Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default Frustrated... shouldn't have bought a new scale!

I am so frustrated this morning. I have been weighing in on my Wii Fit scale for the last two years, and this year, started working in January to go from 165 (in January) to 140 hopefully. Last week, I weighed in on the Wii to find myself at 156, and I was thrilled. Slow going, but going. I have been counting calories diligently, and working out at the gym 3 times a week, and doing strength exercises daily.
So, I tried to weigh the cat (I know, that sounds ridiculous) the other day, and Wii Fit said he weighed an ounce. That was the last straw in weird fluctuations that scale has shown, so I bought a digital scale.
Low and behold, I was 164 yesterday - NO progress over the last 3 months. I was 161 this morning, so that's... something. But I am so beyond frustrated. I got stuck last year at 160, and gave up after 3 months of continuing to try to lose from there. This year was my chance to try again.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe my body just really needs to be at 160?? This is frustrating and stupid.

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry that was so long.

Also, at least one person, please tell me you've also tried to weigh your cat.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #2  

The Wii Fit won't register something that weighs to little. It may not have been the machine that was so off. It's made to weigh humans. It's supposedly uber precise, too. I haven't used mine in a while, but I'm tempted to test it tonight now, LOL.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

My Wii Fit scale is very precise. I use it on carpet with the little leg extender things. I have stood on the scale, weighed myself, then held a 5lb bag of flour, and weighed myself with the flour. It showed exactly a 5lb increase in my weight. (I have also used this same method to weigh my cat, haha).

I started out weighing on my Wii Fit scale and used it for the first several months. However, I became a daily weigher in the last month, and it was inconvenient to turn the Wii Fit on every morning. So I bought a digital scale. The digital scale shows a 1lb higher number than the Wii Fit scale. And I weigh daily on my digital scale and record THAT number, so it's encouraging whenever I hop on the Wii Fit and see a pound loss. And although I no longer record the Wii Fit number, I feel like it's still a legit weight, because that's the scale I started out on. If that makes sense, hehe.

But point being, my Wii Fit scale is fairly precise. If you're using it on carpet, make sure to use the leg extenders. Also, understand that different scales just have variation. They're not all perfectly calibrated. As long as you weigh on the same scale in a consistant manner (same clothes, time of day, etc), you should get an accurate idea of your weight progression.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you are eating too little? If you are diligently tracking and working out something must be off. How much do you eat a day?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #5  
Priscatip

I eat between 1350 and 1500 calories a day. I've been playing a little with a zig zag calorie plan, so there are some days a bit lower and some a bit higher.

The cat gets a scoop in his bowl every morning.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Make sure your wiu has fresh batteries because mine said I gained 5 pounds when I used it with low batteries.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Maybe the new scale would have been higher than you thought your original start point was?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #8  
Priscatip

Thanks for the Wii advice. The Wii isn't even really the problem. It's more just frustration over the same thing happening this year that happened last year, and my body just stopping when it hits this point. I KNOW that I'm not just 'big boned' - I weighed 30 pounds less than this in college. And I don't want to go back to that weight. I just want to be toned and fit and (well this is about the Wii, then) make that stupid Wii say that I'm normal instead of overweight.

I'm just frustrated. It's hard to feel like you're working really really hard and doing what you're supposed to be doing for little or no results. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #9  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Scales are different. I have two (I bought on when I moved out from my last apartment and away from my house-mate's scale I had been using, then I bought another which would measure my Sweetie) I was frustrated with one, and I thought it might be broken so I dragged the other out to see what it said and got yet another different number. That is the last time I did that stupid maneuver. I recommend adjusting to your new scale and using that as your gold standard.

In terms of weighing the cat. I rarely do it. But he weighs himself often enough. After my scale debacle, I left both scales on the bathroom floor. One of them will trigger with just a little bit of weight, so my cat will walk in to the bathroom, step on the scale and trigger it. Then he will sit there while the scale does its thing.

He weighs 11.4 pounds BTW and he is maintaining beautifully.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

ewwww i had this happen too. i got down to 195 and was THRILLED to be under 200. my scale broke, new scale put me at 202. i literally cried.

id say if its been jumping around then id stick with the digital. thats what mine did before it broke. as another poster said, maybe your starting weight was higher than you thought because you were using your wii scale? how about clothes? are you changing sizes or feeling them looser? clothes dont lie!! just suck it up and get back on track. but i TOTALLY feel for you!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I've always heard Wii fit scales are kind of...sucky? But I wouldn't know because I don't even have a wii but anyway:
I got a new scale a couple months ago and it's kind of wacky at times. I've heard that there's like up to a five pound margin on scales, like a five pound off-ness on all scales (I got that from my mom and I have no idea where she got it from so I can't verify). For mine I think it has to do with where I weigh myself, the apartment my mom and I are in is kind of at a slant (like if you roll a ball down the floor it'll go down to the low-point) and the whole place is like this so that's just me. I think that scales can be a little difficult because there's a lot of things that screw it up. I understand what your saying about being stuck and all that, I understand it for sure.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #12  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

If the Wii was off by that much, then you have made progress since January, probably. You might have weighed more then than you thought you did. More importantly, how do you feel, how are your behaviors, and how do your clothed fit? Numbers aren't everything.
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #13  
I have another theory . .

S/C/G: 161/161/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscatip View Post
I am so frustrated this morning. I have been weighing in on my Wii Fit scale for the last two years, and this year, started working in January to go from 165 (in January) to 140 hopefully. Last week, I weighed in on the Wii to find myself at 156, and I was thrilled. Slow going, but going. I have been counting calories diligently, and working out at the gym 3 times a week, and doing strength exercises daily.
So, I tried to weigh the cat (I know, that sounds ridiculous) the other day, and Wii Fit said he weighed an ounce. That was the last straw in weird fluctuations that scale has shown, so I bought a digital scale.
Low and behold, I was 164 yesterday - NO progress over the last 3 months. I was 161 this morning, so that's... something. But I am so beyond frustrated. I got stuck last year at 160, and gave up after 3 months of continuing to try to lose from there. This year was my chance to try again.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe my body just really needs to be at 160?? This is frustrating and stupid.

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry that was so long.

Also, at least one person, please tell me you've also tried to weigh your cat.

Well, that sucks.

If both scales are working but one weighs you more than the other, try weighing a 5 lb bag of sugar on each and compare. Something seems off in the calibration.

As for the cat . .. have you ever poured chocolate syrup on your cat then put him in the freezer to make a cat-pop? I wouldn't recommend it.
Anne Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #14  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've been thinking about getting a new scale, but this convinced me not to. I have a digital one that I've always used (I hope it never breaks) and I used to have a Wii and I think the weights were pretty similar. Maybe your new scale is broken.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
As for the cat . .. have you ever poured chocolate syrup on your cat then put him in the freezer to make a cat-pop? I wouldn't recommend it.
What's that about?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote