Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #1  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Let's try this again.

I doubt anyone remembers me, but I hung around these forums from time to time a couple years ago when I was dieting over the summer of 2008 (I went from 168 lb. and overweight to 148 lb. and healthy). I remember finding a lot of kind words and great ideas here, so I thought I would come back again with an update, and hopefully regain my determination to keep my weight down. So, here I go...

I graduated! Aaaand gained a bunch of weight back in the process. Dang. But, I don't feel all bad about it - my last month or so in college was my last chance to spend time with good friends, hit all my favorite restaurants, party, and be generally celebratory. It was a unique time. Then I took about a month off to spend time with family and move to a new place for work (read: no steady gym routine), and now I've been getting into the swing of the work routine for the past few weeks.

In short, I have unfortunately slowly put all the weight back on that I lost two years ago. This probably does not upset me as much as it should, but I guess that's a good thing because it means I've learned that my entire self-worth doesn't depend on my body mass. But, I still am not feeling super great about it, so on Monday I made the decision that it would be my first day back in the weight-loss saddle.

So far, so good. Gym on Monday and Tuesday (30 minutes of elliptical, and assorted ab/arm exercises), and I plan to go again today. I've been biking to work (about 3 miles each way) about half of my weekdays since work started, so that's good too. I'm eating healthy cereal for breakfast, and bringing a healthy sandwich and fruit for lunch, and trying my best to make healthy dinners. Trying to also drink enough water every day.

Hurdles to negotiate: eight hours in a cubicle five days a week, plus coworker(s) who like to get dessert every day and who insist that I "look fine" and I shouldn't worry about it. I appreciate the sentiment, but as I've clearly stated that I'm trying to eat better and exercise, it isn't super helpful. Also, the fact that I'm living alone, while awesome in certain respects, also tends to lead to me overeating in the evenings because nobody's there to yell at me for it.

So, I am hoping that getting back on the 3FC boards will help me get the last piece of my puzzle that I can tell is missing: the friendly support to make sure my determination doesn't die a merciless, calorie-filled death by week's end! The good news is that I'm glad to be back on the healthy eating and exercising kick - even though the scale hasn't noticed yet, I already feel better, and that's helped my motivation at least here in the beginning. Here's hoping that with your help I can keep it up!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Welcome back and good luck!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Based on your numbers, I'm sure you do look great! Take comfort in that! But I also understand that the general population has a bit of super-sized eye, so what looks normal to everyone else may well be unhealthy. I sure hope that came out right! Losing weight is ultimately about health and I think you are very wise to get a handle on this young and with relatively very little to lose. (I also know that "very little" comes off very slowly. )

So welcome back and good luck to you! I just know you'll be successful.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Girl if you did it once you can do it again! You totally got this. Just focus on keeping your kitchen filled with happy healthy foods. Don't keep those binge items around!

As far as your co-workers, just stick with your guns. You're doing this for YOU. You deserve to be healthy and fit. YOU'RE the one who has to live in your body, not them, so don't let them decide what YOU put into it!
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #5  
losing and schmoozing

Yay! Thanks a lot for the kind welcome back, everyone. It's true that I don't have a lot to lose; I'm trying to nip it in the bud, as it were. My mom lost nearly 50 pounds a couple years ago and looks phenomenal, and she's an inspiration to me. But Eliana, you are absolutely right that the little numbers are the hardest to take off! I think that's why I need to be determined - I don't have much slack if I really want to lose this weight.

Thanks for the support. I just got home from work; time to bike to the gym!

<-- me 15 minutes from now.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/150.5/138

Height: 5'8.5

I know exactly where you're coming from with the working in a cubicle all day. In my 8 hr work day I'm sitting for about 7 of the hours. I used to work in a pretty active job and I definitely took it for granted how in shape it kept me.

Also, I'm usually home alone at night because my husband works out of town 80% of the time. It's soooo easy to just sit down in front of the tv and make some popcorn or open a bag of chips. And the weight just creeps up.

But you know what it was like at 148! Don't listen to what your co-workers think. Listen to what you think. If you're comfortable and healthy at your weight then that's great. But if you're not, change it for you!
VictoriaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #7  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

welcome back! it sounds like you are off to a great start! congrats on reaching out to connect while on your journey. it really can be an important part of the puzzle. good luck!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #8  
losing and schmoozing

Victoria - Even though it was inconvenient I sometimes miss not having a car and therefore having to walk almost everywhere around campus in college. It was great to have at least 20 minutes of fast walking guaranteed every weekday. I'm trying to keep it going by biking whenever I can - I read recently (http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/why/ben...sportation.cfm) that about 40% of all trips people take from home are to destinations within two miles. Since then I've noticed that that percentage seems pretty accurate for me; it might even be higher... so I'm doing my best to jump on the bike whenever I can!

Thanks again for all the support. It really is a huge help.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #9  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back and congratulations on your graduation and entering the working world! You are already finding out about how fattening the workplace can be! You are wise to buck the norm and get your weight down to YOUR satisfaction. Good luck with your goals!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote