Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #1  

Unhappy Frustrated. Can't stop looking at the scale.

Okay I have this really bad habit of looking at the scale every morning when really I should only be looking at it once a week at most. And HONESTLY I kind of want to only look at the scale after I'm finished with my exercise thing. So what the heck can I do to stop myself from looking at the scale! It taunts me with it's ugly little numbers! UP A POUND. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE.

My Weight Loss Journey
AlexandraJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Our body goes through daily fluctuations. Alot of people here have had good success with daily weighing while graphing it out, to get a better understanding of this. Some people can predict just exactly how much they will weigh that day(crazy envious).Its always going to go up or down. If your sticking to your plan(which i'll assume for this point, is working) then you couldn't possibility have gained anything but water weight. Remember, it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, and unless you ate that amount, and your BMR amount of calories, you definitely didn't gain a pound :P

What I try and do is take the scale out of my bathroom. I'm less inclined to weigh myself when its not in there.

Last edited by baker23; 01-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

My weight fluctuates like crazy from day to day and that's actually the reason I weigh and log my weight everyday. It helps me to see the patterns and accept that the ups and downs are a normal part of my weight loss cycle.

I'm afraid that if I weighed once a week it would be during one of the weird up swings and I'd be all freaked thinking that I'd gained over the week when really it was just a minor one day fluctuation.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm below goal. Check this out:

That's the result of me weighing just about every day from May 3 to December 12 starting when I was 192 pounds down to 135 pounds. You can see that my weight just didn't drop down, it was all over the place but it still went down!

I'm keeping a new graph for maintenance.

Your weight will fluctuate every day. If you're going to weigh every day then you have to understand that. One of the reasons I chose to weigh every day is so that I can keep myself accountable and learn my body's fluctuations. Right now I can almost successfully predict what I'll see on the scale since I'm so in tune!

It's very important to understand your body and how its weight can change from day to day depending on a number of conditions: weight of food, sodium intake, TOM, etc. and that as long as you are moving in a general downward trend, you're on the right track.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #5  

Angry New here

Hi im new here,iv been on the idea protein diet for 8 wks now have lost about 25 pnds went ftm 194 to 169 it started fast now my scales barely move iv nt cheated! Can anyone help,before I pull my hair out
Sarahtobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Why should you only be looking at it once a week? Did some diet guro from heaven make this rule or something?

Seriously, this is one idea I just had to throw out the window. I weigh daily and you know what? It keeps me on track. It reminds me every morning what I'm doing and actually causes me WAY less anxiety than if I had to weigh only once a week. I've learned my body fluctuations and I can't even imagine how frustrating it would be having to weight in only once a week, especially if that day happened to fall during TOM/ovulation or right after I worked out/had a salty meal. I could be retaining water weight that one day and needs see the results whereas with daily weighing I see loses immediately even if they end up jumping up the next day because TOM showed up.

It really bugs me when I hear the general rule that NOBODY should ever weigh daily because that makes them obsessive. Certainly, this may be true for some but as with almost everything when it comes to dieting it varies with the individual. Coming to peace with daily weighing has really helped me a lot on my journey!!!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #7  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I think you should weigh yourself as much or as little as you want, if you feel that its driving you crazy then take the scale out of the bathroom and put it somewhere your less likely to use it. I have herd of people putting it in there car because they were less inclined to go out and get it just so they could weigh themselves.

That being said, like many of the people have already said weighing yourself everyday is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you can understand and accept that fluctuation are completely normal. I weigh every day under the same conditions, after using the washroom, naked, on the same tile in my bathroom. Its rare for my scale to show the same number two days in a row, it's usually either slightly up or slightly down... Usually up. I don't let it derail my progress or make me upset because I know that its usually water retention. For example yesterday I weighed in at a new low of 133.8, today however I am back up to 134, I am not upset about it in the slightest. There could be several reasons for this I didn't drink enough water last night, had something a little to salty or there could be no reason at all! It is what it is

Several people on 3FC have made graphs of there weight loss, you should consider taking a look at a couple. You will see all the little fluctuations like on sontaikle's graph. Its really eye opening to see that everyone has those fluctuation but over time you still see a downward pattern. I also agree with runningfromfat, there is no rule stating that if you weigh once a day your going crazy and obsessing. I hate it when I hear people tell me I am obsessive because I weigh every day, obsessing has nothing to do with it. Different things work for different people.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #8  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

I weigh every day. I only record when it goes down.

Is that dishonest? I don't know. Maybe a little bit. The thing is, though, I know that I'm eating less than I need, that I'm exercising, and that the laws of thermodynamics haven't changed. Weighing every day keeps me accountable, but if it goes up, I know it's due to water or something, so I don't freak out, and I don't punish myself for it.

Now, if it stayed up, then I'd start worrying about it. But it'd have to park for at least three weeks before I'd freak out.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #9  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I weigh every day. I only record when it goes down.

Is that dishonest? I don't know. Maybe a little bit. The thing is, though, I know that I'm eating less than I need, that I'm exercising, and that the laws of thermodynamics haven't changed. Weighing every day keeps me accountable, but if it goes up, I know it's due to water or something, so I don't freak out, and I don't punish myself for it.

Now, if it stayed up, then I'd start worrying about it. But it'd have to park for at least three weeks before I'd freak out.
I love that you weigh yourself every day. And you know what? I just started doing it, too. Every day, screw it. If it goes up, it's a fluke, and if it goes down, I'm one pound closer to my goal weight.

Hearing everybody talk about it though is really helpful!

My Weight Loss Journey
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #10  
Newmeb440

Height: 5'6 1/2

Hello
I know your pain. I do that too. but i think its because when I dont look
at it.. It seems to go up.. So when I do look at it. keeps me in line.
I have found I look at it lately every day. But I only write down the number once a week...
Good Luck!!
Grace
LOSINITWITHGRACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSINITWITHGRACE View Post
Hello
I know your pain. I do that too. but i think its because when I dont look
at it.. It seems to go up.. So when I do look at it. keeps me in line.
I have found I look at it lately every day. But I only write down the number once a week...
Good Luck!!
Grace
I was thinking about doing that, but I just created a chart to chart my weight loss. I think that everything that I do on top of eating right and working out will really really help me stay on track. I mean I have 35 pounds to lose, it's not like it's a mere 5 pounds, but it's definitely not as big as what people have lost already so I feel like I owe it to myself and everybody else on here to stick with it because if you guys can all do it, so can I! This forum has really been so inspirational already and I'm only a few days in!

My Weight Loss Journey