Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #1  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Default Eating out of boredom, help!

I'm certain that I'm not alone in this but I'm getting bored at home and when I'm bored I eat because there is nothing to do! I'm currently not working due to surgery in October and still recovering so this leaves me home alone all day with nothing to do, and with nothing to do I tend to eat for no reason other then I'm bored! My exercise is limited to an upright exercise bike due to not being allowed to lift/carry anything over 10lbs or bend over either, again due to surgery so even my exercise is boring! lol

Does anyone else fight with the boredom/eat problem? Recently I started jumping on the exercisse bike for 5 minutes when I notice myself getting up to go to the fridge for no reason which oftentimes does occupy my mind and when I'm done I don't want to reach for that snack I was going to before but that gets boring after a while too! I'm in a rut due to not being able to do too much which just frustrates me further but I was wondering what others who may find themselves "boredom eaters" do to try and combat this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 07-24-2011 at 11:37 PM.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

SweetTreat - I used to eat when bored all the time, but I have gotten better. What I did was always have something I could eat raw that was low cal, and healthy available to eat. My favorites were cucumbers, celery (plain), spinache (plain), carrots, and broccoli. I also would sometimes make plain green beans, peas, mixed vegis or eggwhites with pepper or salsa. You can eat a lot of anyone of those with out doing too much damage...and there is only so much you can eat of them with out feeling full.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #3  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

I totally understand. Especially if you like to cook, it can be something to do as an activity rather than just fuel for your body. I try to start with a glass of water when I'm bored... if the itch doesn't go away, I try and do what envelope suggested and munch of veggies or something else low cal, or I make a cup of coffee.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I struggle with this a lot. I eat when bored, sad, mad, lonely, anxious, happy, excited...you name an emotion and I can use food to do whatever it is that it does for me. I obviously do it less now. What I usually do is have some 15 calorie popsicles or chew gum. How about crocheting? How about getting a sketch pad and drawing? I sometimes use colored pencils and draw anything....I'm not even good but it relaxes me and gives me something to do. I hope you recover well and look back on this time as a chance to get to know yourself better....maybe do some meditation...deep breathing....I think there's some guided meditation on youtube which may even speed up your healing.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #5  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I come here and post... Look at before/after weight loss videos on youtube (really inspiring!)... Do something that otherwise occupies my hands (I've taken up knitting for this very purpose)... Walk outside and sit in the sun, since I don't like to eat outside (it attracts bugs) that keeps me from munching... And sometimes I lay on my stomach and read a book, for some reason laying on my stomach makes me not want to eat, maybe because of the pressure on my stomach? Eh, anyway, thats what I do. And if I do end up munching on snacks anyway, I try to make them healthy and very low cal like cucumber slices or a sliced apple.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Try to think of something you've always wanted to do or learn more about. It is only a good thing to have lots of free time if you can be somewhat productive. I love cooking, but I don't allow myself to cook as often anymore (as it leads to me wanting to cook something fun and different every day, regardless of how healthy the food is). What really helps me is reading, you get to exercise your brain and learn more about whatever subject you want. You just have to think about your passions in life. Maybe you're more musical? So you could dedicate some of your time to learning an instrument? Maybe learn a foreign language? Exercise is obviously good but, you know, I feel like losing weight is really about finding a balance between body and soul. People often forget to keep their minds as active as their bodies.
jedesherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I am working at home now and am between contracts so YES I definitely eat when I'm bored! I would just be hanging around online or reading and really really want something to nibble on.

Honestly what helped me the most was Intermittent Fasting. Knowing eating was NOT an option until 12 PM or 2 PM, or whatever time my "window" opened made things sooo much easier. It's a lot easier to just know you CAN'T eat anything rather than feel like you can eat and face the decision on what that will be (for me it was usually an unhealthy one!). I would drink tea or coffee until the afternoon, then have a delicious, full lunch. After I would be so full I wouldn't *want* to eat anything until dinner.

It is a much, much healthier and easier way of managing a lot of free time and a lot of access to the fridge!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

I am a boredom eater. It ain't easy!

I've become a fan of "to do" lists, because there's always something I could be doing instead of loafing about. I also come to 3FC a lot to read and participate. It keeps my fingers busy, and keeps my eye on the prize!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #9  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Alot of very good suggestions, thank you all! I will start trying them today and see what works for me. I have a feeling I'll be spending alot of time on this forum reading the inspirational stories and looking through the amazing and inspirational photos. If that doesn't keep me occupied and motivated I don't know what will!

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 07-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #10  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

I used to do this as well. I would combat it by drinking water, chewing gum, or exercising. Sometimes I would also fins something intentionally productive to do.

Brushing/flossing your teeth works quite well, as long as you're not overdoing it. That way, you don't want to eat because whatever you eat will taste like toothpaste. Also, your teeth stay cleaner.

Last edited by m3k; 07-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #11  

I find drinking a lot of water and browsing the interwebs helps a lot. You need both hands to type which means you cant eat at that moment.
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #12  

Hey Sweettreat80

You can actually lose weight without exercising, so the deal is to eat what does not put weight on. If it fills you up too, even better. And, clearly (to me) that is protein plus vegetables or salads.

The other useful tip, for me again, is to prepare food in advance. Eg, one of my favourite meals is venison burgers (low sat fat) cooked in tomatoes with whatever veggies I have lying around - peppers, courgettes, mushrooms. A bit of chilli and garlic and onion. Lovely. Yesterday, I made 2 batches of 4 burgers, and froze half of them. The others I will eat over the next few days.

Now, when I eat I don't have to think - it's sitting there ready. And it's very filling, and does not put weight on.

Of course exercise is good for health generally: it is just not essential for losing weight.

But for losing weight I do recommend interval training. In fact I believe it's the only exercise which will definitely take off weight.

I appreciate your exercise options are limited after your hospitalization.

Hope this helps.

Healthy Malc
healthymalc is offline   Reply With Quote