Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Halp! I'm Losing Motivation SO FAST!!

The couch is so comfortable. I don't WANT to go to the gym. I'm kind of tired. I'm kind of hungry. I'd rather read my book. I'm SURE I could find something I should be cleaning instead of going to the gym......

I don't know why this happens to me, I do SO WELL for a while, then suddenly just lose the drive to go back to the gym and I don't know why. I'm sitting here in my gym clothes, ready to go but... blah.

Of course, I am going to go. I'm going to get off my butt, go to the gym and feel satisfied that I did it instead of feeling guilty that if I didn't... I was going to the gym every.single.day - sometimes twice a day! for 1-2 hours each time for almost a month and then, BAM - I hit a wall. I wasn't able to pound out even 30 minutes on the elliptical. So I took a "day" off, that turned into a week off.

Anyone else deal with this?? Any fixes?
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Hm, if going every day or twice a day causes you to burn out, maybe you should set a less ambitious goal to start. Plan to go every other day, for example. Then if you find yourself actually in the mood to go on your in-between days you can go and it will be a bonus. And you can look at going 5 times in a week (say) as exceeding your goal, instead of falling short of it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My only fix is to make a no-excuse time of the day. My no-excuse time is 5:30 AM. It's just part of what I do. I can't imagine not going. I skipped a Saturday workout once because it is not part of my 5:30 time frame. The gym doesn't open until 8:00. Something about waiting around the house for any length of time for me is a real buzz kill.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Going to the gym every day, sometimes twice a day, for one or two hours at a time seems like a lot. I can see why you feel burned out.

Both carter and Eliana offer good suggestions and perhaps you can set a fixed time for your gym time, but scale back some so it is not such a burden and is more enjoyable. Maybe only three or four days a week, instead of every day. An alternative is to exercise at home - go out for a bike ride or walk around your neighborhood. Do some simple yoga stretches in your living room.

I hope you find something that works for you, so you can make it part of your healthy life and not just short-term weight loss. Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/172.6/145

Height: 5'6

I also agree that going everyday seems a little overkill. I go every other day, and I would get kind of burned out if I was going everyday. There are so many things to enjoy outside of the gym!

I would suggest doing something new. Take a group class or something. Spinning, Kettlebell, Zumba, Step aerobics, are all great classes that help to break up your workouts.
AlyssaMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #6  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

You have received some great advice on here today!!

IMHO, I would scale back on the going to the gym a couple times a day. I would scale it back to going to the gym every other day and doing something else on your off gym days. Like taking a walk outside, or doing some yoga. As you switch it up, your body will surprise you with it's response.

Good luck. I hope you find what works for you!! You're doing great.
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

Sometimes I feel less than motivated to go to the gym, but once I get there I'm pumped.......One thing that really helped me when I started out was doing group classes. I did Step Aerobics, Zumba, Kickboxing (which I still do regularly), Bootcamp, and spinning. This helped to break up the monotony and it gave me something to look forward to because these classes were actually fun.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote