Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #1  

Height: 4' 11"

Smile New and looking for help/support

Well I guess Ill just jump right in! My name is Heather and Im a 22 (almost 23) year old college student. Im going to school to get a degree in Early Childhood Development so I can open my own daycare one day.

For a long time now Ive been telling myself "You HAVE to start losing some weight" but I just keep putting it off and dont know why. Its starting to really make me depressed because I just dont feel good about myself because my other friends are slim and I want to be too. I remember being alot smaller in high school and I just want to be healthy and happy again.

Any tips and encouragement would be SO nice and welcome. I dont have access to a gym right now but i have the P90X program.

I look forward to meeting new people and making friends and also getting back into shape!
Heather Lee 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

You can totally do it! I know some days losing seems impossible, Id advise days like that to go to the goal section and reading some of the stories.

Have you figured out an eating plan? your food choices are like 90% of weightloss. exercise is definitely important to your health but what you eat rules all. I personally love calorie counting because it is free and I can eat whatever I want if i can fit it into my allowance.

there are all sorts of plans weight watchers, atkins, eating clean, etc. each have pros and cons. the best thing to do is pick something sustainable because if it is hard to stay on it is more likely you will fall off it.

another couple good things to keep in mind are

A. falling off your chosen food plan is not the end of the world, the thing to do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. It is not a good excuse to go crazy the rest of the day/week/month or whatever. think of it this way if 3500 calories = 1lb then an extra 400 from a slice of cake or whatever does not do anywhere near the damage as if you decided that because you blew it by eating the cake that its ok to go crazy the rest of the day.

B. the scale is finicky, it can be up due to time of day and food intake, water retention based on dehydration, salt intake, exercise etc. dont let it rule you or your moods

GOOD LUCK!!!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #3  

Im actually looking for a good meal plan to follow and work out routine. im a college student so money is tight and im all about saving when i can lol. do you have any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

Hey Heather! Welcome, I am not new to 3FC but I have been gone for several months from the board due to falling off the wagon and putting all my weight back on But tonight I came back and I am looking for support too. I am 24 and a college student as well and previously worked at Child Care Centers, it's an amazing job, I loved it!

I have never done p90x but heard it works great... if you stick with it. It's pretty intense but those who go through it and keep it up do great. I am loosely following weight watchers. I don't actually belong to the program, but I do have a point value I try to follow and I judge most foods by their points, with avoiding some foods in general all together. And I love Micheal Pollan's quote which is in my signature

Welcome to the boards, good luck with this!!!
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Hey, girl. We've all been there, seriously. It sucks being any age and overweight, and whether it's five pounds or a hundred plus you have to lose, everybody has at one point or other not been happy with their weight. We're all working toward the same thing. Seriously, this forum has been my rock, and hopefully it can be just as helpful to you. I'm 23, and I just want to live my life normally. I'd like to be able for one second to do something like, go to a club or party and be beautiful, not just the fat chick stuffed into a dress. I've made a lot of progress and you can too. Good luck!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

i completely understand the broke college student life style, i lived it growing up (had a single mother, we lived in on campus family housing) and i currently work part time and am in school full time so my budget is tight as well.

unless you have access to the weight watchers plan without paying for the meetings or something similar I would definately try calorie counting. there are many sites that help you track and have most foods already loaded in their memory banks. I use ( my fitness pal.com ) remove the spaces, this site blacks out some sites and that is one of them. but there are many and it just depends on your own preference.

calorie counting is good because you are not limited to any type of food, you can buy whatever sounds good and is affordable you just have to plan a little to fit it in your calories.

I try to stick to more fresh foods but i do admit i am a huge fan of 100 calorie packs and single serving packs as well. staples that i take with me to work or school where i cant really refridgerate anything or cook anything are welshs fruit snacks, string cheese, 100 calorie nuts packs.

one thing that is crucial for calorie counting is making sure your count is accurate, that means measuring ingrediants if you are cooking. pasta is something that it is REEEEAAAALLY easy to eyeball wrong and have your calories alot higher then you think.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #7  

thank you all so much! im really looking forward to loosing some weight and making new friends. all of my close friends are naturally slim and can eat whatever they wont so they dont really understand where Im coming from. It seems like calorie counting is a favorite for alot of people on the site so Im going to jump right into that. what about exercise? what are some of yalls favorite and routines?

And fatferretfanatic I know just how you feel! I like going out to clubs and stuff but I cant seem to have a good time because im self conscious. I always think someone is looking at me and judging me. I wish I could be one of those bigger girls that totally embrace their size but Im far from it lol.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #8  

also what is a good total of calories for each day?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #9  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

It's one of life's great mysteries...procrastination. We know we need to do something, know we'll be better for doing it, and we keep putting it off until tomorrow.

We only have a certain number of tomorrow's that we'll have in our lifetime. Is putting it off worth losing any of them?
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #10  
is chubby

I found that living healthier is way WAY cheaper. I mean I only buy half the food I used to and here in Greece veggies, lentils and fruit are like dirt cheap and meat/junk food is like super expensive.
I heard that in america it is the other way around, but I am not sure.
If you have the same prizes like us you will find out that eating healthy can make you save up to 200 euro a month
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

You're not joking, Chubbykins. Meat is sooo expensive in Greece, but it's worth it to have a bit now and again-but veg is super cheap. I loved it when I was in Greece for my study abroad! Even here in America one can eat healthy and be cheap-I don't eat near as much as I used to, and my groceries last twice as long.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

I know that there are other sites too, but I use fitday.com to track calories, and if you set up a weight goal, it has tools to help you figure out how many calories you can have to meet that goal. It's not perfect, but it's a place to start.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #13  

Im going to start counting calories on monday so wish me luck everyone lol. my big problem will be exercising. Im not to sure where to start so if yall have any ideas PLEASE let me know. I really wish i had the money for a 24 hour gym(I loove going late when no one else is there!) but for now ill have to do it at home or around home. Thanks for all the tips and support already. I can tell Im really going to enjoy and use this site alot
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Heather, a great place for starting exercise without a gym is YouTube videos. I'm a huge fan! There are HIIT routines, pilates sessions, pushup/plank routines, and yoga sequences. It's a good way to try out different ways of exercising for free and see what interests you the most. Walking along your street is wonderful too. The most important thing is to just MOVE so as long as you are doing that it's a huge step in the right direction
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote