Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #1  
I think I can...

Default My 2 HR IF FAIL!!!

I've been hearing alot of good things about Intermittent Fasting. So I decided to give it a go. Usually I wake up and am not very hungry often I force myself to eat breakfast just because I thnk I should eat.
Well today The start of my IF I was planning to start eating at 2pm and end and 8pm.
First I was famished when I woke up a 7am. I made the kids breakfast and after that it was all over.
LOL the human mind is a terribly cruel thing. So here I am at 9:34 having my breakfast (which is just a protein shake and 24oz of water). Maybe I'll try again, but I don't think so. I think I just like to eat too much.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I think there's an adjustment period for IF.... But apparently once you get into it, it's easy. I've never tried but I, like you, have read a lot about it and am intrigued. It may be something I put into practice closer to maintenance, but right now I don't think it would be good for my mental state to start saying I can't eat when I'm hungry.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6

I've tried it too, numerous times and couldn't do it. I have two kids to take care of and that requires a lot of energy and food gives you energy, lol. I felt faint and very weak. Does that mean I'm weak? No, it just means IF is not for me. But hats off to anyone who can.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Good lord, that's a lot of guilt about wanting to follow a standard eating pattern! Failure and cruelty are not words you should be thinking here, nor that it's your fault for "wanting to eat too much". Wanting to eat several times a day over a reasonably large time period is not the same as wanting too much, it's the most common way of eating. IF works for a few people, and for them it can be wonderful, but they are a minority. No doubt there are plenty of people who, like you, tend not to want breakfast, who try IF and then find that the few times they do want breakfast are enough to make IF a poor choice for them. You tried it, it didn't work for you, you've learned something about your weight loss journey, and that will be useful for the future. It sounds like you need a flexible plan, where you can have breakfast some days and not others without this inconsistency derailing your plan.

I realise that to some extent you're joking with all the language about failure, but it's still reflecting a strong preoccupation with the guilt mindset. Guilt is incredibly bad for weight loss, it's what leads to a binge/starve cycle amongst other things. Do be careful with that.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

its definitely not for everyone..... i found i really enjoyed it ( not having to think about food as much, and getting to have FILLING meals at mealtime.

I also noticed an incredible gain in strength while doing IF... were talking some lifts i was doing 50% to even 100% more weight! ANd i dont lift light, and i always go to failure, so its not like i was wimping out before --> i was able to go from DL 155X5 to 185lbX5, OVERNIGHT practically ,y chest flys went from 15 pounds to 25 pound DBs... these are examples....

ANyway, my "theory" is that my body, for the last two years, has, for the MOST part , been in a constant state of depletion, a caloric deficit... prettyy much all the time. SO when i did IFng, and was able to eat MORE in one sitting, some of that food actually went into glycogen storage in my liver and muscles...... leaving me "pumped" or "swole" (which idint like, actuially), with real energy to use and burn during my lifts.... it made a HIGE difference
on the down side, because i would "stuff" myself dduring those 2 or 3 meals in the eating window, i always felt like i was in a constant state of bloatiness.... YUCK
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

I half-heartedly tried IF too but my schedule is so erratic. I really don't care to eat breakfast during the week so it's easier to start later. However, on the weekends, my schedule is upside down and I usually have brunch plans on Saturday and Sunday. It just doesn't seem realistic for me. I stick to regular ol' calorie counting and it's easier for me to stay consistent.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #7  
I think I can...

I don't think it'll work for me because I usually do start eating around 11 or so.
Thanks for your insightful response Esofia however when I said "fail" I mean as in something that I tried and it did not work. Not as in I'm a failure. IF was not right for me but calorie counting is so I'll stick to that.
(Eying my Greek yogurt & grapes).
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote