefits of being trim and healthy can help revive a flagging motivation. Sometimes, just going to my closet and looking over my stylish new clothes can help. Or going for a walk -- anything to provide a new stimulus and perspective.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #4  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I have to tell myself to keep going DAILY.

If I see something that I want, but I know I shouldn't have, I tell myself 'no, you have to keep going.' if I still want it 3 or 4 days later, I have a piece, because... I clearly wanted it, but I keep it counted in my calories and I KEEP GOING and move on.

The more I keep going, and the less I stay stagnant, the faster that the rest of this weight will come off!!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I've just recently powered through a slump. I was doing everything right, yet 3 weeks out of 4 in January I lost less than a pound. I kept telling myself that I am building healthy habits, and just stick with it. Happily, the dry spell broke with a whoosh this week, and my motivation is up again.

I am really trying to wrap my brain around this being a long haul process. I need to keep at this as long as it takes, whether I'm excited about it or not.

So that's my take. Hope it helps.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/151/145

Height: 5' 6"

Well I've been at this for 13 months and the way that I keep motivated is I have made healthy eating one of my new hobbies. I research the topic a lot and always look for new recipes. I have learned so much along the way. I also research exercise routines, weight lifting, running, etc. So, I think about these things a lot. It is important to me and I have made it a priority.

I have had a couple of slower times along the way and it helped to get involved in a challenge. Setting a 10 lb mini-goal and working hard to achieve it has been motivating. It is always fun to update my ticker number.

Other things that are motivating:
*Reminding myself of how great it is going to be to get to the end of this journey
*Comparing pictures of myself to see my progress
*Tracking my measurements and watching them go down
*Graphing my weight loss
*Shopping for new clothes
*Getting compliments and inspiring others by my weight loss

So the journey is what you make it. Try to enjoy it, you are developing new healthy eating habits and exercise habits. Look at it as a new lifestyle, the life that you were always meant to live. You can do it!
deblosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #7  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

One of the mottos I like: Motivation fades, commitment does not.

I mean, I don't want to go to work every day, but I have made a commitment to my employer to be here.

Does that make sense?
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelm View Post

I mean, I don't want to go to work every day, but I have made a commitment to my employer to be here.

Does that make sense?
I really like this. It's like being married. I may not always be in love, but I have made a commitment.

Wow. It. Just. Clicked.

THANK YOU!!!!
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #9  

I hear ya! One of the problems I had w/ past attempts is that I would give into that lack of motivation and regain. This time, even when I feel lousy and as if I want to throw in the towel, I just keep reminding myself that the people who are successful maintainers are those who power through those moods and keep at it. I keep reminding myself to just keep going, despite whatever feelings I may have. If I don't stop, I cannot fail, even when I'm not perfectly on plan.

Last edited by lin43; 02-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #10  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelm View Post

Does that make sense?
That's it! That's how I've been looking at it, but you said it much better. Thank you!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote