Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #1  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default It's that time of year. THEY are back.

Someone tried to sell me girl scout cookies this morning. Apparently they don't take orders anymore and sell them on the spot.

I said no.

-

Last edited by Vex; 01-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Oh man, I wasn't as strong as you. I ordered 2 boxes

The good thing though, is that I'm not a sweets fanatic. I can pass them up.

You did good!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

That's ok, I'm sure some thin mints or samoas will end up in my house before it's all through.

The goal will be just not to eat the ENTIRE box at one time.

-
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Lol. I didn't realize it was that time of year again. The funny thing is that over the years my interest in girl scout cookies has waned. They're ok, but not something that I crave anymore which I'm very happy about. I have more of an issue saying no to the cute little girls selling the cookies outside my grocery stores. I hate saying no to kids. But say no I will. Have to stand firm this year.
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

OH man, these are my downfall - PLUS everyone in the office buys them from other co-workers kids so we have them for MONTHS!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Why do they sell these in January? Seems counter-productive to me.

I said yes. I love my best friend's little girl...you should have seen her face. You'd have caved too!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you can't say no to the kiddos, but don't want to eat them, try buying a box of a flavor you don't like (there has to be at least ONE flavor that won't trigger you to eat them all), then give them to a neighbor, a food bank, etc. I think one of my most valuable weight loss tools has been my grandpa, who has a sweet tooth a mile wide and doctor's orders to gain weight (he's 92). If I get food like that in my house, off it goes to grandpa's. I got a 2 lb box of chocolate truffles for Christmas - straight off to his house. He's happy, I'm happy, and I sometimes will eat ONE or TWO while I go to visit, but never end up eating the whole box.

If your favorite kind is Thin Mints, and your goal is not to eat them, don't buy the Thin Mints!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Lol, I find this thread very funny. I'm a Girl Scout leader and yes, cookie sale time is very hard on the diet. It's also very hard on the leaders, trust me. Especially with the new direct sale way of doing it.

Sales in our area don't start until next month, so I have a few more weeks before I have to worry about it. BUT, you think it's bad when you have a box or two in your cupboard calling to you? Try having 30 cases (not boxes, cases!) in your living room staring at you in the face day in and day out. That's 360 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. In every flavor they have. And the stress of having to make sure they all get sold or the troop has to pay for them doesn't help!!!

I actually figured it out last year and I had something like 700,000 calories worth of cookies in my living room!
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I'm so glad that there aren't any girl scouts here... I have zero resistance to those evil cookies! Last year I was in the states for a bit during their selling season and ended up buying two boxes... they disappeared way too quickly! Sometimes there are advantages to living abroad.

samoas are my kryptonite!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #10  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Luckily (or not) 9 years ago I got a stomach virus after eating thin mints - I can't stand the sight of them anymore. So buy some and hang out with some sick kids? I'm still addicted to samoas though, but get Kelloggs antioxidant bars in coconut flavor as a substitute. I live in the country, so I don't get random door-to-door sales.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
Lol, I find this thread very funny. I'm a Girl Scout leader and yes, cookie sale time is very hard on the diet. It's also very hard on the leaders, trust me. Especially with the new direct sale way of doing it.

Sales in our area don't start until next month, so I have a few more weeks before I have to worry about it. BUT, you think it's bad when you have a box or two in your cupboard calling to you? Try having 30 cases (not boxes, cases!) in your living room staring at you in the face day in and day out. That's 360 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. In every flavor they have. And the stress of having to make sure they all get sold or the troop has to pay for them doesn't help!!!

I actually figured it out last year and I had something like 700,000 calories worth of cookies in my living room!

WOW! That truly requires will power. One of the common threads on weight loss sites is to get rid of everything in your house that would be too tempting. But what do you do when it's part of your job to have those things in your house? :-)
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

My daughters are both girl scouts and my wife is the "The Cookie Mom" for one of the troops. I bought 2 cases, one from each girl. Thin mints and Peanut Butter sandwiches are irresistible. Fortunately, I don't have willpower issues and can eat or pass, and they freeze extremely well. This year they have a program to send cookies to the Troops overseas if you don't want them, but don't want to say no to the kiddies. We've had a bunch do that too.

I'm also the guy that sells them to all my co-workers. Nobody passed this year.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
One of the common threads on weight loss sites is to get rid of everything in your house that would be too tempting. But what do you do when it's part of your job to have those things in your house? :-)
The same thing you do when that food is part of your job (say, you work in food service and free food is everywhere, or you work in an office with a constant basket of high calorie treats at the ready when you hit that afternoon slump)...you make a decision not to eat it. I always found it useful to classify things as "not mine"...like "these cookies are for selling, they are Not Mine".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #14  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

The coconunt chocolate ones are calling my name. And i'm pretty sure when I see a box being sold i'll cave...=D

I make enough pastries and desserts at work to not make me worry about binging on an entire box =D
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

THIN mints ......AHHHHHH
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote