Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Default I gained this week even though I was on plan!!

And you know what? That's ok.

Because I've lost weight on other weeks. And I've had a gain before.

And you know what else? I bet if I stay on my plan, I'll keep having losses.

And furthermore? My body is so happy with all the veggies and lean protein I've been giving it, and the cross country skiing I've been doing that I'm going to keep on doing that.

Anyone else here who has lost weight and also had gains and weeks where nothing happened along the way? Did you just chill out, check yourself and keep on keepin' on?

I've seen a lot of posts lately of the freak out type. Any chilled out ladies (or guys) want to pop in with some words of wisdom for those who are starting to get jiggy?

seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Great post, with all these weight loss shows lately that show people losing completely unrealistic amounts of weight, it's important to remind everyone that that's not real. Most of us are lucky to lose .5 - 1 lb a week and there will be weeks with no loss and sometimes gain (especially around TOM and after strenuous exercise). This isn't a race people it's a marathon, and it's one we'll be running forever, even into maintenance.

It's so hard to watch people get so frustrated when the scale slows down, I've been there I know how hard it is, but just keep at it, don't give up, I promise you will reach your goals in time, but only if you persist.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I never *liked* getting on the scale and seeing the same or a gain. But the perspective you put in your post is SO important!! That will keep you pushing through the less fun scale weeks!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160/155

Height: 5' 7.5"

Thank you so much for posting this. It was exactly what I needed to hear. All of those ridiculous old doubts started popping up in my head (I'm not worth it, I'm going to fail, I don't deserve this, I'll never make it).
But, you know what? You're right. I DID lose weight all those other weeks. I HAVEN'T lost sight of my goal. I DIDN'T eat off plan. And, most importantly and honestly, I WILL succeed!
Thanks for the insight, when I was too blind to see it for myself.
AshleyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Yep, there with you. I have been having a small freak out the past few days, but woke up with a better attitude today. Because the fact of the matter is, something is going on with my body. There's no way that I can continue to eat/exercise on plan and gain. It will come off, so I just have to keep on keepin' on.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Yup! I have! I just keep it in perspective. I know if I've been eating healthy and/or moving my body. And if I have, and I haven't lost, then I just remember that I'm doing what I need to do and my body will catch up. Its a marathon, not a sprint. The most important part for me is just knowing that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #7  
Refuses to Gain!

S/C/G: 208/192/150

Height: 5'6"

I have lost weight since week one. I lost 11lbs that week. I'm on week four and I'm still going strong...I would have normally given up by now with discouragement...but I refuse to let the scale beat me!

I'm eating so much better, I consume calories in fruits and veggies rather than cookies, cakes, and candy bars...that’s what I'm most proud of! And my exercising! I walk everyday.
chatterbox205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

It's great you have such a good attitude about a gain, especially fairly early on into your weight loss. To be totally honest, I don't know what I would have done if I would have experianced a gain, or even a "same" in the first several months. Knowing that I stayed 100% on plan all the time, I think I would have bawled my eyes out if the scale would have shown a + on my weekly weigh in.

Good for you handling this like a big girl. I would have been a blubbering baby!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have weight fluctuations due to fluid and/or constipation. I have learned to predict them and know that I will have a big loss coming up in the near future. That is, if I have been on plan. The trick for me is to be really honest with myself and be sure that I am weighing, measuring, and counting every bite.

Weight loss is not always linear.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #10  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Yup...it has happened to me and it was the similar mentality to yours that helped me to push through it. I remember when I got to 168 (30lbs lost), I was so ecstatic. The very next week, I shot up to 174lbs even though I was totally on plan. I had no idea why but I kept plugging through and I was rewarded with finally getting to goal.

Just keep pushing...you already have the right mindset. The scale will soon cooperate......
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #11  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the post, Seagirl. I've seen it the last couple days but today I really needed to post on it. It's my weigh-in day, and I didn't lose any.

I think my problem is that for the first several months, I only weighed monthly and was always treated to a loss on the scale. Starting this month, I began weighing weekly. I started off strong after not losing much in December -- down 10 lbs total in January. But the last 2 weeks I've stayed the same, and it is about to pi$$ me off! If I had still been weighing monthly, I would have seen a 10 lb loss for the month and been tickled pink.

I'm determined to keep with the weekly weighing, because I want to start monitoring myself more closely as I get lower and also to start to get a feel for what my body does. I suspect I "woosh", and I want to know that for sure. If anything, I have stepped things up in the last couple weeks. I am really going for it with my workouts! And my eating delicious, whole foods in a very reasonable calorie range has remained constant.

The problem for me is not that I am tempted to throw in the towel at this point, it's that I start thinking, "Okay, time to get this MF scale MOVING -- how can I starve myself, work out in a totally unsustainable way, or in general make myself miserable to make the number go lower FAST? I've had to check myself on this a few times in the last couple weeks, and so I really appreciated the voice of reason from you today!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

GOOD POST! I'm a chilled out lady this time around.

Because I need constant feedback I weigh daily, therefor I see fluctuations daily. In the past, when I haven't had the perspective I have now, I would go nuts and give up when I'd see a 2 lbs gain from the day before. I didn't understand that weight loss is not always linear (thank you 3FC) and that sometimes that upswing is 'weight', not fat (thank you 3FC). Now I just log my daily WI and KNOW that if I stay on plan (honestly, really and truly on plan) my body will follow suit and it WILL come off, sooner or later. And I'm OK with later - because I have seen the alternative, and its not a good place to be. I'm in it for long-haul.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote