Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default Feel like emotional eating cause I am going crazy

Don't get me wrong, I love my baby, but I am going NUTS today. All I want to do is just go eat a huge thing of greasy nasty Chinese food, and I don't know why.

He has severe colic and after 2 hours of crying before bed last night, waking 6 times to feed during the night, and 2 hours of screaming for his morning nap (only sleeping 20 min instead of 2 hours like he normally would), I just feel like I "deserve" a treat.

Now, even though I am completely bagged and exhausted, I'm going to need to go for a 5k run minimum with the jogging stroller because it's the only way he'll sleep. And I'm so tired, I don't want to do it, but it's my only option.

So how on earth do I "wind down" from the stress when I cannot escape it!?!?!?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #2  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

The biological response to stress actually makes women crave carbs, no kidding! Knowing this helped me feel like I wasnt broken, and then create a strategy.

First, eat some protein. Even if you arent hungry, if you havent eaten 3.5oz of lean protein in the last 2 hours, do so. It will seriously curb your craving for carbs AND give you the energy to go run.

And running will help decrease your stress. Our bodies basically interpret any stress, even passive or chronic stress with the need for a fight or flight response. Running is flight, it helps to eliminate the stress hormones from your body.

You may not be able to find any peace and quiet, but if you try those 2 things it should at least help a little tiny bit with stress reduction.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

AND, in addition to what xty said...who would want to take a screaming baby into a chinese restaurant. NO WAY!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Squeezing running into my schedule is just about the best thing I have done as a mom. Stress relief, peace and quiet, etc.

I gained a bunch of weight after my son was born... all I wanted to eat/make for dinner was mac 'n' cheese. I would make two boxes and my hubby and I would split it all. We did that multiple times a week. Not very healthy.

The more I push myself to keep eating my veggies, eat lean protein, get some exercise - the better I feel. I feel better physically, emotionally, mentally... and then I am better able to handle the screaming tantrums as I take my toddler out of the tub and attempt to a.) not drop him and b.) dry him off. And I am better able to handle his SCREAMING as I put him in his crib for bed (he stops within 30 seconds of my leaving the room, but still... it is heartbreaking to see that look on his face as he says "up!" "up!")
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You can't control the crying, right now.

You can't control the colic (and boy, do I feel you).

You CAN control what you eat!

So why give up those controllable elements in your life, especially if you know you'll feel good eventually for taking that control.

Hang in there!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #6  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

What a good point, Mandalinn!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I feel for you Sacha. I remember how hard it was particularly with my first child.

OT, but I went back through old posts to see when your son was born -- he's coming up on 4 months, so the colic should resolve very soon. I believe it is usually done by 4 months. If it doesn't resolve, you may want to consider his diet (or, if you're breastfeeding, your diet). Maybe you've already done this, so I'm sorry if I'm offering advice you've heard a million times, but if you're BF'ing, dairy or another irritant in your diet could cause that sort of misery. Up 6 times to feed at that age seems unusual. Of course, every baby and mom has nights like those.

Yes, a run might feel good, but a walk might feel good as well. You've been pretty active at this weight-loss thing it seems since very soon after giving birth. Please be sure you are getting enough rest and you are taking care of yourself. Easier said than done, believe me, I know... but things like PPD are associated with lack of rest. You need to take care of yourself first so you can take care of your baby. I am thinking of you...

Please feel free to PM me if you want to vent about babies, exhaustion, etc...
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone and (yes Amy he is 4 months next Tuesday), we're just getting very frustrated because he is regressing in his colic behaviour which stopped about 2 weeks ago. My husband is still on paternal leave so I do have the chance to eat well and work out if I choose to.

So you guys are right about the choices, I did still want a "treat" to myself so after my 5k-ish jog, I got some guiltless gourmet blue corn nachos, fresh avocado and fresh salsa As my breakfast/lunch because of course it was noon before I even ate!!

And yes amy... dairy makes him quite sick! Among a lot of things, LOL! He has reflux, colic, broken collarbone that didn't heal well, ugh. And to think I had the healthiest pregnancy the doctor had ever seen. Just goes to show you that you can't predict...
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

ooooohhh no fun *hugs* good luck
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
The biological response to stress actually makes women crave carbs, no kidding! Knowing this helped me feel like I wasnt broken, and then create a strategy.
I didn't know that, that is good to know!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I love what Amanda had to say.

I don't have kids so I can not relate but here's a big for you from me.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #12  
No description available.

Ah, I remember that well. I remember days when the only thing I could do with a crying baby was to sit down and hold him and cry right along with him.

He's 15 now. So now there are other issues.

It's good to do the jogging stroller thing, but also good to put him into your DH's arms and walk away and go to a library or a bookstore or a flower shop and take 30 minutes just for yourself.

Hang in there.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #13  

Thanks everyone

It seems to be teething. I gave him oragel earlier today and the fuss stopped instantly. Gave him some tylenol before bed and a wee bit of oragel again, he was able to sleep without screaming down the house.

We're doing better now And I didn't eat Chinese. I had a bit of steak and a baked potato with lite sour crime and some low-fat bacon bits. Deeelish and I won't be in pain tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the support!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

What meds is he on for the reflux? Have they checked the dosage lately? My daughter had to have her reflux meds adjusted around that age because she had outgrown the dosage too much and they weren't effective anymore.

I SOOOOOOOOOO empathize with the colicky baby - both of my kids were colicky/refluxy and it is SO SO SO SO SO hard at that age. Its the HEIGHT of the reflux/colic and it just feels like every day sucks the ever loving LIFE out of you.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #15  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitkristi View Post
What meds is he on for the reflux? Have they checked the dosage lately? My daughter had to have her reflux meds adjusted around that age because she had outgrown the dosage too much and they weren't effective anymore.

I SOOOOOOOOOO empathize with the colicky baby - both of my kids were colicky/refluxy and it is SO SO SO SO SO hard at that age. Its the HEIGHT of the reflux/colic and it just feels like every day sucks the ever loving LIFE out of you.
None because the doctors here refuse to prescribe it unless he is losing weight! We've been to at least 6 doctors and 2 hospitals, even with confirmed diagnosis

Sorry you've been there too It's sooo hard