Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #1  

Default Hi I'm new and struggling

Hello, I just started about a week ago on a low carb diet. I'm also keeping calories low as best I can.

I used to think exercise would solve it all, but I'm learning that you can't have a bad diet, exercise, and think it will turn out ok, it hasn't.

Anyways, I've had a lot of mood swings. I have a depression problem so I'm also worried about that poking out during this time.

I went from drinking 3-5 sodas a day + fast food runs to chicken + salad and diet soda with little to no carbs in between.

My few questions are
How long before you begin seeing results?

I broke down tonight and ate some "regular food" that had some carbs and noticed myself become a bit nauseous, is this normal?

I'm tired all the time and find myself getting anxious or depressed quickly, does that happen to you? Also have had a hard time thinking clearly.

Do you like to go "all out" on diets or do you sneak in favorite snacks here and there?

Thanks

Last edited by Bribarian; 06-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Bribarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #2  

Hmm.. I don't know, I actually don't follow a low carb diet so I can't say how long it will take to see some results.. Maybe you should start this diet more gradually. More like a lifestyle change? That you will keep forever and with that you will also mentain your weight loss.. I love how I eat now and I love my exercise, don't miss any crap foods, don't really feel like on a diet at all, but a few months ago I gained again, because maintaining is not just stopping when you think you lost enough weight. I didn't stuff my face with fast food and ice cream right after I lost weight, I just stopped exercising as much, ate too much there, too much here, and here we go again.. I think you will see results, but what happens after that is the problem .. If you can keep up the low carb thing good for you, I couldn't but many have had great success..
khat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

Sounds like you are on the right track by learning a great truth: Losing weight is about DIET, not exercise. Seems counterintuitive, right? I mean you watch all those weight loss shows with them sweating off pounds left and right by exercising hours and hours and one would think, that's what I need to do! Wrong. It took me a long time to understand the phrase: 90% Diet and 10% exercise, but it makes sense. If you eat 1500 calories a day of healthy food - you're full and probably don't need to exercise any above getting the mail to lose weight. But if you eat 2 glazed donuts for breakfast, a big mac meal at lunch and fettucinne alfredo for dinner, there are not enough hours in the day to exercise that off! A glazed donut has 200 calories in it - need to walk 2 miles for each and another mile for each and every can of sugar-filled coke.
Now exercise is worthy - good for general health, gives more energy and raises metabolism and , yes, burns calories, but you want those to be 'extra' calories, not "I ate a donut" calories.
So congrats on understanding a basic principle. Keep going!

Last edited by NTexas; 06-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Most people doing low-carb see results within a couple days due to water weight dropping. Don't try keep calories low if you're doing low-carb, especially if you're exercising. On a low-carb diet you should feel full or at least not hungry most of the time - unlike a low-calorie diet, where you might feel hungry still but your calorie count tells you to stop eating. I also recommend not cheating at all with carbs, just stick to whatever limits you have planned, and if you're still hungry eat more meat, cheese, eggs or whatever your low-carb snacks are. Are you following a plan that you know has balanced nutrition? If you're not following a plan and just choosing low-to-no carb options you may not be eating enough vegetables or other important foods.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #5  
At it again

Hi Bribarian! Make no mistake, this is a tough journey, but the good news is that, for most, it gets easier and easier with each passing day. I used to get discouraged thinking about all the weight I had to lose and how long it would take to get there, as though that end goal was the only thing that mattered. However, one of the best things I've discovered is that I didn't have to lose "all" the weight to start feeling good. In fact, just 5 lbs gone started to make a difference. I felt good about accomplishing that little goal and was excited to meet the next challenge. Concentrating on today makes it much less overwhelming.

I too count calories and eat low carb, though not to the drastic levels that some plans suggest. I've cut out pasta, rice and potatoes, but I still usually have a portion or two of low cal whole grain wraps/bread each day. I know I am not going to live the rest of my life wrapping lettuce leaves around my sandwich filler, so I choose the healthiest "bread" I can and plan for those calories. It's okay to fit "regular" food into your diet. It's not ok to eat it in unlimited amounts.

As far as the physical symptoms you're experiencing go, I've never had to deal with any of that, but I know some people have experienced real withdrawal symptoms after giving up sugar and 5 sodas each day is quite a bit of sugar. Also, if you've switched from caffeinated to non-caff, that could be causing issues. I think khat has a good point, making such drastic changes so quickly makes it really hard for most people to stick with it.

I'm sorry that you're having a tough time right now, but it will get better, I promise. Try to stick with it as best you can. Remember, you don't have to be perfect; just try your best. And spend some time on these boards. You will learn a ton and find so much inspiration and support; it will definitely make things easier!
rmc9142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #6  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Hi Bribarian! Sounds like you need a hug

I am finding out that exercise alone does not remove weight. Exercise along with a 1200-1500 calorie per day HEALTHY diet works to stimulate weight loss, and the exercise plus healthy food stimulate positive attitude and TONS of energy! I also have a problem with depression and anxiousness - but after about a month of eating healthy and exercising my those symptoms haven't been felt... Makes me believe what my doctor said ages ago... Eat better and get some exercise - or - take Zoloft. I tried the Zoloft and had some bad side-effects, so I got very serious about the healthy eating and exercise. I feel GREAT now. You will too!!! Stick with it! Once you get past week 2 on a sugar-free diet the bad symptons stop and you can add in more veggies and fruit. OR, you can switch to a low-cal diet that allows for healthy carbs to avoid the crash-diet symtoms. HEALTHY carbs provide the energy & B-vitamins you need to avoid depession, and exercise plus some sunshine every day will kick in the serotonin you need.

I've read Body-for-life for women, and The Beck Diet Solution. Both are very good books. Also, you can log your calories & exercise online at a few different sites. About.com/caloriecount is free and has minimal advertising.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/185/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi.
I tried the atkins but i only lasted about two weeks and maybe lost like 7 pounds but i just couldn't keep it up. i did it cause my mom's bf lost like 70 pounds on atkins but i guess everyone is different. if you feel like it's not for you try another plan. i really like the weight watchers. i've been doing that for the last couple of months and i'm down almost 23 pounds. it's a slow process but in the end i think you'll be happy.
Good luck and stay positive!!
mandy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #8  

Thanks for answers!!

My biggest worry is becoming depressed, can that happen during a diet?

In any case, I'd like to say this is a lifestyle change, but I'd be lying. I'm looking forward to the end of this diet so I can stuff my face again. It's one of the few pleasures I have in life. I know that's now the attitude I should have, but it's what's going to happen. In any case I'm going to lay off full flavor sodas completely. That's what I think put my weight on mostly.

The reason I'm doing this diet is to keep it under some control.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #9  
This is for life!

Had you been depressed at times before the diet?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
Had you been depressed at times before the diet?
Ya I'm on medication for depression
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #11  
This is for life!

Weight gain is one of the side effects, as are anxiety, agitation, and anger (not to mention suiside!.) Google "side effects of anti-depressants". they ALL have similar effects, and unfortunately, when our depession doesn't improve the doctors increase dosage and/or add another drug to create a anti-depressant cocktail.

Honestly, eat healthy and exercise - it is working for me, and the only side effects are feeling GREAT and losing weight. There are great articles about the right foods to eat... Google "alternatives to anti-depressants" and "eating to fight depression".
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

Height: 5'8"

My suggestion to you is that you have a physcial and some blood work done, a complete blood panel to show everything. Underactive thyroid, low vit. D, and other deficeiencies can cause depression.
Make sure they check T3's and T4's.
Wish you the best.
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #13  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribarian View Post
In any case, I'd like to say this is a lifestyle change, but I'd be lying. I'm looking forward to the end of this diet so I can stuff my face again. It's one of the few pleasures I have in life. I know that's now the attitude I should have, but it's what's going to happen.
It might be easier and less overwhelming to think about what you are doing today, or this week, and not worry about what will happen months and months from now.

I have found that what has worked for myself is not thinking in terms of the rest of my life. Thoughts like "I can never have _____ again" just make whatever that treat is seem more important than the weight loss.

Instead of worrying about what will happen at the "end" of the diet, just think about what you can do right now to make this process feel less like punishment for yourself, and more like something you are doing for yourself, to help yourself feel better.

I like to stuff my face too - I enjoy eating, and I like eating huge piles of tasty food. What has worked for me is to figure out ways that I can go right on doing that while I am losing weight - finding tasty dishes that I can eat in enormous quantities the way I enjoy eating.

Instead of rice (even brown rice), pasta, or potatoes (even sweet potatoes), I tend to choose big mounds of delicious roasted, seasoned vegetables. Then I put on top of that a measured portion of whatever I would have had with the rice, pasta, or potatoes - meat, or fish, or cheese, or lentils.

By making choices like that over and over - not by saying "I can never eat pasta again!" but by saying "today, I'm going to eat vegetables instead of pasta" - it breaks down the enormity of the process into something more manageable. And, it helps it feel like something I am doing because I want to, not something I am doing to punish myself for being fat and gluttonous.

Last edited by carter; 06-06-2011 at 09:17 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribarian View Post

In any case, I'd like to say this is a lifestyle change, but I'd be lying. I'm looking forward to the end of this diet so I can stuff my face again. It's one of the few pleasures I have in life. I know that's now the attitude I should have, but it's what's going to happen.
You're right; that's NOT the attitude you should have. It's completely self-defeating! In fact, I would suggest that you work on your attitude first and diet/fitness plan second. What purpose does it serve to lose any weight if you're just going to put it right back on?

And perhaps you should examine why you chose a "low carb" diet. Is it because you heard you can "drop weight quickly"? It doesn't sound like it's something you can sustain. Whatever diet a person chooses should be something that doesn't make them feel deprived. Deprivation diets are futile to most of us. We eat what we don't like, give up what we do like... is it any wonder we buckle & go back to old eating habits after a short amount of time?

I decided a long time ago that I would not try a diet that cut out foods that I love. I still have ice cream. I put mayo on my sandwiches. I eat potatoes. I also like to indulge my chocolatey goodness during TOM. But the fact is I WORK IT INTO MY CALORIC LIMIT FOR EACH DAY.

Quote:
In any case I'm going to lay off full flavor sodas completely. That's what I think put my weight on mostly.

The reason I'm doing this diet is to keep it under some control.
Keep WHAT under control? Your soda intake? I loved Mountain Dew. Never wanted to endure a single day without it. But at 170 calories per can, I knew it was not a weight-loss tool! And I tended to drink those 20oz bottles of it. I tried Diet Mtn Dew. YUCKO. So I got the bright idea to MIX half Mtn Dew with half Diet Mtn Dew. And little by little, I increased the Diet and decreased the regular. Now I've been drinking Diet Mtn Dew for over a year. I love it. And real Mtn Dew just taste WAY too sugary! BLEH!

So my advice to you is simple:
1 - Change your attitude! If you're going to diet, then dammit give it your best shot. Give it the ol'college try. NIKE it! (Just do it!) Create your own run with the big dogs or stay on the porch kinda attitude!

2 - Decide what kind of diet YOU want to be on. RESEARCH. Look at different diets, see what appeals to you, what doesn't. If you LOVE bread, going low-carb doesn't make sense. If you LOVE meat, you probably wouldn't do well as a vegan. If you superbly enjoy butter on your toast, going low-fat probably isn't for you. You'll find that THE DIET THAT WORKS FOR YOU is the one that you don't feel like you're "dieting" on. It WILL BE something you can sustain for life.

3 - Stick around 3FatChicks. There are some truly wonderful people here with plenty of good advice, tips, ideas, recipes, etc. And they have had some amazing success. YOU CAN TOO.

As for the depression... I can so relate. I have had debilitating depression three times in my life, and always fear a 4th is around the corner. I've been on Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Celexa... constantly trying to find which medication worked the best, and how much of it to take, etc. Each depressing episode has been more daunting than the one before it. I've been off Prozac about nine months now, with no recurrences thus far. But if I ever get depressed again, I have no qualms about getting back on the medication. Better to be fat, happy & alive, than skinny & dead, or feeling like I want to die, IMPO. So please don't let depression take you down. That can be fought too, so fight it.

And remember - ultimately, it's all up to you. Your life. You decide what to do with it.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 06-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote