Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

Default What is up with the weight flucutations??

I just don't get it I weighed myself yesterday morning. It was 155 then right before bed I weighed again at 159 what gives with the fluctuations?

Anyone know what is going on here? I am pretty sure I am not leaning or anyting on the scale.. I dunno
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #2  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

You will weigh more at night because of the food and drinks you've consumed throughout the day. That's why they always say to make sure to weigh at the same time every day.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The volume of the food and drink that you've consumed sits in your stomach until it's fully digested. Some people see as much as an 8 lb uppage over the course of the day, just to see it come back down in the morning.

There really is no point to weigh in the AM and then again in the PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I always weigh 3 lbs more at night than I do first thing in the morning. Your body needs time to process everything you put into it throughout the day .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Never, I repeat never weigh yourself in the am and then again in the pm. Like all the previous posters said it's food, liquids, etc. Pick a time of day to weigh (preferrable first thing before any food or water) and stick to it. Whether you weigh every day, once a week, once a month, that's up to you. If you weight every day, know that that will fluctuate to and don't get discourage, it's completely normal.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Ok I guess I am a compulsive weigher.. lol.. NOW I know to weigh in the morning Thanks guys! I like the number in the morning better

One other thing.. how much is it ok to change day to day 5 pounds or so for water and whatnot? That is what I have been told
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm a compulsive weigher too. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're sane about it. I gave myself permission to weigh daily which turned into giving myself permission to weigh whenever I want! But my morning weight is what I record and focus on. The rest is for amusement.

I always weigh between 1.5 and 3 pounds more in the evening. Many women report weights of 4+ pounds in the evening.

Daily variations are quite expected too! It's the trend you're after, not the day to figures. And I wish people said you should lose 4-8 pounds per month rather than 1-2 a week. It's the same thing, but rare are those whole lose 1-2 pounds every single week. Many women lose big for two weeks and then stall for two weeks.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Tiefling View Post
Ok I guess I am a compulsive weigher.. lol.. NOW I know to weigh in the morning Thanks guys! I like the number in the morning better

One other thing.. how much is it ok to change day to day 5 pounds or so for water and whatnot? That is what I have been told
It depends on what did you eat.... my morning weight is usually 129-128 , and last week I went to bed whit a 137 pounds on the scale.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

everything you eat, and drink adds more pounds on you. I went to bed and I weighed myself at i was at 207, went to bed, got up a half and hour later to use the potty weighed myself again, (just to see) and I was already down to 206

and then in the morning i weighed in at 204.
I usually weigh myself in the morning after i went to the restroom, naked. I read somewhere its your truest weigh

Last edited by Mickeypnd; 10-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Daily variations are quite expected too! It's the trend you're after, not the day to figures. And I wish people said you should lose 4-8 pounds per month rather than 1-2 a week. It's the same thing, but rare are those whole lose 1-2 pounds every single week. Many women lose big for two weeks and then stall for two weeks.
This, a thousand times this. Even if (maybe especially if!) you are weighing every day, it's so helpful to take a longer-term view. Weighing every day helps you learn your patterns but the losses only work themselves out in a measurable way over several or many weeks.

My own pattern is to have a whoosh of 2-4 pounds followed by a bounceback of a pound or so, followed by daily fluctuations of as much as three pounds for 3 weeks before the next whoosh. It averages out to about 5 pounds loss per month, but I have to tell you I would never see that if I focused on day-to-day or even week-to-week changes. The real loss is quite small and readily masked in the daily fluctuations! Nothing I can do about it - it's a body, not a precision engine.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm also an obsessive weigher. For me it's fun and I like to pick out trends (yep, I'm a scientist in real life... go figure!).

Anyways, here's what I've noticed. During my period I either mantain or gain weight with a night loss at the end of it. Also it looks like when I ovulate I gain a bit for a day or two. If I have a big meal the night before (especially with something heavy like beef) of if I eat dinner later at night then I can expect to see a higher number the next day but a day afterwards it drops back (ditto if I ate something salty).

I'm still nursing too, which mean the actual best time for me is first thing in the morning but AFTER DD has nursed. However, she doesn't always nurse so sometimes I get higher weights because of that.

Oh, and if I weigh myself after exercising than I can be 1-2lbs lighter just due to losing water weight.

It's all fun and I don't let it stress me out. I normally don't update my ticker unless I see the same weight for a couple of days in a row just to avoid fluctuations (also I don't change it when I have my period or am ovulating).

I also pretty much never weigh myself at night because I drink A LOT of water and that number is normally really scary!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote