Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Default Triggering "Skinny Gene" - Has anyone heard this??

Hi all

Yesterday at the Laundromat, I was browsing through an old copy of Cosmo someone had left there and there was an article on triggering the "skinny gene" where it was saying that if you increase calories one day and then restrict it the next day, you trigger the skinny gene. Now, I know its Cosmo and harldy the Journal of Medicine, but has anyone heard this? I guess it makes sense in some way given what i've read on body becoming use to same calories over a number of months and not losing weight or the starvation mode but the problem is that Ive read so many articles on weight loss and done so many different diets that now I am really confused!!

What do you all think?

xoxo
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #2  
~Kim~

I've never heard of it called the skinny gene but I do understand the concept. It's calorie cycling basically. You keep your body, or your metabolism guessing by feeding it different amounts of calories. I'm not doing it right now, but when my losses have started to slow down in the past I've done it and my losses have increased. I'll definitely be doing it again, probably by the end of the month.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

The premise sounds likely for eventual study but not while genetic physicists are still trying to identify the cancer indicators in RNA.
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've heard of calorie cycling and I do it myself to lose AND maintain my weight. I just eat a varied amount of cals depending on my hunger levels and how much I exercise or how much I indulged over the weekend. I wouldn't say I triggered a gene of any kind, that sound like Cosmo gimmick, but I do think it has kept my metabolism at full function. I also feel like it's a more natural way to eat. People who don't have to "watch" their weight naturally eat more when they need to and less when their less hungry, their bodies are telling then how to regulate and it keeps their metabolism functioning well. Just my two cents.

Last edited by ncuneo; 01-03-2011 at 10:01 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 213/204/140

Cosmo is full of BS, it's a misleading article. There is such as thing called calorie cycling, but it won't trigger a thing called the skinny gene. It's basically a tactic to sell magazines.

I would post a link but I cannot yet, but if you google it, answer fitness dot com has a good Q&A on it.

And if you google "skinny gene" you'll find a lot of back and forth on the topic.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Thanks everyone! I never knew about calorie cycling and since reading on it, it sounds great! I've been stuck on my current weight for over a month now, so going to give it a go!
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #7  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

i too have never heard of tis before, but i guess it would make sense. lol.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just because words are put together into a sentence that can be understood doesn't mean that the idea "makes sense."

My understanding of the summarized research is that you either have this gene or you don't. So, if you don't, you can switch calories all you want, but nothing is going to be "turned on."

Watch out when they start selling the pills...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

That's a good one!

I'm experimenting with calorie cycling right now and it has broken a long standing plateau I've been on. But I do not think it has triggered any sort of gene.

Just add me to the list of calorie cyclers for whom it has worked!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote