Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #16  
The True Ice Queen

S/C/G: 270/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I admit I am lazy. I hurry up and make plans to do millions of things - but never actually do them. It doesn't really matter if they involve actually physically moving or just sitting around behind the computer.

I try to add activities to my life so I'm not so lazy - but again, I suffer from the hurry up and wait syndrome.
30 Fat Still Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #17  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

My laziness wasn't like "I can't lift that 40 lb bag of dog food because I'm too lazy". My laziness was more like Lori Bell said, I became very sedentary. I would watch a lot of TV, play on the computer. Stuff that took very little effort, mentally or physically.

I also seemed to get lazy about (and I'll admit this is very difficult to say), every day personal hygiene. I would put off taking a shower and brushing my teeth. Everything seemed like a huge struggle and more effort than it was worth. These are not things that I enjoy openly admitting, but things that I feel will lead to my "healing" if I am able to say them outloud.

As I said previously, the woman I was referring to in the opening post was a jerk. Plain and simple. She was probably told really ham it up for ratings. Or at least, that's the way it seemed. However, some of the things she said definitely did apply to many of the reasons why I got fat and stayed fat for so long.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

I want to be innocent, and say no?
I did what i enjoyed. Instead of going out and playing sports, i enjoyed watching old movies with my mum indoors all weekend, and i slipped (as i got older) into even worse habits with a full time job and as much money to spend on food as i wanted.
I feel, i didnt have the tools or wasnt taught to do things that would be beneficial to my health
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #19  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I wasn't lazy - I was depressed and experiencing intense anxiety. And that can look an awful lot like laziness, even to the person experiencing it.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

Fat people, thin people, anyone can be lazy at any weight. I'm not lazy. My job requires me to sit in front of a computer for the good part of ten hours daily. And because that's mentally exhausting, I'd rather play computer games or watch TV for fun on weekends rather than go out and do sports or whatever. That's not being lazy for me, though that's why I became fat.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #21  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm lazy!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 192/160/135

Height: 5'7"

lol I like to consider myself lofty not lazy! Since the age of 10 one person or another has accused me of being lazy. Its not that I wont put forth any physical or mental effort toward something, just the things i dont find enjoyable or fun. I would rather go for a walk with the kids than fold laundry so thats what I do. I hate washing dishes so I buy paper plates. I like afternoon naps so I take one. Also I'm a procrastinator of the worst kind. I have A hard time focusing on one task as well. So if I am finaly cleaning house, I often times jump from one chore to another never finishing the previous. When my so comes home it looks like I have done nothing all day.
mandy280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #23  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

im lazy, but im sure most of my weight gain has been through a bad diet. theres lots of things that contributed to my lack of exercise, main one being a very controlling ex that didnt want me to leave the house. i did buy myself a workout dvd but he would always walk in the room whilst i was using it, and i hate exercising in front of people. since he left i've been doing a lot of walking which i love but the dvd is still gathering dust lol
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #24  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I WAS lazy! I wasn't an "excuse maker" though...I knew i was just being lazy even when I was overweight. I was not lazy in the way that I didn't want to move...but I was too LAZY to think about my food choices and begin an exercise program even though I have an extensive HOME GYM, all the nutritional EDUCATION in the world, and knew I was getting fat (I didn't wake up one morning to discover the extra 60 lbs gained!)

Also...I'm come to the realization that I too am "lazy by nature"...a couch potato, if you will. I LOVE just hanging out there with a bucket of baskin robbins. This is something that I will have to make a conscious effort to watch/monitor for as long as I want to be fit/trim.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 03-09-2011 at 06:55 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #25  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I was (and am) "lazy" by nature, if laziness means preferring to do something sedentary to something highly active. Yeah, there's no doubt that someone who would prefer to curl up with a great book or write one of her own is more prone to weight gain than someone who would rather play tennis. I was an uncoordinated kid. I naturally gravitated to "thinking" pursuits over "doing" pursuits and I became chubby because of it. I don't think that natural inclination will ever leave me.

Being fat also made me "lazy," if by "lazy," you mean "not willing and able to take care of stuff that needs doing." Thirty pounds ago, I could either sweep or mop my kitchen; doing both just killed my back. Yesterday, I swept, then mopped, then cooked a meat loaf with roasted sweet potatoes, spinach, and asparagus--and I didn't even think about my back until I sat down and realized, "Hey, this doesn't hurt!"

So whether fat made me lazy or being lazy made me fat is hard to say; past a point, they became a positive feedback loop that just spiraled into more fat. I'm not excusing myself by saying, "Oh, I'm uncoordinated!" or "Oh, I have back pain!" because both of those things improve with exercise and weight loss. But I would contend that what looks like "laziness" may have a lot more behind it.

If that woman wants to call my lack of coordination and reticence to exercise "laziness," I feel entirely justified in calling her lack of empathy and reticence to broaden her mind "stupidity." I can't help but wish fifty pounds of "laziness" due to thyroid trouble on her; she'd learn some empathy the hard way, then.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I got fat because I got lazy, moved from the city to the suburbs and so I missed out on so much walking that I used to do naturally. Started getting stressed from starting my own business and eating more.

Then when I did decide to get active again, that wasn't enough to turn it around and get the weight off - it wasn't until I joined WW and really cut back on my eating that the weight started to come off.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #27  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I was lazy when it came to exercising and I'd decline offers to hang out with friends because that would require me to get up from the couch or bed, brush my hair, put on make-up and leave the house. Ironically, I didn't have any problems doing that (minus the make-up) to run to the grocery store or fast food joint. *sigh*

Yup. That was me. Lazy with no willpower. I even went to the doctor to get blood work done because I was in such denial about how I was gaining weight that I SWORE it had to be a thyroid issue. Instead I received a clean bill of health. That was a year ago and it took me that look to finally do something.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I was lazy as a kid, always preferred lying around reading to running and jumping. As an adult, there was no TIME to be lazy! Working full time, raising kids, going to school, keeping house, yardwork, you name it. Some days I never sat down until everyone was in bed. Still got and stayed fat, though. Now, there was a lot of MENTAL laziness in my adult life. It's easier to do 7 hours worth of things in 3 hours when you don't have to cook. Picking up prepared food and taking it home to feed us all was NOT a necessity, that's what I call laziness. I hated to cook, didn't really feel comfortable with it, didn't really know how, and we had to eat. . .so that's about all the laziness I'll admit to.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #29  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i'm lazy whatever size i am. my fav. activities are reading, 3fc, and playing video games other than exercise. i procrastinate everything.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #30  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I was lazy. When I was obese I did things like always looking for the closest parking spot and picking the elevator over the stairs every time.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote