Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/246/130

Height: 5'2

Default Everyday, face-stuffing problem.

Hi Ladies!

So every morning before I go to work I pack breakfast and lunch, and a few snacks to have during the day. My breakfast is usually high protein, low fat, and low calorie. My lunch is usually higher in fiber and protein. I feel like I am doing EVERYTHING right incorporating the right types of nutrition into my snacks and meals each day. I definitely drink a lot of water and iced green tea as well.

I also plan dinners each night. I cook for my boyfriend and myself and we also keep our dinners pretty healthy...protein, a starch..always have a veggie or a salad. Nothing is ever prepared with oil or butter or salt. Like I said, I feel like I am doing everything right.

This is my problem: between the time that I get off work (5PM) and that it is time for dinner after the boyfriend gets home (On average around 8PM) I find myself stuffing my face with anything in sight. I have pretty strong will-power not to eat junk (there is some snack and junk food in the house, my boyfriend doesn't struggle with weight issues at all...curse him!) but I just can't seem to help it. Anything..chips, cheese...whatever I can find! How do I get myself to STOP doing this? It ruins the whole concept of my healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks that I focused so hard on throughout the day!! I know that one possible option is to eat dinner right when I get home instead of snacking..but I need other options, we eat dinner together every night and I am just not willing to give up that time together where we sit down and eat together every evening.

Please let me know if there are any suggestions! Thanks girls
addictedtoretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #2  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

So, this isn't necessarily the most inspired of replies (sorry)...but you could try brushing your teeth as soon as you get home (tends to decrease desire to eat, at least for me), or chow down on gum - gum is a life saver to me as I try to change my eating habits. Also, you may want to make sure that you have something specific to do during that time block, and don't leave work until you know exactly what it is. I tend to suffer most from the urge to eat everything in sight when I'm bored or procrastinating...
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/246/130

Height: 5'2

The teeth brushing is an EXCELLENT idea! I have NEVER thought to do that, but it makes total sense..I never want to taste anything right after brushing my teeth.

It sometimes does make me feel bad that I have to do psychological things such as that to control myself. I think that it should be easier to just say no.

Thank you so much!!!
addictedtoretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Seconding the teeth brushing! I suggest drinking a ton of water to hit your daily limit before you brush, as drinking water right after brushing is absolutely foul.

Also, on the topic of psychological control mechanisms - whatever works! I don't allow myself to take a shower or bath unless I've just exercised, which sounds really bizarre but does it for me.

Last edited by krampus; 10-20-2010 at 10:49 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #5  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Ok I am wondering are you hungry because the last snack you have is mid afternoon? and you're not eating dinner till 8pm?anyway to schedule something filling at around 5pm or as soon as you get home?
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

My husband and I tend to eat later as well - around 8 pm is quite normal for us - and I am often hungry when I get home from work so I always accept that I'm going to have an "after work" snack and I make sure there are healthy snacks available for me to grab when I get home.

That will help take the edge off of any hunger you're feeling and then I second (or is it third or fourth) the toothbrushing.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

If waiting to eat with your boyfriend, is making you too hungry, eat as soon as the meal is cooked, but save some room/calories/WW points or whatever, to have a salad or a light veggie soup, or a small baked potato covered in veggies, or a sweet potato, or a bowl of cereal, or anything you can work into your plan, so you can sit down and enjoy the evening meal together.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'd plan a light snack for when you get home. A low fat yogurt, try it partially frozen, with 1/4 cup of Fiber One Cereal in there. A big egg white veggie omlette. A bowl of homemade veggie soup. A sliced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it. A mug of hot tea or 20 calorie hot chocolate. Also keep yourself busy at this time. Straighten up the house, do some laundry, etc.

The key here is to plan everything that goes into your mouth. All meals, all snacks and no where on that list will be *those other* foods. Make that plan. Stick to it like glue. Become determined to do so.

As far as your boyfriends snacks, I'd ask him to keep them out of the house for now. If he wants some garbage, and that's what it is, there's nothing of value in there, even for a skinny person, they too need nutrition, let him buy single serving things or let him eat that kind of stuff out of the house. If he refuses, put that stuff in a separate cabinet - declare it HIS cabinet. It's 10000 percent off limits to you. Put a lock on it if need be.

Also, do you count calories? Do you adhere to a calorie budget? That will keep your overeating in check. You've got this budget that you must stick with and eating like that will surely make you burst that budget. Stick to your plan.

Also, a great tool - it doesn't go in your mouth till it's written down on paper first. But you must 100% commit to this, or the tool won't be effective. It doesn't go in your mouth till it's written down first. NO exceptions.

I think you've just gotten into this habit and you will have to DECIDE to break that habit. There will be some uncomfortable moments as you are so used to doing things that way. So please, set yourself up for success and use the above methods and break this habit. You CAN do it. You get to choose what goes in your mouth and what doesn't. Push past the uncomfortable moments. Rid yourself of this habit. Incorporate new and good ones. Free yourself of the unhealthy ways and free yourself of the excess weight. Push yourself. Master something new. Amaze yourself!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

I do the same darn thing = eat good all day and then kill it. I do it in front of the tv when hubby has gone to bed. I'm not even hungry! I ate anything that was not nailed down yesterday so I am thinking I should step on the scale but I am afraid I will be over 270!!!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

WHY do you do this when you get home? Do you even know why? Are you hungry? Are you looking to "unwind" after a day at work? The "why" might help you know how to plan for this time of day.

If you are hungry - there are a lot of wonderful suggestions above.

If you are looking to unwind - try sitting with a hot cup of tea to relax. Listen to some music. Read a magazine.

Do you exercise at all? This might be an opportunity for that.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnela View Post
I do the same darn thing = eat good all day and then kill it. I do it in front of the tv when hubby has gone to bed. I'm not even hungry! I ate anything that was not nailed down yesterday so I am thinking I should step on the scale but I am afraid I will be over 270!!!
270.2 loser - and not in a good way
Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I agree with Robin that a planned snack would help you. I would be hungry if I had to wait until 8:00 for dinner. She gave you some great ideas of various snacks.

One reason that I am being successful after failing so many times, is because I am working with my weaknesses. If I expected to go from 5 to 8 without eating, I know that I would end up grabbing something to eat, probably something high in calories but low in nutrition. Plan something healthy to eat in that time frame. Make your plan work for you, customize it as much as needed.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #13  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I would recommend one more afternoon snack as well, but BEFORE you leave work so you break the habit of even heading for the kitchen when you get home.

Then use that 5-8 time for errand running and exercise. If you belong to a gym, stop there on the way home. If not, walk around your neighborhood before you even walk in the door.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #14  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem, or at least I used too. I get off work at 3:30 and DH doesnt until 6 or 6:30, so he's not home till 7ish.

When I get home, I have a yogurt or an apple. Then I work out. No ifs or buts! Then I make dinner. I've filled the whole time and have not sat down to have a 'big' snack, like I used too.

It has helped LOADS. Totally. I find distracting myself is a great thing, lol.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #15  

Heres another one - how do you stop stuffing your face at work? Does anyone else have to deal with that? I have a private office and I can pretty much do whatever I want in here and nobody will see me. I can eat and eat and eat and not have the stares of others to shame me out of it. I will make repeated trips to the fridge though....and if I bring in snacks and keep them in my desk I end up eating them or if I put them in the break room I will still eat them. What it is, is not bringing or not nringing snacks - its how do I stop wanting to mindlessly stuff my face when I am not hungry?