Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default BodPod results today and 8 weeks ago

Taken directly from my blog today - I didn't want to re-write it:

Well, I'm disappointed. Bear with me as I'm dealing with a self-centered mother in law who either is beginning to show signs of dementia or worse, is so self-centered that she's a bigger a$$ than I previously thought. I'm on day 4 of little to no exercise because of major dental work (did some light elliptical today) and that puts me in the dumps (exercise, especially in winter, is a huge mood booster). And then throw in the bodpod results.

I lost 10.25 pounds in 8 weeks for this Biggest Winner Challenge- less than I hoped I would have lost. I lost 1.3% body fat percentage (from 36.6% to 35.2%). I lost 6 pounds of fat and 4.25 pounds in "other" mass. Could be some muscle, but it's probably mostly water/glycogen as I was eating a lot of carbs just before the bodpod and since then I have given them up (this is conclusion of the guy running the bodpod too).

But it's less than I hoped for. According to that thing, I created an average daily deficit of 400 calories. I think this is what bums me out the most. In the beginning couple weeks I was eating about 1450 calories a day. As I got re-accustomed to less food, I decreased it. I was averaging about 1250-1300 calories for the last 6 weeks. I worked out 5 times a week except for this last week because of the tooth extraction and when I work out, I push myself HARD. My resting heart-rate of 50 I think shows that.

I take from that that my resting metabolic rate is much lower than they 'predict' it to be. They predict it at 1512. It's probably closer to 1200. AND, because I'm 'fairly' fit, I'm efficient. That means I don't burn as many calories per hour when I exercise either. It's hard for me to get a good caloric deficit, basically.

I know it's not a race, but this is hard for me. I used to say, "It didn't take 6 months to put on the weight, so you can't expect to take off the weight fast either." Well, I did put on the weight fast. And it is taking a LOT of effort to take it off and a long time. I can't really eat less. I can increase workouts a bit, but not tons. So, it's a bit frustrating to know that it's going to take me several more months to take off the weight that it only took 2 months to put on (well, to be fair, 10 pounds I put on a couple months before that, but I put on 20 pounds in 2 months WHILE exercising 3 times a week). But all in all I put on 30 pounds in 4-5 months and it was EASY. Taking it off (the second time around) is much harder than the first time - it's taking more effort.

What I've learned is that I have to stay away from carbs for like forever. Re-introducing them makes me crave them and then I lose control. And I wasn't eating tons and tons in those two months, but if my RMR is 1200 and I was eating 3000, that's gaining 29 pounds in 8 weeks if I'm completely at rest. So gaining 20 pounds with some movement seems about right. I know last summer when I was not losing or gaining and I wasn't exercising much (just gardening/landscaping), I was maintaining at about 1500 calories a day. That kind of stinks.

They predict my estimated total energy expenditure (TEE) to be 1875 if I'm sedentary. I know that if I eat that much, I would be gaining weight if I also wasn't exercising. With my very limited experience with maintenance 1450-1500 seems to be the magic number with light activity. My TEE is probably 1450-1500.

So, with TEE at 1500 and if I averaged eating 1400 calories these past 8 weeks (which is being generous with my diet), and exercised an hour 5-6 times a week and burned 250-300 calories a day for that (which again is WAY under-estimating caloric burn counts I get on calorie counters), THAT equals out to about 400 caloric deficit per day - which is what my weight loss reflects. I had THREE higher calorie days in those 8 weeks, so there is some wiggle room there, but not much.

It's all a learning experience, but I'm a bit bummed. I won't quit, because that's not me, but I'm a bit frustrated with myself. I'll just keep pushing myself and won't let that "down time" happen again. One thing I'm also doing is learning to make some low carb, high fat/protein snacks so that I don't feel deprived, but won't create cravings either. First thing I learned to make were those almond flour pancakes - eating those left me satiated for hours and I didn't eat more calories than usually. So, hopefully, I'll find ways to feel like I'm enjoying treats, but without the damage real treats create.

But... gotta keep plugging along. I'll probably do another bodpod this summer to see the progress. So far, though, the fancy Tanita scales at the PT's office and my home Ironman Tanita AND the bodpod all say the same thing for body fat percentages. And that's interesting as that same Ironman Tanita scale tells my husband that he has 4-5% body fat which is impossible! Figure that one out!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Oh, I'm sorry you're not happy with your results.

But your logic seems right. I sympathize because I find myself facing the same reality right now with my own weight gain because I allowed myself to eat more carbs than I should.

I found a study that said that PCOS women had lower RMR than regular "normal" folks and I wonder if that applies to anyone who is prediabetic/IR in general, not just PCOS. Or maybe the study reflected PCOS women, but it was really touching on IR people since so many PCOS women also have IR.

HUGS!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You're looking at this all wrong.

IF there is a zombie appocolypse who is going to be able to out run everyone else and live longer without food? YOU ARE!

What about your blood work? I'm guessing you're on the healthy side of every test they can throw at you.

I've seen pictures of you at the gym so I'm certain sure your husband ain't complaining.

You've figured out a way of eating you can live with forever and you've got an exercise you enjoy doing.

So ... everything is good. Right? Right???
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your results. Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
[...]
It's all a learning experience, but I'm a bit bummed. I won't quit, because that's not me, but I'm a bit frustrated with myself. [...]
I know the feeling.

I'm very frustrated with my progress (lost 4 kgs in 2 months) and to make matters worse I met this idiot today who told me 'you still have a belly'.

But I agree with you and I like your attitude: never give up, do a lot of research and, above all, keep on smiling.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #6  

Your persistence is inspiring to me even though you aren't happy with your results. I think your 10.25lbs in 8 weeks is amazing, esp. with the obstacles you were working up against. Hope your mouth is feeling better too.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Zombie apocalypse????? It's great that BBB has that one covered!

That's gotta cheer you up, right? Those maintenance figures are pretty scary and discouraging. Mine are even worse because I am short and less active. Hopefully, the threat of Zombies will motivate me.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Sorry you are unhappy with your results.

It is all data and I guess I'm missing something (other than that you are gonna be safe from the Zombies if they show up ... lol, I love the app Zombies, Run ... ).

You are creating a 400 calorie per day deficit?

Just looking at your ticker, you have lost more than 91 pounds?

Weight loss is never linear or a straight and narrow path with a timekeeper. Even with data, it is hard to hit the exact formula.

But hugs and good for you that you are going to keep plugging.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Oh, I'm sorry you're not happy with your results.

But your logic seems right. I sympathize because I find myself facing the same reality right now with my own weight gain because I allowed myself to eat more carbs than I should.

I found a study that said that PCOS women had lower RMR than regular "normal" folks and I wonder if that applies to anyone who is prediabetic/IR in general, not just PCOS. Or maybe the study reflected PCOS women, but it was really touching on IR people since so many PCOS women also have IR.

HUGS!
Thanks... And I think being in perimenopause also contributes to the slow/low metabolism. Well, maybe the upside is that I'm having to learn to deal with menopause slow down early on so that I won't have the middle age gain.

I can hope, right? And I'm sorry you are dealing with a slow/low metabolism too. It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You're looking at this all wrong.

IF there is a zombie appocolypse who is going to be able to out run everyone else and live longer without food? YOU ARE!

What about your blood work? I'm guessing you're on the healthy side of every test they can throw at you.

I've seen pictures of you at the gym so I'm certain sure your husband ain't complaining.

You've figured out a way of eating you can live with forever and you've got an exercise you enjoy doing.

So ... everything is good. Right? Right???
JohnP thanks for the laugh. And yes. I'm healthy. I'm just too chubby (but I'm working on that). For sure, compared to two years ago, I'm in way, way, way better shape and I need to keep things in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I'm sorry you're unhappy with your results. Hugs
Thanks Mozzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
I know the feeling.

I'm very frustrated with my progress (lost 4 kgs in 2 months) and to make matters worse I met this idiot today who told me 'you still have a belly'.

But I agree with you and I like your attitude: never give up, do a lot of research and, above all, keep on smiling.
Nasty people stink! Ignore people like that! But yes, giving up is NOT an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Your persistence is inspiring to me even though you aren't happy with your results. I think your 10.25lbs in 8 weeks is amazing, esp. with the obstacles you were working up against. Hope your mouth is feeling better too.
To be honest, the first 3 or so pounds were water weight from coming off the carbs. My loss is the slowest it's ever been for being on plan as I've been. Don't know why except that it's life and life is unpredictable. But... it's going in the right direction, so I can't be too glum with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Zombie apocalypse????? It's great that BBB has that one covered!

That's gotta cheer you up, right? Those maintenance figures are pretty scary and discouraging. Mine are even worse because I am short and less active. Hopefully, the threat of Zombies will motivate me.
WOuld help if I were into the whole zombie thing, but... I'm too uncool for that! ;-) I'll keep plugging away. Don't have another option in my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
Sorry you are unhappy with your results.

It is all data and I guess I'm missing something (other than that you are gonna be safe from the Zombies if they show up ... lol, I love the app Zombies, Run ... ).

You are creating a 400 calorie per day deficit?

Just looking at your ticker, you have lost more than 91 pounds?

Weight loss is never linear or a straight and narrow path with a timekeeper. Even with data, it is hard to hit the exact formula.

But hugs and good for you that you are going to keep plugging.
Well, my disappointment is that the ticker used to say 110 pounds lost. And, I used to create a bigger deficit with the same activity. Something has changed - my losses have slowed despite the working out and diet. AND I'm mixing up my exercise too - not doing the same thing all the time. So much for that idea!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #10  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Melissa, I totally get what you're saying - it sucks to accept how small the margins are now. I'm older and shorter than you but we're in similar places, I think. I gained 10+ pounds in 3 months and it's daunting to think of how long it will take me to lose it, since I just can't imagine going back to eating 1200 calories a day like I did when I first started losing in July 2011. An hour of exercise gets me maybe a 400 calorie burn but I've got some chronic issues that make that painful sometimes, so I don't want to count on that. Not being able to eat as much as I'd like shouldn't be such a horrible thing but...it's tough.

John P's post was spot on except the part about having found a way of eating you can live with forever. This is where it breaks down for me. I'm just not sure I can do this forever. If I were a betting person, I'd bet you can do it, though. You are always looking for solutions and moving ahead.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Oh, didn't know about the ticker. Sorry. But as you know that happen re creating the deficit as weight is lost. You have a smaller body and it burns less.

The losses always slow.

During the two decades more or less since I weighed 100 pounds more than now, I have had numerous shifts like this & gained some, took off the gain, revamped the program, have never regained the major weight but it is not linear, it takes continual work ... for life lol.

You are awesome! Hang in.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Age and former obesity makes that a tough climb - you DO get more efficient, even at rest. But your persistence and hard work is worth note, and your body IS working, just a little too well in some areas

Big hugs and congratulations on the progress! What's the alternative? I'd say maintaining or losing gradually is far preferable to getting heavier and more out of shape every year. And you deserve a lot of respect and high fives for that!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote