3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Family so draining (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/235191-family-so-draining.html)

mzKiki 06-08-2011 07:16 PM

Family so draining

Since the beginning of the week we knew it would be 100 degrees a few days this week. Definitely too hot to cook. My husband, children and I live with my mom in her home. I do most of the cooking. It's just easier and since it's 1 of her and 5 of us it's just fair. Plus I can make sure I'm eating the right things.
The thing is my mother (who is about 30 pounds overweight with a bad knee) is very resistant to eating healthy. She is adverse to ground turkey, chicken breast, brown rice. MOST THINGS HEALTHY.
Often when I cook she says she didn't like it. My mom is from the south and makes a HUGE meal on Sundays, usually fried chicken or something smothered in sauce, candied yams, 3 layer chocolate cake. (you get the picture).
During the week she brings home cakes from the bakery, chocolate bars for the kids and has a freezer chest stocked with ice cream. It's just exasperating.
So we had planned to have turkey sandwiches and salad for dinner today because of the heat. She texted me around noon saying she wasn't i the mood and would just bring home a pizza. UH, NO! Then later texted and asked did I want a burrito. We did end up having the sandwiches, but I just don't understand why she seems to be against me so much. She's great in every other way except this! DRIVING ME CRAZY.

zoodoo613 06-08-2011 07:25 PM

:hugs:

I couldn't live with my mom.

bargoo 06-08-2011 07:29 PM

She's the Mom, that's why.

kimicat76 06-08-2011 07:40 PM

i went thru the same thing when i went to visit my sister for her birthday in april. i told them i was on a diet but i would still eat some cake and ice cream. ( a small bowl) but they were yelling at me cause i wouldnt eat fried chicken and potato salad (which i cant stand potato salad anyway) most of my family is overweight and doesnt care about health so its extremely hard for me to get away with good healthy food around them >.<

mzKiki 06-08-2011 08:03 PM

Isnt it crazy? I'd think your loved ones would want to see you healthier.

DixC Chix 06-08-2011 08:07 PM

Maybe its time to pull out the "my doctor told me I have to lose weight/get BP under control/limit simple carbs due to prediabetic condition, etc" card. If she knows your ultimate health is at risk (untimely death) with unhealthy food and meals, she may be more open to it. Untimely death seems drastic but sometimes you've got to get dramatic to make your point.

kimicat76 06-08-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixC Chix (Post 3883939)
Maybe its time to pull out the "my doctor told me I have to lose weight/get BP under control/limit simple carbs due to prediabetic condition, etc" card. If she knows your ultimate health is at risk (untimely death) with unhealthy food and meals, she may be more open to it. Untimely death seems drastic but sometimes you've got to get dramatic to make your point.

lol i tried that one too cause my gyno told me to lose weight. they told me oh **** you can cheat cause its your sisters birthday..... ugh no im already cheating with the dang ice cream and cake lol

kimicat76 06-08-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzKiki (Post 3883935)
Isnt it crazy? I'd think your loved ones would want to see you healthier.

it is crazy! the only skinny person in my family (my uncle) is the one whos usually complaining about me not eating then tries to give me a talking to about losing weight!!! hes a very strange man......

darius 06-08-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoodoo613 (Post 3883878)
I couldn't live with my mom.

:D

shishkeberry 06-08-2011 10:40 PM

I couldn't live with my mom, either. I live two hours away and she still feels like she can boss me around sometimes. That's when I ignore her calls, lol.

theCandEs 06-09-2011 12:15 PM

Your mom sounds like my MIL.

Ugh! I know what you mean. My MIL sat me down a couple of weeks ago and said to me, "You don't need to lose any more weight, honey!" and tried to push fattening foods on me, to boot. I'm so glad I don't live with her. She would drive me nuts.

I wonder if my MIL is just threatened by me? Your mom might feel the same way. She doesn't want to change what she eats. She thinks you are depriving yourself if you eat healthy. I don't know. My own mom is just the opposite, so it's really frustrating for me.

Lovely 06-09-2011 12:20 PM

:hug:

There's one (okay sometimes more than one) in every family, huh?

Angelique 06-09-2011 12:50 PM

I think that sometimes people do that because they feel guilty that they aren't eating better. They try and get you to eat the old way to get rid of their guilt because they're not ready to eat healthier.

mzKiki 06-09-2011 12:59 PM

Thanks guys. I always felt maybe she was threatened in some way. So i'll just keep playing snack dodge ball.

ShanIAm 06-09-2011 01:37 PM

I am saying this in the nicest way possible but it sounds to me like your mother is pretty self absorbed. Meaning, she doesn't REALLY know (in denial?) how eating bad can really affect you. And if she doesn't know it then she doesn't know why you are doing it. And believe me, I used to be self absorbed too. My ex husband was a Marine and had to keep in tip top shape. Do you think I cared what kind of fried foods I made for dinner? Nope. It was all about me and I didn't really understand the impact it had on him.

Just stay diligent and strong. If your mom wants to buy herself a pizza or burrito then so be it. Just do what you need to do for yourself.

Sorry :(