Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Default keeping promises

As I make yet a new commitment to myself to live a healthier life, I thought of making and breaking promises made to myself.

As a professional, if I say I will do something or be somewhere, I do whatever it takes to fulfill my obligation.

As a wife, daughter, sister, aunt, etc …, If I say I will do something or be somewhere, I do whatever it takes to fulfill my obligation.

As a friend, if I say I will do something or be somewhere, I do whatever it takes to fulfill my obligation.

I always keep my promises to other people. I would never think of not doing something I promised to do.

So why is it so easy to break promises to myself? Why, if I say I will get up at 5am to exercise, do I argue with myself so often? If I had to get up at 5am for work or a family member or a friend, I would certainly do it. Why, if I say I am going to clean up my eating, do I become so easily tempted to eat a doughnut (which I did not, by the way, this time …)? If a family member or friend was cleaning up their eating for any reason, I would never think of tempting them with something they shouldn’t eat. I would go out of my way to help them avoid certain foods.

Aren’t I worthy of keeping my promises to myself? Of fulfilling obligations to myself? Don’t I matter as much as others?
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Just want to say, I really love this post! I think a lot of us can relate. It's something to think about the next time I'm ready to let myself down by over snacking or getting totally derailed from my plan.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #3  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

SF40, I just wanted to say that I can relate, and I feel your pain.

I am the same way. I am able to be kind and available and attentive and present and giving and reliable to everyone/thing else. I'm working on trying to figure out how to do that for myself as well.

I think it is key to good health in all ways, and one of the things that is missing, and part of the reason I sometimes get stuck.

I haven't found an answer yet, but I'm still working on it. I just wanted to say you are not alone. Hang in there.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I think for me personally it's because
I don't have as much of a consequence
breaking a promise to myself. I break a
promise to myself then I always have the
"there's always another day" attitude. But
if I break a promise to someone else then
that's something they'll always remember
me by (depending on the promise broken,
of course) I always feel a bigger obligation to
keep a promise to others than to myself.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Quote:
Aren’t I worthy of keeping my promises to myself? Of fulfilling obligations to myself? Don’t I matter as much as others?
I so love your post. Such strong points in those words. It reminds me of something I read once where how we would never think of belittling and attacking a friend or loved ones calling them ugly and horrible but we do it to ourselves everyday so easily.

I am going to save your post so everytime I want to argue with myself I can come back and remind myself I am worthy & deserving of these promises being kept!

Thanks you!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Thanks for the comments and support. I wrote this four months ago, but as I renew my efforts to be healthy, I thought it would be good to read again. I decided to post it here because I thought it could benefit others, as well. I am saving the post and your comments because they are good reminders to honor promises to myself.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/259/163

Height: 5 '9'

I battle with this everyday and see no win in sight but I hope to be there and I try to be there for myself everyday. I believe as long as I am trying then I will be there eventually, at least I hope so.
peacebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

Fantastic post. A great reminder to everyone that we're just as valuable as the people we love. Thanks.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Beautiful post. Reading this, I feel as though it should've been in the back of my mind for quite some time now. I do everything in my power to make everybody else happy. My family, my bosses, my co-workers...everybody, even if it makes me miserable. Though I've questioned this quite a few times, why can't I get out of that?

It's difficult. Nice to hear somebody else address it, though.

Thank you.
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote