Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down Emotional Eating

I had a completely crappy Christmas Eve (food wise) and just feel the need to be accountable here where I won't be judged.

I am a total bored and emotional eater and Christmas Eve I received a card from my father whom I haven't spoken too since I found out I was pregnant with my first child (four years ago). This sent me into such a panic I ate several pralines. Yikes.

My sister hasn't spoken to him in 14 years and got a card as well but didn't drown herself in a pint of ice cream so I know I don't have to either. I completely lost self control and am bummed about it but I'm trying to move past it and conquer my eating issues. It's just hard and frustrating trying to break lifelong bad habits.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I know how hard it is to be an emotional/bored eater because I've been that way for about 10 years now. It is very frustrating. But, don't get too down on yourself. Just take a deep breath, and know that it was just one day, and move forward. That is something I have to tell myself when it happens. And you're right...it is a habit because emotional eaters turn to food out of habit because it makes us feel better...but habits can be broken and changed, so that's the good news!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW173/CW164.5/GW140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I know how hard it is to be an emotional/bored eater because I've been that way for about 10 years now. It is very frustrating. But, don't get too down on yourself. Just take a deep breath, and know that it was just one day, and move forward. That is something I have to tell myself when it happens. And you're right...it is a habit because emotional eaters turn to food out of habit because it makes us feel better...but habits can be broken and changed, so that's the good news!

I agree with this! I to am an emotional/stress/boredom eater and its my biggest challenge. But You can overcome it!
justjen78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #4  
Zumba Freak :)

S/C/G: 267/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

As am I the same! But it's a mind over matter thing. You have to break free from that desire of indulgence to make yourself feel better. Instead of eating, take up jogging or doing something active to relieve stress. Clean the house or wash your car. There are other outlets for this kind of stress
martha328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #5  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel. I will eat and not even think twice. But that's most of my problem... I don't think twice about it. I find its easier for me to not overeat if I do get a little obsessed about it because then I am more aware of what I consume. If I'm constantly thinking about food then I pay more attention and it seems kinda weird to get obsessed like that but the more I do it the easier it is to make the right choices without thinking twice... hehe just thinking about the logic sounds funny.
Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I also had a Christmas Eve Father-related problem. And I was so upset and mad, I wasn't thinking straight. I remember being in church, totally not paying attention, just thinking about what happened. At one point, I thought, "Well, when I get home, I'll just eat a lot and I'll feel better"--then I caught myself in that thought. Luckily I was in church, and had no access to food for at 45 minutes, so I was able to think about it, and realize that stuffing my face wasn't going to make my dad a human being.

Next time, you'll be better prepared after this experiance--at least you can take that from it!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

To me, having been an emotional eater, it's really important to develop strategies for times you are very emotional that don't revolve around food. You need to take care of yourself...just not by eating! For me, this means:

1. Exercising. Seriously, nothing gets out the stress like pounding pavement, lifting heavy, or kickboxing.

2. Taking a long bath with a mug of tea - all the comfort, none of the calories

3. Escaping into a good book. Sometimes you just need to ignore reality for a while.

Doing one of those three will almost always make me feel better, with no caloric damage. Figure out what strategies you can use, and be prepared with them when strong emotions hit.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Big hugs to you! I know exactly what it is like to be all emotional and turn to food. Forgive yourself and love yourself. Try other things instead of eating, the eating cannot be taken away but it can be replaced.. for me talking about my emotions and acting somehow was a way of reducing the power that i have given to food. As well as emotions, i tend to procrastinate by eating, now i just address procrastination itself.
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone!

I'm not really berating myself over it due to the fact it is a success in itself. Normally I would have gone way off course and wouldn't see the path that leads to my goal for 12 months (or more ).

Luckily I have a super supportive awesome husband who helps balance out some of those issues from my past.

One step at a time I suppose!

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 12-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #10  

Default Emotional Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
I had a completely crappy Christmas Eve (food wise) and just feel the need to be accountable here where I won't be judged.

I am a total bored and emotional eater and Christmas Eve I received a card from my father whom I haven't spoken too since I found out I was pregnant with my first child (four years ago). This sent me into such a panic I ate several pralines. Yikes.

My sister hasn't spoken to him in 14 years and got a card as well but didn't drown herself in a pint of ice cream so I know I don't have to either. I completely lost self control and am bummed about it but I'm trying to move past it and conquer my eating issues. It's just hard and frustrating trying to break lifelong bad habits.
You are doing well by asking for non-judgmental support and you have received it from your friends here. This is a great support group. I would like to add a bit of insight to the mix. Think about what support means and what support does. It reminds you to learn from your experience. It reminds you not to beat yourself up. And it touches on, but does not yet do justice to the main issue, which is in order to control your weight you will have to understand why you need to run away from your emotions into food.

As you said here, your sister didn't, but you did. What emotions did your father arouse in you with this card...we can guess, but only you can know, and you can find out by pausing and thinking and using the best part of your mind to master those emotions. That is the only lasting answer to emotional eating..you must learn about your emotions, and prove to yourself that you can handle any emotion without running to food.

Roger Gould, M.D.
shrinkyourself is offline   Reply With Quote