Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #1  

Default The "down swing"...before TOM.

Its becoming that TOM! Like clock work, about 2 weeks before TOM hits, I start with little cravings at night. I assume it has something to do with hormone changes that occure after ovulating?? I really don't know.

Then about a week before TOM, my weightloss STOPS. Then a few days before I see a gain of like 1-2 pounds. Pair that with food cravings that have magnified ten fold and its a recipe for disaster!!

Since the 2 1/2 weeks that TOM (before O, which I call the middle point) are the good weeks, where I see rapid weightloss, including the water weight from TOM and no food cravings, increased energy, I call them the "up swing"...corny, I know!

And the weeks I'm about to start, where it get sooooo hard to stay on track...the "down swing"...

I'm typing away because right now I want soooo bad to go out in the livingroom and pour a HUGE bowl of my son's goldfish (I mean HUGE freakin bowl) and eat, eat ,eat!!!

But I've been doing so good, I don't want to ruin it. I'm sitting here with 2 bottles of water, and 3fatchicks, and hoping these 2 will get me through until I go to bed! I'll be going to bed in about a half hour.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Oh! I have totally been there... although when I read goldfish I thought you were craving REAL GOLDFISH! I forgot about the little goldfish... I can't have those in the house!

You can hold out. Just remember the better your willpower now the better the upswing will be!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

My boyfriend and I were talking about this just last night. About how difficult it is to pin a "real" weight because two out of every four weeks a month, my hormones have total control over my weight it seems. And my weight differ from TOM can seriously be upwards of 14+ lbs, that drops practically over night when it's over. It is TERRIBLE.

Also; I just don't have what it takes to NOT munch during TOM. Last night I did perfectly at staying at 1,500 calories - but still felt like I NEEDED more food. I ended up making two whole grain Eggo waffles before bed. It's so hard to balance the "I NEED to lose weight to make my body healthy - and I'm not ACTUALLY starving so I don't need these snacks" and the idea of "Maybe my body is trying to tell me that it actually really does NEED to eat more".

I can't win.

From one TOM Chick to another, you're not alone, lol.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I always find the day before and day I get it, I get the munchies and go a few lbs up on the scale with water weight(unfortunately, that would be today) and then after those days I'm fine. The positive side is that if I've stuck to my plan during it, within the day or two after it's over, I'll usually be below the pre-TOM weight by a lb or two.

I've read that a woman's metabolism does speed up a bit during her menstrual cycle, so that would certainly explain the increased appetite and more positively, nice little drop some of us get if we stuck to our plans by the time it's over. If what I read was true, then that makes a nice extra incentive to stay on track during it, doesn't it?

Last edited by Horo; 01-13-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It's the week before TOM and I've had ONE on-plan day that didn't involve over 300 calories of dessert. I feel your pain!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support!! I'm going to bed, but I know this is only the beginning. Until TOM gets here. Stacygee, if my son didnt live on goldfish, I would never keep them here! Because they are the first thing I go for when I cheat. ANd Eskinomad, I have the same problem. I've been doing so good, not hungry, then all of a sudden, I'm getting hungry at night. I even uped my cals today, starting with a higher calorie breakfast....but I think it TOM because I get hungrier. And then I wonder if I'm not eating enough. Its such a pain, but if I wasnt eating enough I'd notice thins all month long I guess.

Good night!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #7  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

My TOM was 16 days late! So I gained so much! I hope to see a difference after it is over. I understand about this effectings weight loss but I have cravings all the time not just TOM so I don't see a difference. Hang in there! You can do it! Just think when it is over you will feel awesome!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

AND....the award for best use of smiley icons in a thread GOESSSS TO.....

LOL...I think we can ALL identify with your post OP...haha!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #9  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm right there with you, and it's always the same pattern that you described. Right now, I've met my calorie allotment for today and I went OVER yesterday, so I have to stick to plan today...but I'm craving a peanut butter and honey sandwich so badly that I am struggling against the urge to get up from my chair. I'll probably have peanut butter on a cracker or something to try to compromise, but IT'S NOT THE SAME! Gragghh!! *pulls out hair*

EDIT: WOO! Ate a salad instead, and I feel much better now. Still craving sweet, fatty foods, but much more manageable.

Last edited by maalisse; 01-14-2011 at 02:40 AM.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
AND....the award for best use of smiley icons in a thread GOESSSS TO.....

LOL...I think we can ALL identify with your post OP...haha!
Thank you!!! I was trying to take a looooong time to write my post. Really get creative...so I wouldn't go out in the kitchen and eat goldfish!!
It worked!