Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Does anyone else lose in a weird sawtooth tragectory?

I'm pretty certain at this point it's related to my cycle in some way... but it's really annoying to see the scale do these crazy things!

For the last two months on day 10 of my cycle I gain 5 lbs of water weight overnight. I maintain that gain for at least a week until it comes off 1lb a day for about 10 days. So, at the end of the month I'm down 5 lbs... but it all came off in the same week the rest of the month is really discouraging even though I'm aware of what's happening. During the time I maintain my clothes fit looser, as well... so I'm losing inches just not lbs. Really odd!

Does anyone else lose like this or is my body just weird?

ETA: I don't do cheat days and I'm always on plan... just strange.

Last edited by ValRock; 11-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #2  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

So ironic that you post this today, because I'm really noticing this myself, especially today now that I've let go of a bunch of water weight! Mine is definitely related to my cycle (although I haven't tracked it enough to know exactly how yet) and it really does bug me when I get on the scale, even though I too know that it's cycle and when the water leaves, it takes a few pounds of fat with it!

It's really nice to know that I'm not alone in this and my body isn't totally nutso!
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Yep, I have a very similar pattern - not exactly what you describe but qualitatively similar.

I like to weigh every day so I can see the patterns develop and learn to live with them. Some people complain about those phantom gains, and weigh only once a week so they don't have to see them. If I do that, I worry that I'd have bad luck and weigh on the gain day! Also, I can tell from how my body feels in the morning whether my weight will be up or not. I can feel when I am bloated or retaining fluid. So it doesn't really shock me to see the gains when they come, and I know they will recede again in time, because I know my patterns.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

That's pretty common! I have a bit of that as well, I tend to lose a lot of weight in a very short period of time then plateau for a while.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Me too! I just noticed it yesterday that it's a trending line down overall but it's filled with mountains and valleys.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Me too! I just noticed it yesterday that it's a trending line down overall but it's filled with mountains and valleys.
This! (plus mesas. Lots of mesas.)

Absolutely. I lose a huge amount in a week or two and then stay steady for 2-3 weeks. It's annoying while I'm steady, but awesome while I'm whooshing!
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

After the initial weight loss whoosh where I lost 1.5-2lbs every single week for the first month or so, I definitely lost in a downward sawtooth pattern and it was definitely related to my cycle. It is frustrating to see a rise in the scale number, but take comfort in the fact that your "real" weight of fat, muscle, and bones is still decreasing steadily all month as you lose fat (assuming you're on plan). The weight that the scale shows is often a false weight because of water fluctuations. Sugar and sodium intake and hormonal cycles can cause significant water retention.

Even now that I've been maintaining for several months, I still graph my weight, and it's a predictable series of ups and downs within my maintenance range.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Even after just over a month my weight loss graph looks like the stock market bouncing around. I'll lose for a few days in a row. Then I'll gain a couple of pounds. Then lose a pound. Then gain a half pound. Then suddenly I'll lose like 2 or 3 pounds in a day or two and the cycle will start all over again.

Now that I've seen the pattern I know that it will pass but it still drives me crazy!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #9  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

This has been my weight loss pattern all along, and it is totally related to my cycle. The whooshes have slowed down and got smaller, ever since I hit the normal BMI range, and instead of losing 5-7 pounds net a month, now I'm lucky to get 1-2, but they still come off in exactly the same pattern.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote