Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Salt and Scale Deception

I just thought this was interesting - how sodium can affect our WL efforts. Last week, I stayed at my calorie allotment every day, give or take a little. However, because of a hectic work schedule and poor planning on my part, I did end up eating out a couple of meals. Nothing heinous, mostly sushi, but with sushi comes soy sauce and as we all know that has a lot of sodium.

I hopped on the scale on Saturday, my usual WI day, and found that I was up a pound and a half. There was nobody to blame for it but myself, and though I knew I had not eaten the calories to justify that weight gain, I attributed it to the extra sodium I'd consumed all week.

So, on Saturday, I stayed vigilant. I drank water like it was my job, ate all three meals at home, and shied away from extra salt (as well as cutting way down on carbs - with PCOS, that can sometimes be a 'gain' causer for me as well).

Lo and behold, I hopped back up on the scale on Sunday, and was down 2 pounds. Now, there's no way I created a deficit of 2 pounds in one day, but I was *mindful* and *careful* with other parts of my diet, and the scale spoke for itself. I won't "count" the loss until next Saturday, which is my official day, but it was nice to see that I hadn't sabotaged myself so much as I had allowed myself to get a little complacent about salt and white rice.

I will certainly be remembering this the next time I don't want to drink my water, or a friend's french fry looks too good to pass up!
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yeah, one of my girlfriends has NOT cut salt out of her diet, so she rarely sees the fluctuations I do. She's always carrying around water weight. I eliminated salt because I had high BP at the start of my journey. I figured it was a good time to tackle both.

Last night I had ONE slice of pizza for dinner and this morning saw a one pound "gain". My body just isn't used to salt anymore.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Sodium can be a huge thing when it comes to the scale. I'm pretty sure it's to blame for a high day I had last week. I'm under my cut off of sodium 99% of the time and it sure shows when I go over!

Last edited by Laureedee; 08-30-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote