Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Did you know...EVERYONE has a muffin top!

So I was doing some soul searching this weekend about whether or not I'm ready to come to terms with my new post weight loss body or continue on for a few. I was at one one of the HUGE malls in the are this weekend and was just observing all the different body types and came to the conclusion that pretty much EVERYONE these days has a muffin top of some sort or another I also realized that what I've been describing as the muffin top I want to lose really isn't a muffin top at all, but more of a slight double bump (one above and below the belly buttom) makeing it seem as though I have a muffin top even when I'm naked.

So anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just more interesting tibits on my quest to accepting my new body and thought I might share this interest exercise of going to a mall and just observing all the different body types. DO NOT compare, simply observe. I think that not comparing myself to others is an important hurdle that I need to overcome as well. Even online, not comparing my goal weight with others of my height, age, whatever.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I don't think anyone has a muffin top as the expression is generally used these days, provided they wear clothes that actually fit. I never have one, because if I put on a pair of jeans or pants in the store that gives me one, I take them off and try on a larger size or try on a completely different style. I wear clothes that flatter my body, and as is true of everyone, I think, not everything on the rack does. But I think some people put too much emphasis on the number, and thus will wear the smaller size even if it doesn't fit properly. That or they feel they look sexier when the clothes fit very tight. Or maybe getting the right size requires tailoring, and they'd rather not bother with that. Or they have gained a little weight and don't want to buy a larger size because they don't have the money or don't want to give themselves an excuse not to lose the weight.

Regardless of the reason, the muffin top is fabricated: it isn't real. It's just more and more common to see it these days because of the phenomenon of ill-fitting low-rise jeans. Nobody naked has a muffin top—including you.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-02-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yep, I think you're right. I guess part of my problem is that things that fit me in the thighs and but are too small in the waist and if they fit in the waist they're HUGE everywhere else. I guess I may have to accept I'm going to have to get stuff tailored. Part of my post thought was a passive agressive way of defending my quest to lose 5 more lbs because my problem isn't my muffin top so much which is something that is fixable by wearing proper fitting clothing, but my "double" belly bump that is just there all the time...
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Yep, I think you're right. I guess part of my problem is that things that fit me in the thighs and but are too small in the waist and if they fit in the waist they're HUGE everywhere else. I guess I may have to accept I'm going to have to get stuff tailored. Part of my post thought was a passive agressive way of defending my quest to lose 5 more lbs because my problem isn't my muffin top so much which is something that is fixable by wearing proper fitting clothing, but my "double" belly bump that is just there all the time...
Yeah, I feel you on that. I understand wanting to see the changes that last five pounds can make. And at your size, five pounds really will make a big difference. I hope you get the result that you are looking for.

You're right, though, in the sense that no one is perfect. I'm a type A personality. I know that I am always going to be critical of myself, and that includes my appearance, down to the tiniest details. I don't have to deal with loose skin or that sort of thing, but I do carry my own permanent battle scars on my body from a severe prescription drug reaction. But I am learning to let some things go all the same, learning not to obsess, and definitely learning not to compare myself to other people. Mostly I am learning to accept that I have the power to change some things and not others, and that that is OK.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #5  
There is always hope.

S/C/G: 383/250/160

Height: 5'5

I adore this post and I have to absolutely agree! Thanks for the smile and brightening my day!!
Worth the Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse View Post
Regardless of the reason, the muffin top is fabricated: it isn't real. It's just more and more common to see it these days because of the phenomenon of ill-fitting low-rise jeans. Nobody naked has a muffin top—including you.
Untrue. I have had two c-sections and I *do* have a muffin top naked.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
Untrue. I have had two c-sections and I *do* have a muffin top naked.
Sorry. I always think of that as something created by fashion—and the unfortunate expression "muffin top" is linked inextricably with low-rise apparel—but of course you are right: abdominal surgery can create a similar effect as well.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I thought a muffin top was that roll of flesh over a too-tight waist band??? Like batter that poofs up over the rim of the muffin tin.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I thought a muffin top was that roll of flesh over a too-tight waist band??? Like batter that poofs up over the rim of the muffin tin.
Me too.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #10  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
yeah. the problem is mine is a jumbo muffin, whereas smaller people have mini-muffins... lol oh to have a mini muffin top !
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Like batter that poofs up over the rim of the muffin tin.
toooooo funnnny! I love this description!
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #12  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Quote:

@ncuneo- I've created my own mini-muffin top
simply from wearing too-tight jeans around my
waist ever since I was a little kid. It's created
an indent in my skin that I absolutely hate.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I carry a good majority of my weight in my stomach, so even when I'm naked I have a "muffin top" because my hips are small. I don't really know how to explain it. I can't wear pants that sit at my hips because no matter if they fit perfectly, it will STILL look like I have a muffin top. Quite depressing, actually.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

On a more serious note ... how hard would your body have to be to not puff over something tight?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #15  

Quote:
On a more serious note ... how hard would your body have to be to not puff over something tight?
Pretty darned tight. One of my nineteen year-old daughters, a cross-country runner and of a very slender build (5'7"" and 121 pounds), sometimes has a muffin top...
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote