Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default Insane Schedule-Anyone else?

It drives me crazy, and I know it's not an excuse, but it does make things really difficult. Anyone else have issues with it?
Here's my schedule:
3 12.5 hour shifts a week, I work night shift. It's about a 40 minute drive each way to work as well.
I also am completing my bachelor's degree currently. A BSN, I have one 8 hour clinical commitment each week, homework, usually 2-3 chapters to read and papers.
Add in my 5 month old who I feel I don't get to spend nearly enough time with as it is.
My biggest time-waster is I often have to switch my schedule between day and night shift, so I often lose free time because I'm so tired from doing that.

I just already feel pulled in so many directions. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same situation, and did you find a good solution for it?
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

I definately know what it is like to be pulled in many directions. A few years ago I was doing the same thing.

I was teaching full time, going to school to complete my teaching credential/masters and I had a baby at home. I just had to take deep breaths and stay really organized. I also had a great support system in my DH.

Luckily, it was not a permenant situation and hopefully yours is also not a permenant situation.

Stay strong
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

We all have crazy situations. Although I don't work 12 hour days my work schedule is always on the move. 2 weeks of day shift, 2 weeks of swing shift, and 2 weeks of mid shift....and it's a constant rotation. My sleep pattern is forever changing. I work in a mission critical space operations facility for the Dept. of Defense, so I have no control over when I work. My job is mandated by rocket launches and goings on from across the globe.

I'm also working on my 2nd Masters Degree. Add on top of that daily trips to the hospital for chemo sessions due to my husband fighting Cancer for the 2nd time.

Life happens to all of us, we just have to do the best with what ever time we have. You'll be just fine, we all will

Last edited by Hopeful8; 02-06-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #4  
Batgirl will always win.

S/C/G: 201/197/(190 ST; 145 LT)

Height: 5'5

I had a crazy job where I was required to stay up all night at the front desk then I had regular desk hours later that day, I only slept like 4-6 hours a day if I was lucky on top of school. After a breakdown I quit and I am so glad I did. I am getting back to being me.
BatgirlAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful8 View Post
We all have crazy situations. Although I don't work 12 hour days my work schedule is always on the move. 2 weeks of day shift, 2 weeks of swing shift, and 2 weeks of mid shift....and it's a constant rotation. My sleep pattern is forever changing. I work in a mission critical space operations facility for the Dept. of Defense, so I have no control over when I work. My job is mandated by rocket launches and goings on from across the globe.

I'm also working on my 2nd Masters Degree. Add on top of that daily trips to the hospital for chemo sessions due to my husband fighting Cancer for the 2nd time.

Life happens to all of us, we just have to do the best with what ever time we have. You'll be just fine, we all will
You are amazing! And your husband is in my prayers.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #6  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

I will agree that we all have crazy situations... life stuff happens. I have found that now that I have my daughter I feel even more torn between the different directions my life is pulling me.

I used to say to my husband that I hope that soon we can start living the lives of "normal people." He has told me that we are normal people often enough that I'm starting to believe him.

Still, I hope that some of this stuff is temporary. When my husband and I finish our degrees, it will be different stresses at least, right?

I find that our family functions best as a family if, despite whatever else is happening, I manage to do the following:
-Take some time to clean the house every week. It might not be a whole lot, but even a little does wonders for our psyche.
-Force us to do something family-centered every week. It may be as simple as having a family meal and watching a movie that night, but we need that time to reconnect.
-Plan meals for the week and grocery shop ahead of time. It works for me to do this on Sunday. That way, even if we're just eating sandwiches or something, we won't fall into the fast food trap that makes us feel crummy.

Take care of yourself, take time for you, and hug your sweet baby tight when you have the chance.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Nicki: This is something I see too many women doing, the switch from day to nights.
I too have a crazy schedule, am on call (a midwife) and sometimes get all turned about after all nighters too. However, my main work is daytime. Your main work could/should be nighters.
Could you ask if you could do your clinical rotation for school on a night or evening shift? Could you fix things so that you basically stay on or close to your night shift schedule more of the time?
I know what its like to lose hours just turning around, and for you, its hardly worth it since you have to shift back again. This can be wearing on the body, shortens life spans, and truly, could be clinically dangerous over time.
What really happens, (and yes mostly to women with our parenting issues) is we really get behind in sleep and at some point, just crash.
If you can arrange child care etc so that you stay on nights, I think you would find more energy for your daughter (and husband! bet he wants some attention too) and school. It might be the way to find balance and organization.
I see the big difference, when my Dad worked shifts, the house hold universe revolved around which shift he was doing, and he stayed on shift time for the whole month, even days off. Very little difficulty with that, in comparison to those who go off and on.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Nicki: This is something I see too many women doing, the switch from day to nights.
I too have a crazy schedule, am on call (a midwife) and sometimes get all turned about after all nighters too. However, my main work is daytime. Your main work could/should be nighters.
Could you ask if you could do your clinical rotation for school on a night or evening shift? Could you fix things so that you basically stay on or close to your night shift schedule more of the time?
I know what its like to lose hours just turning around, and for you, its hardly worth it since you have to shift back again. This can be wearing on the body, shortens life spans, and truly, could be clinically dangerous over time.
What really happens, (and yes mostly to women with our parenting issues) is we really get behind in sleep and at some point, just crash.
If you can arrange child care etc so that you stay on nights, I think you would find more energy for your daughter (and husband! bet he wants some attention too) and school. It might be the way to find balance and organization.
I see the big difference, when my Dad worked shifts, the house hold universe revolved around which shift he was doing, and he stayed on shift time for the whole month, even days off. Very little difficulty with that, in comparison to those who go off and on.
Yeah I'm a Critical Care RN, so you know the schedule. Unfortunately, my clinical hours cannot be switched to nights. Me and all of my classmates in my RN to BSN program are doing our clinicals on days. The issue isn't childcare as my husband does stay home with the baby. It's just the multi-tasking. I really can't get a break I don't think until I graduate. I debated taking time off of school, but I had a grant that would not be available again next year, so it was really hard to justify, and at this point I think I may as well suffer for the 5 months I have left.
Thank you for the advice. I know keeping the night schedule is better consistency, I just don't have that option until summer. However, things have been put in perspective a bit from another poster. My family and I are healthy-ish so I have that to be thankful for.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Nicki, take good care of yourself as you get thru the next few months. I understand the reasoning for doing it all now, and juggling it all temporarily can be good in the long run. Hope it works out well.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote