Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 08:57 AM   #1  
Body-for-Lifer

Default Is this a good product?

Hi all, I'm 15, i'm 5'7", and 190 lbs. I'm pretty overweight and want to do something about it! I tried regular diets, they're not for me. I'm willing to exercise, but I have no idea what to eat. Therefore I spent hours searching the net for a weight loss pill/plan that would work for me. I found this link: http://www.1dietproduct.com/se-002.html

Could anyone tell me if this would work for me? I'm uneducated on this subject and would appreciate any help Thanks!
Old 10-20-2002, 11:18 AM   #2  
a work in progress...

Hi Derek...

Okay, you asked for an opinion, so here's mine...it may not be the one that you want to hear, but here it is anyway. Please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT rely on some pill to be your magic bullet to weight loss. Instead, try to concentrate on eating well and regular exercise. The habits that you form now will last a long time. You don't have to deprive yourself, just eat sensibly. Try to cut out soda, candy, cookies, you know, sugary stuff. Try to get more veggies and fruit into your diet. Eat some form of lean protein at each meal. Check out a good website like Prevention.com, or Shape.com to give you an idea of nutrition information, foods to eat, meal plans, exercise plans, etc. This site has lots of great info too!

Start now to develop good eating/exercise habits, don't wait til you're in your 40s, like me, to undo a lifetime of damage to your body/metabolism, looking for "the easy way."

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #3  
Body-for-Lifer

I kinda figured pills wouldnt be the best alternative. Anyway, I can't eat vegetables due to a medical condition, fruits are OK though. I have cut out pop and other sugary treats out of my regime but I still don't seem to be losing any because I don't know what else to eat besides Vegetables
Old 10-21-2002, 08:25 AM   #4  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Derek - for breakfast try oatmeal/raisin bran/shredded wheat with fruit - skim milk and no sugar. Or *whole* wheat or multi-grain toast - sugar free jelly or jam instead of margarine.

Whole grains are full of fiber and fill you up. Some of it even passes thru you - no calories!

Small portions of lean meat and whole wheat bread for lunch - not white - and watch the spreads - find a ff dressing you like.

Brown rice - fills you up - fiber again - and have a small portion of lean meat - no bigger than the palm of your hand.

Eat a ton of fruit - even time you get hungry. Apples are super good right now. Try different kinds - citrus fruits are coming in fresh now, too. try clementine tangerines - the sweetest thing you've ever tasted - easy to peel, no seeds! Heavenly!

Limit your calories - maybe 1500 a day and keep your fat grams low for a while - under 30g a day. I do 16g a day and it's working for me. I'm never hungry munching fruit all day between meals.

Say you eat 400 calories for three meals - that leaves you another 300 for a snack! Pick something you like - but a healthy treat. Maybe an Italian Ice for 110! No fat in that!
Old 10-21-2002, 08:28 AM   #5  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Oh, Derek - and if you don't know what to eat or the calorie counts and fat grams in foods you already chow down on - try a site like caloriefreak.com or myfreediet.com and start learning.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:55 PM   #6  
Body-for-Lifer

Thanks for the tips. Could you give me any product names that you know are good, that I could try for Breakfast/Lunch, etc.?

Also, ill check that caloriefreak site out
Old 10-23-2002, 04:31 PM   #7  

One thing that was left out....EXERCISE. Even if it is just walking. Also working out with light weights is very good. I used to go to www.joycevedral.com. They have forums if you have questions and you can buy her workout books at most book stores. Exercise will help you burn extra calories. People say a pound of muscle weighs more than fat and are worried they will look bigger because of building muscle but a pound is a pound. Fat is bigger than muscle. You burn the fat and become more compact. Plus more muscle helps you burn fat faster. I hope I said that right and it makes sence. Now I just need to take my own advice.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:40 PM   #8  
Body-for-Lifer

I had to bump up this thread because when I was searching for a weight loss/exercise DVD on ebay, I found this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1778821361

It claims to be a good weight loss pill without the use of any stimulants, doesnt cause jitters or heart problems, and has tons of positive feedback of people actually losing weight safely. It even has a lifetime guarantee... I wonder if its good...
Old 10-29-2002, 12:28 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally posted by Derek
I had to bump up this thread because when I was searching for a weight loss/exercise DVD on ebay, I found this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1778821361

It claims to be a good weight loss pill without the use of any stimulants, doesnt cause jitters or heart problems, and has tons of positive feedback of people actually losing weight safely. It even has a lifetime guarantee... I wonder if its good...
No. Don't get anything like that.

IF what you really want is a "magic pill", then I suggest going to your nearest health food store & picking up some of the following supplements.

L-Carnitine, or just Carnitine is naturally found in meats, but you'd have to eat 11 pounds of beef per day to get the recommended amount. (1000 mg a day) Take these on an empty stomach.

CLA is Conjugated Linoleic Acid, which is naturally found in whole milk. You'd have to drink too much milk to see results, as it's actually found in the fat in the milk, defeating your purpose for weight loss. I heard you can take up to 3000 mg per day, but I'd recommend 1,000 to start out.

I've taken both of these supplements. They are EXPENSIVE. They are not magic. But they do help some. However...

Starkeepr is right about exercise. Challenge yourself to 30 min EVERY day, whether it's walking, riding your bike, jumping rope, working out w/a tape or DVD, etc.

Here is the link for a workout you might enjoy.

Also, if you are 15, then you're still in high school? You should have access to the weight room then--take advantage of it!!!

For every time you want a soda, grab a water instead. Don't drink your calories.

Forgot to mention muscle weighs more than fat--it should not be about a number on a scale so much as how your clothes are fitting & how you are feeling. Good luck!!
Old 10-29-2002, 01:04 PM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally posted by Derek
Thanks for the tips. Could you give me any product names that you know are good, that I could try for Breakfast/Lunch, etc.?

Also, ill check that caloriefreak site out
I can't say enough about Morningstar Farms Meatless products.

They have Breakfast patties, which I live on, and facon (fake bacon)--I like to have an FLT (facon, lettuce, tomato). They also have "burgers" and "chicken" wings.

Also, a hardboiled egg is a perfect food--prepared w/no fat, it may have 6 gm of fat, but 5 of them are the good-for-you kind. Eggs have nutrients you can't get in other foods.

Also don't leave out your lowfat dairy.
Closed Thread