Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #1  
Kimberley

S/C/G: 23st 6lbs

Height: 5ft 11

Default Is anyone else like me?

I am finding it hard to eat different things to aid my weight loss and its really getting me down.
I am the kind of person that has a few select things they really like and will eat them all the time with little variety, so when on a diet i find it really hard to eat all these 'strange' foods i wouldnt normally eat.
I dont like nuts or seeds of any kind. I am allergic to lettuce and i cant eat cereals or porridge.
I love potatoes, pasta, cous cous and oranges, most meats, cucumber and the only fish i like is cod or plain white fish.

I am just so stuck on what to eat, i have begun not eating breakfast because i cant think of anything fast to eat that i like particularly because i have alot of throat troubles so anything dry is also out of the question. Then for lunch i struggle to think of things that dont have bread in them and for dinner i am usually back to the boring meat potatoes and veg dinner.

Sorry for the long post, I just wish i could find something that i would enjoy eating that would be good for me instead of always thinking yuck at every meal.
kimberleyanddarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

If you're not particularly stuck on your potatoes, couscous and pasta, you might look into paleo/primal blueprint type eating. Of course I'm partial

Seriously ... lots of folks do well just eating the family meat and veg supper. Cutting carbs by skipping the starch.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberleyanddarren View Post
I just wish i could find something that i would enjoy eating that would be good for me instead of always thinking yuck at every meal.
I think you just have to give it some time. Be creative, experiment - let your taste buds develop a liking for the healthy foods. Also don't be afraid to have non-typical breakfast foods for breakfast or any other meal. You like fish? Build on that. Instead of potatoes, why not try roasted turnips or roasted cauliflower? There are TONS of different veggies out there in the world and great ways to prepare them other that boiled or steamed.

How about soups? Chilis? Chicken stir fries?

Foods that I think I used to love and coudlnt' live without - well they are a distant memory to me. They tasted good, but the good stopped there and I was done being fat, so I was done settling for foods that merely *tasted* good, I needed them to taste good AND be good for me. But it does take time - and you have to be open minded. Hmmmm, where did I see that some place recently???????
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

My breakfast is usually greek yogurt with fresh fruit in it (and nuts but you don't like nuts). It's not dry so it has that going for it. Not sure where you stand on dairy tho....
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

For breakfast, do you like eggs? Maybe an egg white omlet with some veggies in it or egg whites scrambled with some laughing cow cheese melted in?

Cottage cheese with some fruit or berries in it is also good if you're in a hurry in the morning and shouldn't be too dry for your throat.

Good luck!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #6  

Have you really tried all the different vegetables out there? And like none but cucumbers? I find that hard to believe...

If anything dry is out of question, how to you manage to have bread with every lunch? Bread is very dry, isn't it?

How about making soup? It's not dry, you can make a meaty broth, as you seem to like meat, then add some veggies and if the whole thing doesn't appeal to you, blend it, so you get a nice creamy soup. Easy to swallow, and it can be any taste you like. And you can prepare a lot of it and freeze it in portions.

I also second the dairy suggestion - some cottage cheese, joghurt, cream cheese with veggies or fruit is a great meal with plenty of protein.
And for your dinner, as Susan said, just skip the potatoes and have more veggies instead. It's easy and healthy.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote