Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

It's just breakfast I have a problem with and not other meals really. I will get light headed and cranky if I skip lunch or dinner but it doesn't result in sickness or issues with eating later on. Not sure what causes it. I don't eat that much sugar and I usually keep my carbs pretty low.

To be honest I find it more strange that not eating when your body is expecting it wouldn't cause a physical reaction for some people. Your body naturally wants to hold on to as much fat as possible and it is designed with safe guards to keep you from tapping into its "savings." If it didn't our species would not have survived during hard times.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #32  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
Your body naturally wants to hold on to as much fat as possible and it is designed with safe guards to keep you from tapping into its "savings." If it didn't our species would not have survived during hard times.
This is not quite right. The safe guards you mention are pretty minor. Our bodies defense against starvation amount to decreasing our base metabolism by a small percentage and making us feel tired so we will sit around more. Our body has absolutely no problem at all tapping into it's savings. "Stubborn fat" ceases to be stubborn and muscle is automatically catabolized in true starvation conditions. With a few minerals and water humans can survive for long periods without food specifcally because we can so easily tap into our savings.

The real issue is that our bodies are extremely efficient at digestion and storage of excess energy with no safeguards against getting fat. Most animals have safeguards against becoming too fat because they evolved that way. A fat deer won't live very long for example.

Couple this with modern society where food is abundant and society is sedentary and you have millions and millions of fat people.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
This is not quite right. The safe guards you mention are pretty minor. Our bodies defense against starvation amount to decreasing our base metabolism by a small percentage and making us feel tired so we will sit around more. Our body has absolutely no problem at all tapping into it's savings. "Stubborn fat" ceases to be stubborn and muscle is automatically catabolized in true starvation conditions. With a few minerals and water humans can survive for long periods without food specifcally because we can so easily tap into our savings.
Your body can survive without eating for long periods of time but that doesn't mean you don't feel it. I've had a few times in my life where we were too broke to have food and we lived off of one top ramen a day and I can tell you it is very painful to be in starvation mode. The pain dulls after the first few days but it is in no way a easy going experience and doing anything feels like an uphill battle. I would never in my life wanna have to experience it again which probably part of the reason I stayed fat for so long.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote