Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default I said NO - was it appropriate or extreme?

Today after a big job interview my project team decided to grab lunch before going back to the office. It was a last minute thing that I wasn't prepared for. They decided on In and Out (it's a fast food joint in CA). Like I said, I wasn't prepared, I hardly ever eat fast food anymore and I didn't want to go off plan. So I just said you guys go ahead I have lunch back at the office and sat and chatted with everyone while they ate. They didn't give me too much flack for my decision, but it still felt a little extreme. The thing about this place is there is basically 4 menu items - Burgers, Fries, Shakes and Sodas. So it's not like I could have even made a healthy choice if I had wanted to. I think they do have a veggie burger now, but fast food veggie burger - gross...Anyway, I'm happy with my decision and I'm eating my preplanned lunch now, but I still feel kinda weird about the whole thing.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #2  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

I think you did great!! I imagine it wasn't necessarily easy to do, but I think the fact that you went with and were social while sticking to what's healthy for you was fantastic. Brava!!
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think you should always do what feels right to you. At the same time, a burger without cheese or sauce (ketchup is ok) is only about 310 calories....just so you know for the future. You're doing great and your actions should be admired.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

That is awesome! Good for you. Why put crap in your body just because everyone else was? I mean if it was something you really wanted, that might be different, but I never go to McD's/Burger King type places - Blech! Doesn't sound like anyone else really gave it much thought. I think, in general, most people are too busy thinking about themselves to really worry about others. KWIM?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not extreme at all - your reasons aren't anyone else's business - you might not have been hungry, you preferred your packed lunch, fasting for a medical test - anything at all- not uncommon for someone to do that.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #6  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

You did GREAT!!!! Be really proud of yourself!!!! I am in California and have been to In and Out. IMHO, it's not worth the calories.

You would have really regreted it if you had eaten there. Besides, everyone knows the importance of eating right. The people you work with probably wish they hadn't gone.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Last edited by doingmybest; 08-26-2010 at 05:44 PM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #7  
God Will Guide Me!

S/C/G: 272.8/ticker/234

Height: 5'7''

WAY TO GO!!!! That shows strong will power!!!!
jackiemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

It's fine, pick and choose your battles.

Had it been your elderly pensioner grandmother who wanted to take you out with her small allowance, then I'd say go for it.

But coworkers? Nah
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #9  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Not extreme at all, I do that all the time, and always come up with a good excuse for not eating that deflects any comments. Works fine for me.

Good job resisting junky fast food!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Extreme? You don't eat garbage. That food doesn't fit in with your particular lifestyle. And there's not need to make exceptions to *please* others.

Would it be extreme of you not to partake if you stickily adhered to a kosher diet? I don't think so. Same difference.

You're happy with your decision. Do you think you would have felt that way HAD you decided to eat that for lunch. I don't think so. Nuf' said.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Not inappropriate, not extreme. Why eat food not on your plan just because everyone else is?

I found myself in a similar situation about a month ago and was not as disciplined. I had driven to a meeting with clients, and the meeting ended just before noon. They asked me if I wanted to grab lunch with them and I said sure. The director had another meeting right after lunch, so it had to be something quick. They selected El Taco, a fast food place. I made the best choices I could, but it was really not very good or very filling. Driving back to my office, I was hungry and thankful that I packed a few snacks to get me through the afternoon.

I have made room in my life for occasional splurges, but that meal was so not worth it. Since then, I have been saving splurges for really good food.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

We have an In-N-Out Burger here. (It's not just for California anymore. ) I have never been and never intend to go. Their menu frightens me—as do the lines around the block to eat there. Seriously? What is up with that? It's just fast food.

Anyway, I would have done what you did. I see nothing wrong with it. When the menu is that unhealthy, I choose not to eat any of the selections. I have done this when out with friends or coworkers.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-26-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I do that all the time. As long are you don't whine or complain about how much you wish you could eat, or told everyone how many calories in their food (which I am sure you didn't do), it's no problem at all
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I do that all the time. As long are you don't whine or complain about how much you wish you could eat, or told everyone how many calories in their food (which I am sure you didn't do), it's no problem at all
I do this exactly especially, the no editorializing part.

I have found almost nobody really cares about what I eat, I just think they do for a variety of reasons. Even if it is homemade.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think it's awesome that you had the willpower and stuck to your guns! That food isn't nutritious and you would have felt GROSS later, and now you don't have to worry! Good for you!
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote