Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/147/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Exercise ideas?

Sorry did not realize there is an exercise section too, maybe should have posted this there. Sorry, mods please move if this should be there.

I've been doing Curves. It works for me, and in fact a big reason I got started on my loss again this time around is I realized the location less than 1 mile from me, that is on the way home from work, that I always thought was closed, is actually open. I go M-Th daily after work, and on Saturdays. I like the program and am signed up for a year.

I'd kind of like to add something though, not to replace Curves, but to supplement it/alternate it with. I get terrible shin splints when I run(even before I was fat) so that's out. I realize very little actual calorie burning happens in my workouts, so I'm not really looking for that. I'm just realizing that I'm enjoying getting fit, and would like to get fitter. I tend to appreciate stretchy type exercise more than bouncing around sweating exercise. I love walking but don't live in a good walking neighborhood, and am not motivated enough to drive somewhere just to walk.

I do a very light routine w/3 lb handweights at home, and kinda think working with weights might be fun, but don't know much about what's involved as far as equipment/space. I suspect I would like the physical part of yoga but not the mental part (I can't "think of nothing'- I don't even understand how they can ask you that.) I kinda think karate or something like that may be fun. What are some of the things you're doing that are not too intense, but kinda fun exercise?

Last edited by makingthechanges; 01-06-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: posted in wrong category?
makingthechanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Shin splits are completely preventable. They are caused by people jumping in too fast. It basically means some of muscles are weaker than others and can't cope with the stress of walking fast or running. You simply need to build up to running. Do some googling and you can learn a lot.

I would totally suggest you look into workout videos at home or walking or, when you are ready, running.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 01-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

You could try hula hooping. It's low impact and can burn 210 calories in 30 minutes. Hula hooping can encourage flexibility, toning and other stuff. Hooping can be as hard or as easy as you want.

Ace Study-
Quote:
“Not only can hooping workouts result in improved cardiovascular health, muscle conditioning, flexibility and balance, but hoopers may also enjoy a fun, relaxing and potentially meditative effect due to the activity’s rhythmic nature,” Bryant adds.
http://www.acefitness.org/pressroom/...ping-workouts/
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I love Walk Away The Pounds....it is an at home walking program that allows you to choose how far you want to go (1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, etc.). It is low impact and GREAT if you love to walk. No jumping (unless you want to). Several of the DVDs have weight exercises and stretchy band work. It really has worked great for me and will get you in shape.

Every now and then I experiment with other options (Tae Bo Cardio). However, I LOVE Walk Away The Pounds and Leslie Sansone and it really does give a full body workout. DVDs are cheap HOWEVER, you can preview the program on YOU TUBE. just search for Leslie Sansone or Walk Away The Pounds.

Last edited by free1; 01-06-2012 at 10:28 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/?/150

Height: 5'4

I love to dance it gets your heart rate up and helps with your core!! I also seen you said something about yoga you dont have to clear your mind i never do just going through the moves helps to improve your flexibility, balance, and because you are not getting your heart rate up it helps to put you at peace. But dont let it fool you yoga can be intense the first time i did it i thought oh this will be easy but you do feel it the next day!

Good luck!
Icey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

It sounds like yoga would be a great fit for you. Most yoga classes don't have meditation and spiritual components. Some do, but you could easily ask the teacher of the class at a studio or gym about what their class involves before you try it. You could also try videos online at yogaglo.com or YouTube. (The former costs money each month, the latter is free.) Those are much more about strictly exercise than spirituality.

I think there is a benefit to the breathing aspect of yoga. I don't like classes that are full pranayama but the ones that either focus on breathing throughout the class or have a few minutes of breathing exercises at the end are tremendously helpful. I use my breathing techniques outside of yoga almost every day- it helps with my running (I never get out of breath now) and when I'm stressed or not feeling well. It's amazing how much breathing properly can relax you.

A tiny bit of the mental aspect is actually sometimes refreshing too. Sivasana, the corpse pose at the end that sometimes involves a little bit of meditation, can be immensely relaxing. I'm not into meditation proper (lotus position, "thinking of nothing" for hours) but someone leading you through proper rest for 5 minutes at the end of a yoga class can have immense relaxation and stress relief properties.

Yoga differs wildly between individual teachers and entire schools. Try a few flow, vinyasa, astangta, and/or hatha classes. You may find one that fits you well and you enjoy. Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I finally, *duh* realized that the best exercise is what you like and what you will stick to.

It really doesn't matter what it is. As long as you like it and will stick with it.

Personally, I love to lift weights. I finally gave up the idea that I HAD to do cardio. Lifting, and happy!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote