Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Question Holiday meal words of wisdom

Hi there,

I just wanted to share some things that I plan to think about when it comes to these holiday feasts. I hope everyone can come here and post any words of wisdom.

It's good to be aware that statistically, we eat 40% more when we're with other people. Have you ever noticed how you're done eating and you see others still eating, so you go for seconds, or maybe even thirds? Keep that in mind and take the time to really chew your food until it's completely squished in your mouth.

Try to use a small salad plate for your entire meal. It is possible to trick your brain into feeling like you've had a lot more when really, it's just a smaller plate.

I will drink a lot of water before the meal. I will be picky on my splurges. I will fill up on salad (no dressing) and lean turkey meat and only sample the most appealing calorie laden foods. So, basically, I might just pick my favorite. If I must have the stuffing, then I probably will skip the pie, etc. I won't have cranberry sauce, for example or the potatoes (sweet or mashed) since I really don't think those will be calling my name. However, I think the stuffing is something I might just want to have. The cranberry sauce usually has incredibly high amounts of sugar since cranberries are very tart.

Finally, I will tackle this one holiday at a time. It would be nice, at the end of the season, to look back with pride and know that not only didn't I gain weight, but I actually lost some!

Oh, and I will definitely have gum after the meal...when I know I should stop but might be tempted to continue.

So what are your words of wisdom?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #2  

Wow, that's so awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Procrastinating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #3  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

I also eat from small plates and bowls. I prepare ahead of time to ensure my calories are fine with my plan. I sometimes take no more than a tablespoon of foods just to taste them, and serve myself larger portions of food that are on my plan.

Non food helps...I knit, so I bring my knitting to keep my hands and mind busy. I also take breaks in the bathroom, where I regroup my mind if it is straying from staying on the task of staying on my diet. A 5 min meditation really helps realign my thinking.

Happy Holidays!
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #4  
Happy Member

Stay focused, be careful, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote