Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Cheat Days? Do you do it?

So, I have been sticking with my diet very firmly. Calories between 1200-1500, everyday. Lots of water, no soda. Going to the gym everyday or every other day depending on how sore I am and how hot it is outside (my gym is not air conditioned).

Today, I am craving a small bag of lays potato chips and some taco bell in the WORST way. I dont really feel like working out today because I have to work 12 hours overnight and havent been able to sleep all day. I've been up since 7am and will not be home from work until 8am tomorrow. 25 hours awake is going to be miserable and I simply do not want to go to the gym and expend more energy!

Does anyone allow themselves cheater days? Where you say "you know what, i CAN go to the gym, but I dont WANT to. I COULD eat some fruit and yogurt, but I WANT chips and a taco!"

Part of me looks in the mirror and thinks "You cant have any of those lovely things because you look like you do now!! Maybe when you are thin, you can allow a taco here and there or chips here and there! Maybe when you are thin you can permit yourself a day away from the gym - but not when you look like this!" ... which is just a depressing way to look at it. I feel like maybe I am punishing myself for my obesity, maybe that is a valid thing, maybe it is not, I do not know.

Does anyone else struggle with this? What do you do? I want to be careful not to fall into the pit that made me fat in the first place, but it is so dismal to want a day off so badly and feel like a slob at the same time...

Last edited by GonnaTurnHeads; 08-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

No, I don't do cheat days or cheat meals.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #3  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Cheat days keep me sane.

I think my body deserves a treat or snack
every once in a while.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/180

Before when I lost weight, I told myself I had to completely abstain from treats and indulging myself. Well, the inevitable would happen - I would cheat and then feel horribly guilty about it. So, this time I have tried something different (and have noticed that I am much better at staying on track!):
I allow myself "cheat" days - once a week, I'm allowed to break a few of the rules and enjoy some treats (in moderation, obviously!) I'm not hitting up the all-you-can-eat buffet or anything, but I allow myself some pasta, ice cream and / or popcorn, etc. Usually, I keep myself to 1000 - 1200 calories a day, but on my cheat day, I don't worry too much, as long as I'm not going 2500+ calories in that one day. I find this works best for me because it gives me a chance to 'indulge', while still staying on track. And, whenever I feel tempted throughout the week to cheat, I tell myself "that would be a great yummy thing to enjoy on Saturday (my cheat day) - I'll save it for then". Having a cheat day also allows me my treats without the follow-up guilt. I worked hard all week, and I'm allowing myself a break. Strangely though, I am finding that as the weeks go by, I feel the need to 'indulge' myself less and less (ie) instead of eating a big helping of pasta on my cheat day, my appetite and craving is appeased by a smaller portion.
Long story short, I say - go for it - PROVIDED of course that you only allow yourself this one indulgence, and then the next day get back on track. Your weight loss is not going to be horribly affected by you eating one taco, provided you get back in the game the next day.
ps - congrats on losing 24 pounds so far - that's awesome!
office girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #5  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

The trick to "cheat days" is to avoid back sliding into bad behaviors, and I think sometimes cheat days only prolong your "withdrawal" from junk food.

I also think this is a "your mileage may vary" issue. Some people have no physical (or philosophical) issues with "cheat days", and to others cheat days are an anathema and totally counter-productive. You may need to experiment and discover for yourself what works for you.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I think my body deserves a treat or snack
every once in a while.
100% - but what I did was switch my way of thinking. Because what my body deserves the MOST is to be thin, fit, trim, active, confident, sexy, productive and healthy. So I had to change what I thought of as a treat.

Snacks are a BIG part of my plan - they taste delicious and keep me going and not hungry till my next meal - they just happen to be lower calorie and perfectly on plan and good for me.

During the time I was losing, cheat days/meals were not an option for me. Once I made the decision to lose the weight - I wanted it off and wasn't taking any chances. Besides, I had cheated more than enough in the past. I cheated my way up to super morbid obesity and I cheated myself of years and years of self confidence, self respect, self worth, energy, stamina, optimal health, femininity and a fantastic wardrobe.

Quote:
I feel like maybe I am punishing myself for my obesity
To remain obese is the punishment, not to feed and care for yourself day after day. It's no punishment to adhere to a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
I COULD eat some fruit and yogurt, but I WANT chips and a taco!"
It's okay to tell yourself no! Sometimes we've just got to dig down deep and find the mature, responsible adult in ourselves and be a grown up.

You're working 12 hours overnight, even though you probably WANT not to. Because you're a good worker and dedicated and know that it's the mature thing to do. Your food has to be thought of in the same way. As for going to the gym, if I was going to be up 25 hours straight - I'd take a pass. And by the way, I'm not sure how eating chips and tacos would help with that either. Sounds like you could really benefit from some good nutrition.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I also think this is a "your mileage may vary" issue. Some people have no physical (or philosophical) issues with "cheat days", and to others cheat days are an anathema and totally counter-productive. You may need to experiment and discover for yourself what works for you.
This times 10

Some people can do cheat days with no issues. For others, they stall weight loss, they result in a loss of self-control and subsequent overeating, they trigger cravings, etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I think the key to cheat days is to have PLANNED cheat days. Not emotional - trying to find a way to justify going off plan type cheat days. KWIM?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Man, if you're gonna cheat, make it something worthwhile. Not some crappy junk/fast food full of toxins. If you really want taco's make your own taco's. They can actually be low-cal and delicious. I eat taco's about once a month...totally healthy and on-plan. Cheat on something good, like a t-bone steak and baked potato.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I never cheated and really still don't, even in maintenance. Part of killing food's hold on me was simply to acknowledge that my body doesn't need crap and that certain foods were never going to be a good idea.

While people may disagree on the cheat issue; I think it's fair to say that cheating because you are stressed or emotional or just plain tired is always going to be a bad idea. Food doesn't fix emotional issues; much better to deal with why you feel the way you do and keep food out of it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #11  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

No, I don't cheat. It really, really matters to me that I don't, and not cheating has not made giving up altogether inevitable in the 13 weeks and 3 days I've been doing this.

I think there's a massive difference between planning to have a treat, if that is what you want, and succumbing to a craving. For me, it's about being grown-up, responsible and in control. And about doing what it takes: even being 100% on plan, my weightloss is steady, rather than speedy ~ I started this programme because I was frightened I'd die if I didn't, so I choose not to put anything in the way of achieving goalweight before I succumb.

We all choose our choices to make things work the best way we can.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also draw a line between "cheat" and "treat".

A cheat is something not consciously planned, the sort of thing that results from getting to a restaurant and being too hungry so you dive into the breadbasket. Or not packing food for your business trip so you end up eating far too much at the crummy hotel breakfast buffet because you didn't plan yourself some other options. Or craving a cupcake when you see the supermarket tray a coworker brought in, and eating one even though its not very good/your favorite flavor. The food, for a cheat, at least for me, is typically not worth it.

A treat is something different. It's planning to enjoy one slice of bread with your dinner, because omigoodness, the bread is baked on-site at this restaurant by an amazing baker and you know it's delicious. It's a slice of your very favorite kind of cake that your mom bakes you every year on your birthday. It's a choice, and for me, "treats" are, when carefully chosen, worth it (and are part of my plan). It's a glass of wine, some good cheese, and some artisan bread for a date-night picnic.

I rarely "cheat". I do incorporate regular "treats".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/160

i dont really have cheat days either although i call it a cheat day. if im craving taco bell, i make my own with fresh healthy ingredients! If im craving something salty, i love pico de gallo with a few baked tortilla chips and if im craving something sweet, i love frozen blue berries in milk with a little sugar! You dont have to binge to satisfy for cravings! Fit it in to your lifestyle but just tweek it up a little! good luck!!
waiting2exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I find, for me, that if I am craving "cheat days" on a constant basis, if I am living from one cheat to the next, I need to up my calories: what is really going on is that I am starving to death and it comes out in daydreams about chocolate cake and chicken fried steak. If I start eating a little more healthy stuff each and every day, I quit craving the really bad stuff (I don't quit wanting it, but the craving goes away).
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think it's okay to tell yourself no and we need to learn how to do that. We need to learn how to aim for long term satisfaction instead of immediate gratification.

I think by cheating, folks make this process a LOT harder than need be.

By *giving in* so easily, not only do we slow things down calorie wise and therefore not losing weight wise, but more importantly, you slow down things by CONTINUING to have cravings for the *bad stuff*, but you also don't allow the good habits to form. And THAT'S what makes it so much harder, because once those cravings die down and those habits become ingrained - this lifestyle is MUCH easier to adhere to. So though it may *seem* a bit harder initially, down the road (and not all that long) it makes it much, much simpler and smoother sailing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote