Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Angry Stress Management

I feel so stuck. I've done everything I can think of. My stress is out of control. It is LITERALLY choking me. I went in for an upper endoscopy last week and the doctor dilated my throat and said I'm having severe stress- induced esophageal spasms. I choke on food/drinks/my own saliva. The dilation helped but the doc said it'll be a temporary fix if I don't get my stress under control.

My health is rapidly deteriorating, im only 23!!! I work out, despite the pain it causes (I took a 6 week break, but it didn't matter) and it doesn't energize me- I'm even more exhausted than before. I have a membership to a local massage therapy place and get a massage a minimum of once a month. I have scheduled in time during the week to be social and do things fun and light hearted. And so much more!!!

My last idea is to pick up journaling again. Any suggestions? Any one else find themselves in such a pickle? I'm a very positive and very PROACTIVE person, I refuse to let this get the better of me. But I'm not sure how much more mental resilience I have left... Eeeek!!!

Last edited by blondebombshell; 04-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

When I was having severe stress this past fall I took Xanax. It helped so much. Could you get a prescription from your doctor for that? It really helps take the edge off and soothes your feelings. My stress was inducing severe chest pains and while I was on the Xanax I didn't have any. You can't take it forever but it could help you even out your emotions so you could work through everything.

I hope you feel better soon.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Try googling Jon Kabat Zinn and the use of meditation in stress reduction. I've been reading all his books & listening to them on audiobooks -- I just listened to one today during a four & a half hour drive.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with meditation but also medication could help. I wouldn't discount that. My husband takes Lexapro for his issues with his MS and it has helped him immensely!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

You have a lot of resillience left. You just need to develop it more. You have the right attitude, asking for help, being proactive to find a solution for you. It sounds like you are ready for some real growth!

Go to http://www.ebt.org/. Really, in the last 15 years, I have been through some terribly stressful times. I ate my way through most of it. I used to take meds for anxiety and depression. But the one thing that saved me, my health, my heart and soul, is Emotional Brain Training. It is not a quick fix, but within a month of learning the method, I started feeling better and better. And now, I feel like a strong, deeply rooted tree in the middle of my family's hurricane-like dramas. And I have absolutely quit using food as an external solution to my emotional issues and I'm losing weight and exercising regularly.

I'm going to the EBT national retreat next weekend. I'm lucky because it's so close to my location. I go to an EBT group every week. It costs money to learn the method and participate, but I have foregone cable TV, going to the movies and going out, buying extra stuff, just so I can do this. I don't know where you are in New Jersey, but there are EBT providers in your area. Go to the website to find one.

Last edited by geoblewis; 04-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote