3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Family so draining (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/235191-family-so-draining.html)

envelope 06-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCandEs (Post 3884838)
I wonder if my MIL is just threatened by me? Your mom might feel the same way. She doesn't want to change what she eats. She thinks you are depriving yourself if you eat healthy. I don't know. My own mom is just the opposite, so it's really frustrating for me.

This is off topic but your statement reminded me of when I told my SIL that we were not going on vacation and paying for it with a credit card because we did not want to be in debt. She replied, "Wouldn't you regret not having gone on vacation if your husband died?" To which I replied, "We would regret having the debt I would have to struggle to repay on my own if he died!"

Beach Patrol 06-09-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishkeberry (Post 3884112)
I couldn't live with my mom, either. I live two hours away and she still feels like she can boss me around sometimes.

I couldn't live with my mom either!
I moved over 300 miles to get away from her. Ack!
(But I love her, cause, you know, "she's me-mum!") :dizzy:

tinamariex16 06-09-2011 04:30 PM

I work for family.. and they try to sabotage me on purpose. They're very health conscious and just want to be able to tell me I can't do it. I've started just pretending that I don't even hear them.

txladymedic 06-09-2011 05:03 PM

I would volunteer to go back to Afghanistan or Iraq before I'd go live with my Mom or MIL. And I get along with my Mom and MIL but they both make me a little crazy some times.

theCandEs 06-09-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by envelope (Post 3885025)
This is off topic but your statement reminded me of when I told my SIL that we were not going on vacation and paying for it with a credit card because we did not want to be in debt. She replied, "Wouldn't you regret not having gone on vacation if your husband died?" To which I replied, "We would regret having the debt I would have to struggle to repay on my own if he died!"

LOL Don't you love how people try to run your life? I guess what is so extra frustrating about it is that my mom doesn't do that, so I don't always know how to handle it.

Kaonashi 06-09-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimicat76 (Post 3883898)
but they were yelling at me cause i wouldnt eat fried chicken and potato salad (which i cant stand potato salad anyway)

Ye gods, were we separated at birth? Because I LOATHE potato salad and people are ALWAYS trying to convince me that their potato salad is "different" and that I would like it.

Err...no. It's nasty and the texture is foul.

Angie 06-09-2011 09:58 PM

My mom waffles between being really supportive and completely undermining. When she is undermining or tempting me I don't think she means to sabotage me, but she just feels tired of this eating healthy game. In our family food is a reward..you deserve to eat the foods you want because you work hard, and are a good person, and not being wealthy, you don't have many other luxuries... It's a hard mindset to move past.

txladymedic 06-09-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaonashi (Post 3885467)
Ye gods, were we separated at birth? Because I LOATHE potato salad and people are ALWAYS trying to convince me that their potato salad is "different" and that I would like it.

Err...no. It's nasty and the texture is foul.

Ohhhh and here I thought it was just me...I can't stand the stuff! And yet everyone thinks I've gone mad. LOL I just want to scream "No I don't want to try your *blank* potato salad...I don't care if yours is different....I DON'T LIKE IT!"
Coleslaw is a different story though. My Dad got me into eating Coleslaw when I was little by letting me help make it and by putting apples in it. I to this day make mine from scratch with my Dad's own special sauce. The Slaw is lightly covered in this delightful Mayonnaise based sauce and is ohhh so good.

Kaonashi 06-10-2011 12:50 AM

Coleslaw is delicious!

I can't eat stuffing either. And I hate it when people stuff turkeys with the stuff because that horrid nasty stuffing taste goes all through the bird and completely ruins it. Sometimes, I feel bad when both potato salad AND stuffing is on the menu and the person obviously takes pride in their cooking and seem genuinely upset...

...but I don't feel bad enough to attempt to eat it! BLECH!

Munchy 06-10-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanIAm (Post 3884985)
I am saying this in the nicest way possible but it sounds to me like your mother is pretty self absorbed. Meaning, she doesn't REALLY know (in denial?) how eating bad can really affect you. And if she doesn't know it then she doesn't know why you are doing it. And believe me, I used to be self absorbed too. My ex husband was a Marine and had to keep in tip top shape. Do you think I cared what kind of fried foods I made for dinner? Nope. It was all about me and I didn't really understand the impact it had on him.

Just stay diligent and strong. If your mom wants to buy herself a pizza or burrito then so be it. Just do what you need to do for yourself.

Sorry :(

Cosign this 100%. Just do what you do, and your health will improve. At a certain point, you have to just take care of yourself, regardless of what others want to do with their bodies.