3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   TMI: Gas Problems? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/230064-tmi-gas-problems.html)

LisaP916 04-07-2011 09:24 PM

TMI: Gas Problems?

I apologize in advance for the TMI but I'm not sure where else to turn.

I've been following WW (and I'll post it there too) for two weeks now. On their Points Plus plan, fruits and vegetables are "free" foods - meaning no points. So, naturally, I've been eating fruit for most of my snacks - mainly apples and bananas.

Perhaps not coincidentally, over the last two weeks, i have had the WORST gas of my life. My poor DH is getting smoked out of house and home. Since I've seriously never eaten this much fruit in my life, i'm not sure what's normal. Is this much flatulence normal?! And will it taper off as my body adjusts!?

I'm tempted to try Beano. Has that worked for anyone?

lackadaisy 04-07-2011 09:58 PM

I've developed this problem too while dieting -- according to a quick Google search, too much fiber, or too much fruit, or too many legumes, or too many good-for-you veggies (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower) all cause flatulence.

The natural remedies include taking more vinegar (no thank you, I also sometimes have heartburn) and cutting down on fiber (nope, I sometimes have constipation too). I'd like to hear more solutions, including medication/supplements. This is a horribly annoying problem to have.

mel23 04-07-2011 10:28 PM

water water water water. drink it. it'll help.

side note--apples make me way gassy, so unfortunately, as much as i love them, i try to cut back

K9Owner 04-07-2011 11:06 PM

Simethicone (the pharmaceutical agent found in anti-gas medications) and
Beano may be the route you should take for a bit before you ditch the fruits and veggies, especially if you haven't been accustomed to eating large portions of these foods. Over time, it is possible for your body to become tolerant to the increased intake of these foods and produce less gas.

Until then, I would defo recommend the Beano or Simethicone and have another helping of :broc:

((soon 2b tracker)) HA :D

gagalu 04-07-2011 11:58 PM

it's likely because your fiber intake has increased dramatically. fruits and vegetables can be pretty high in fiber. the sudden change will throw you off at first, but your body should be able to adjust to it.

JustSharing83 04-08-2011 01:56 AM

I had this problem for a while, but I upped my water and used Beano with foods that caused the worst gas. It's pretty well worked itself out and I'm back to normal. :) Good luck!

LisaP916 04-08-2011 08:05 AM

I drink a minimum of 64oz of water a day already. I mY have to try the Beano until it gets under control because it's just awful! Thank god I have my own office at work! Lol!