Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Would you do the run???

I've been doing the C25K program and I recently ran for 28 minutes straight, my best ever. There's a 5k fun run coming up this weekend in my city that I was going to enter. The problem is no one can be there with me... people are either out of town or unable to come for whatever reason, not that they just don't want to but are actually unable to. It gets me really down to think of doing this run without anyone there to celebrate with me, to see people cheering and know that no one is cheering for me. I have issues with depression and often feel isolated, I worry that it would make me feel even more alone to not have anyone there and possibly set me off into a depression (I'm half way there already). Also, it's going to cost me $10 more to enter because I've left it to the last minute and we are seriously strapped for cash Hubby thinks it's a waste of money but won't say that to me (but he did say I should do something for myself).

Half of me wants to do it to see how I do... the other half of me says I know what I can do and I'm fine with that.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

Do it. Then later in life you can either say "I almost ran a 5k once" or "I ran a 5k once". Which sounds more interesting?
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Well before reading all your post I thought - do it! But, I have no knowledge of really dealing with depression - if you think it is going to make you feel worse then don't go. I do have my down days though, and I know that doing something like that would make me feel better. Exercise makes me feel better in general, and knowing that I just ran 5k would make me feel great.

What about - do 5k this weekend, but maybe not the in run? I know that sounds lonely but it would save you the money. I remember a couple years ago I did that Nike+ thing, "The Day the Whole World Ran" - I did it by myself, I think it was 10k (I walked a lot of) - anyway, it was really awesome; after words I just felt so good for taking part, even if I was all alone. My boyfriend thought I was nuts.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-28-2010 at 12:22 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Do you know how far you ran in 28 minutes? My first 5K took 43:37. I don't want to discourage you at all, but I also don't want you to set yourself up for failure. If you have already run a good 2 1/2 miles, you should be fine to push through the full 3.1! I think doing it under your own steam is almost more gratifying than doing it with help. I ran my first 5K with my dad, but he did it in 30:13--we sure didn't run *together*.

Last edited by stella1609; 05-28-2010 at 12:37 PM.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I say do it!

I have run/walked a ton of 5K's and there are always people along the course cheering you on and at the finish!

And what the heck is an extra $10 if it "saves" your life!!!!

Taking care of yourself is the best thing $$$ can buy!

Good Luck!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-28-2010 at 12:31 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #6  
Gotta run!

I'm under no illusion that I will be able to run the full 5k and I'm ok with that. I just kind of wanted to see how I'd do... there is another 5k in August that is an actual race that I had planned to enter but I'm not sure I want to.

I know there's always people cheering at the end... but no one will be cheering for me specifically. Is it bad to feel that way? Is that petty? I'm aware I'm kind of needy, I really need my support group to keep me from getting depressed and usually it's there for me. Being needy is one of the things I hate about myself. I guess going to a run alone would kind of be like giving myself a vote of confidence but it's also really scary and kind of a downer.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 05-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Do it!

If you feel that you can be "needy" at times, maybe this is a good way to stay fit and challenge yourself to fight that urge to be needy?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #8  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

You could where a shirt that says your name on it like "HI I'M ----"

People will cheer your name when they see your shirt. And they are cheering for you specifically, they're cheering for EVERYONE specifically. Not this amoeba of people.

I think you should do it. Exercise is great for depression. I know how you feel, I've dealt a lot with depression in my young life and it sucks. Exercise is the #1 thing that has helped me the most. The feeling I get after running a 5K is amazing. I feel so happy and carefree and accomplished... like I can talk to anyone in the world and not feel shy

Just go for it.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #9  

I had been running for months before I did my first 5k b/c I wanted to pick a special race (charity race for a cause I care about) and really be prepared. For me, it was excited for the date to get closer and closer and the anticipation was fun and kind of thrilling. I wouldn't have had that if I signed up for one at the last minute.

At my first 5k there were tons of cheerers, and only one who knew me and was there to cheer for me, but I totally owned all the cheers that came my way even if they were anonymous. And it's not petty at all! Makes a huge difference in motivation, at least it did for me.

Given your other concerns, you may want to hold off. Maybe check online for race calendars to find a race in a few weeks that you are excited about that you can prep for and make sure there is someone there to cheer you on. I mean, you know, you want your first time to be special. But don't let it get away from you - if you decide not to do this one, definitely pick one out and register now both to save $ and to commit yourself.

congrats on your progress! Sounds like you are doing great!!!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #10  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 172/160/135

Height: 5'7

Hey Everyone,
I am just starting on this weight loss journey and I noticed that you all run... I have such problems with my breathing when I run..... Do any of you have any suggestions??
nicholeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #11  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I would also say "Do it!"

And while we are not there at the finish line, we will cheer you on right here - before and after when you tell us all the nitty gritty details. Start a thread for it, and tell us what you need.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #12  
Gotta run!

I had planned to enter this run, I was excited before I found out no one is able to be there. Am I whining? I don't know.

Now I've just found out we don't have internet at home anymore. This whole weekend is going to suck!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Auntie Jam, what is the rush? There will be other 5Ks you can do, when your supporters can be there for you.

I think you could be putting too much pressure on yourself. You can continue with your C25K program and work toward the next "fun run."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I say do it! I know you want supporters, but one of the awesome things about running is suddenly realizing that you are doing this and you are doing this for you.

If I waited for support, I'd still be waiting. For me a lot of the battle against depression is realizing that I have to do it and not wait for anyone else, KWIM? What is more isolating? Staying away from what YOU want because you have to do it alone, or doing what you want, alone. I avoided so much before I just decided to do it and celebrate myself.

nicholeg - slow down. Think jog, not run. You are running too fast if you are struggling with breathing. If you feel you can not slow down because you are already so slow that the mechanics dont work, then when your breathing starts to get labored walk until it recovers and run again. But you can probably run slower than you think you can.

MTA: Aunty Jam...I just read your signature line. Read it again!

Last edited by ennay; 05-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #15  
Gotta run!

Bad news... I had decided I would enter, I just wanted to see how I would do but now it turns out I need the money I gave to my Mom to use her credit card for the run. I need it just so I have gas to get to work next week. I don't get paid until next friday. Now I'll be alone all weekend at the house, no money, no one else there, no internet. It's going to be a long and lonely weekend, and it's raining, normally I like the rain but now it just means I can't even go out and work in my garden.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 05-28-2010 at 05:42 PM.