Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #1  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Default Work Temptations

So I survived Halloween and Thanksgiving binges pretty well - there were treats of course but nothing overboard...

HOWEVER - Christmas at my office is becoming a pack on the pounts party!! Cakes, cookies, tubs of flavored popcorn, bags of chocolates, frosted Christmas donuts - every single day is a new temptation - is anyone else experiencing this deluge of calories in their office? If so, what are you doing to control the urges to eat all of the high caloric goodness??
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ugh. You have not seen temptation until you have cute little children offering you yummy cupcakes on their birthdays. I have this temptation all the time!

Honestly though, I just don't want these foods anymore. I've worked hard to get where I am and the thought of having something really sweet turns me off. If I DO want something though I plan for it in my calorie count and have a nice treat.

A lot of times though I simply find that when something sweet comes around that I just think: "whoops, no room in the calories, can't have it" and I just shrug and drink some water instead. It was surprisingly easy to NOT have Cold Stone the other day when my friends went for this reason.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

I work part-time, so on days I work I plan ahead. I leave a little wiggle room so if there's something I really want to have, I can have a little bit of it. It's hard not to eat everything, haha, but I've gotten used to just having a bit of whatever there is.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #4  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I stay out of the kitchen and keep my lunch at my desk! Plus I am purposely working from home during the xmas luncheon at work. I don't care, I'm too tempted and I'd rather keep to plan then be tempted just to spend time with people I work with! Sounds mean, but I come first!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #5  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

OMG - YES! My department uses quite a number of outside vendors so every day we are getting a new CRATE of something new. Same things you mentioned -- cookies, cakes, popcorn, chocolate, nuts, etc. They are being kept on a big table in our copy room so when I go in there to pick up something I printed or stand there as I am making copies of something they are there -- taunting me -- laughing at me -- daring me to eat them!

As I type this I am removing particles of popcorn out of my teeth.

I'm trying to survive. I am only allowing myself a little something-something around 2pm but then I avoid the rest of the day. I did SO great these past few days so I am still drawing on that motivation.

13 days and counting.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #6  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

ShanIam - I just laughed out loud reading your response re: popcorn.

I had pumpkin cheesecake this MORNING - Homemade by one of my co-workers I sit 10 feet away from! She does the Five days of baking every December...

I just feel awful b/c I had four amazing workout days last week, followed by four off days [longer than I ever usually take]...and then a horrible food choice today...

Ugh time to get back in the saddle and really find my motivation...
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/131.6/108

Height: 5'

I work in a drug store lol.Im surrounded by crap food all day everyday.
aware210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #8  

Bring your own healthy snacks!! Get a work friend to help motivate you to eat the healthy snacks instead.
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
Bring your own healthy snacks!! Get a work friend to help motivate you to eat the healthy snacks instead.

^this^ ... I agree; good plan!!!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #10  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

My work is so bad for this! I don't know that it's really any worse right now than it always is, but we are constantly being fed at work.

We have lunch time meetings with catered lunches, cupcakes, cookies, cake, and other birthday treats at least once a week, leftovers from other meetings in the building, free coffee, hot chocolate, danishes, soda, etc....all the time

It's very hard to resist!
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I just take a look at it and say to myself... "NSV for me!" for not eating it. Also, we used to talk here about doing victory laps... just walking around all the stuff we used to would have eaten and consider it a victory for not doing so. Also, there is a thread here I started called "Hey, Pass Me By" where you can log the stuff you did not succumb to! We have quite a list going over there and wow, looking at it all together, I can really see how many pounds we have let pass us by!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I am technically a college student, but the theater department has a room that all the students can use to do homework and just hang out. Of course, it's full of junk food all the time courtesy of the students and teachers. My first two years at college I ate whatever I wanted, all the time. No wonder I gained weight.

It took 2 years for me to learn to say "no" to things I know I don't need. As much as people think I'm crazy for it, it does help to count calories because I know that some days I can allow a tiny portion of some sweet. Other days I can't. Having one donut once a month isn't going to kill me.

It helps me to add up all the calories I would have eaten and then multiplied it by how many times I would eat it weekly, monthly and yearly. Realizing the lbs involved helps me!

But I certainly understand everyone's stories. Again, it took me two years to say "no".
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, my coworkers are constantly bringing in junk food!! The way I keep myself from eating it is to just avoid it completely. They put all the food on a table in the main break room, but we have 2 break rooms. I stay far away from the main break room when there's food out there. I don't quite have the willpower to walk past a table full of goodies and say "no."

Oh, and on Wednesday my office is bringing a huge Christmas dinner for lunch! It sounds good and it's free food... but do I REALLY need more than one Christmas dinner? I don't think so.
dana813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

My work environment was pretty good until a few weeks ago when we had a new person start and OMG this feels awkward because she keeps bringing out and offering salty and sugary snacks and nibbles to us almost every day.

I know she loves her food - which is fine with me. But I've been getting in early and eating my healthy snacks about 20 minutes before the time she normally comes around. This way, I can say, "no thanks, I've just had mine, but it's kind of you to offer".

I don't want her to get offended by my refusal, but I also don't want to just eat it to be polite. I won't give her my true reason for saying no, (that I'm trying to lose weight) because every time I say this to ppl as a response to them pushing food on me, I get this weirdness, as if, "huh? you don't need to lose weight ... la la la..." when really it's none of their business.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I used to work for an international organization in DC that was a) always sponsoring events with tons of catered food and b) always had staff (inc myself) traveling back from other countries and bringing snacks and sweets with them to share.

I perpetually have the "starving college student" mentality that if there is free food available I MUST take it. So what I started to do was keep Tupperware in my desk. If there was free food I wanted to try, I'd take some and store it in a container. That way I didn't feel left out of trying something new/taking advantage of free sandwich and salads from events, but I didn't gain a billion pounds either.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote