Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #1  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Default Oh yeah, I ate that, didn’t I?

So I went to lunch today with a friend of mine. I ordered a grilled chicken salad with dressing on the side and was REALLY proud of myself that I did not order a creamy soup on this cold winter day or dip into the bread basket. I even did a “look but don’t touch” drive-by with brownies in the break room. But as I was throwing something away at my desk I noticed an empty, small, yellow bag sitting in the trash with the word “LAYS” written on the front. I ate them around 10:30 this morning and completely forgot that I did until I saw the bag at 1:30!

I seem to do this all the time. Even when I am journaling my food intake for the day. It’s like I have some sort of food amnesia. Or a complete denial or disregard of what I am shoving into my mouth in a trance-like state.

Does this happen to anyone else? That when you reflect back on your day you have an “Oh sh*t” moment and remember eating something you forgot you had? I’m not terribly upset about the bag of chips (only 120 calories) but it bothers me I do this. The bag of chips might as well have been a donut or a cheeseburger!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I forget time to time. Thank goodness for Smart phones, what a great tool now!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I love your post!

My boyfriend does this all the time - except more extreme. He'll say "Oh MAN, I'm SO hungry... I haven't ate ALL DAY!" And then I proceed to tell him actually he had 2 yogurts, a few slices of cheese and salami, 2 cookies, and a banana. He only starts to remember that he has eaten after I tell him in detail what he ate.

I can remember everything I've eaten, however, I have *goal amnesia*. I will totally forget what I resolved to do. I will forget that I wanted to do a particular exercise that day, or that I wanted to eat a certain way. Or, if I want to do an experiment on myself - like, eliminate gluten, I'll forget I was doing the experiment and mindlessly shove a piece of bread or pasta in my mouth!

I need, like, some sort of flashing sign in my house that flashes the goals/ or resolutions I made for that day, constantly reminding me of what I wanted to do.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

I don't do it unconsciously, I know fully well what I'm doing and sometimes just flat out don't want to admit it
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I always know when I'm slipping....but i don't seem to care...until remorse starts.... I am thankful that if i choose to, recovery is in my hands.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I try to log my foods before I ever put them in my mouth because I have this exact issue as well. If I try to memorize everything, I will forget something and often times never quite figure it out. Recently, it has gotten really bad to where I forget if I've logged something or not! Then, I end up erring on the side of caution and logging it anyway. I usually have names for my foods on my LoseIt app, but sometimes, I'll just log something as 100 calories or whatever so that is a bit of an issue. You're not alone!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I log as I am preparing food, if I possibly can, otherwise I forget, too
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote