Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #1  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default TMI: Gas Problems?

I apologize in advance for the TMI but I'm not sure where else to turn.

I've been following WW (and I'll post it there too) for two weeks now. On their Points Plus plan, fruits and vegetables are "free" foods - meaning no points. So, naturally, I've been eating fruit for most of my snacks - mainly apples and bananas.

Perhaps not coincidentally, over the last two weeks, i have had the WORST gas of my life. My poor DH is getting smoked out of house and home. Since I've seriously never eaten this much fruit in my life, i'm not sure what's normal. Is this much flatulence normal?! And will it taper off as my body adjusts!?

I'm tempted to try Beano. Has that worked for anyone?
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I've developed this problem too while dieting -- according to a quick Google search, too much fiber, or too much fruit, or too many legumes, or too many good-for-you veggies (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower) all cause flatulence.

The natural remedies include taking more vinegar (no thank you, I also sometimes have heartburn) and cutting down on fiber (nope, I sometimes have constipation too). I'd like to hear more solutions, including medication/supplements. This is a horribly annoying problem to have.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

water water water water. drink it. it'll help.

side note--apples make me way gassy, so unfortunately, as much as i love them, i try to cut back
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #4  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Smile

Simethicone (the pharmaceutical agent found in anti-gas medications) and
Beano may be the route you should take for a bit before you ditch the fruits and veggies, especially if you haven't been accustomed to eating large portions of these foods. Over time, it is possible for your body to become tolerant to the increased intake of these foods and produce less gas.

Until then, I would defo recommend the Beano or Simethicone and have another helping of

((soon 2b tracker)) HA
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #5  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

it's likely because your fiber intake has increased dramatically. fruits and vegetables can be pretty high in fiber. the sudden change will throw you off at first, but your body should be able to adjust to it.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #6  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I had this problem for a while, but I upped my water and used Beano with foods that caused the worst gas. It's pretty well worked itself out and I'm back to normal. Good luck!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #7  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I drink a minimum of 64oz of water a day already. I mY have to try the Beano until it gets under control because it's just awful! Thank god I have my own office at work! Lol!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote